• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Where to get C02 gas in Calgary (cheap)

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
So I tried KMS and they do not have C02 - just 75 mix with argon. I have spare 20ft bottle that is ideal for C02 but would last like 30min with the mix for rather steep price to fill. I also have large argon only bottle which I could use to mix both gases or just try MIG with C02 only.

So where can I fill it? It should be rather cheap to do - I seen older KMS price of 20 per 20ft bottle. Any ideas? Supposedly C02 is sold in lbs but I have no idea of how many lbs of C02 go into a 20ft cylinder.

francist

Super User
Got a place that services fire extinguishers? They should be able to fill CO2 no problem assuming they don’t have a problem with your tank.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I know where to get it - but cheap? - no not cheap. oxypro, praxair, air liquide, but you know all that Tom. I bet they want $90. What about a place that sells soda pop syrup and supplies? ie a Coke or Pepsi distributor?

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Got a place that services fire extinguishers? They should be able to fill CO2 no problem assuming they don’t have a problem with your tank.

That's an idea Frank.

How much to buy a CO2 fire extinguisher?

francist

Super User
CO2 extinguishers aren’t cheap to buy, but part of that will be the cost of the vessel. I seem to recall @David_R8 looking at this not long ago.

Beverage distributor is indeed another option, a buddy used to buy the standard stainless steel CO2 tank for a rather elaborate beer fridge he had set up but I don’t know if that would be more or less expensive way to go.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Well, I have a full fire extinguisher loaded with CO2 but there is no way I can easily get gas out of it for a welder. If there was an easy way I would just buy these on auction for under $10 each & recycle them when empty.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
Sodastream. We bought one of these this summer and you can buy the refill bottles at London drugs and Canadian tire

Smaller bottle but they have a brass head on them. They do the exchange program for about 11 or 12 dollars, new bottle is over 20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Sodastream is actually uber expensive. A small 20ft cylinder holds around 10x as much gas as a soda stream cylinder. It would maybe look ugly but work out much cheaper if you connect your soda stream to a small welding cylinder with food grade gas you should save big.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Interesting. My local KMS does CO2 refills which is why I was considering it for my MIG.
Barring KMS, there has to be an industrial gas supplier that will lease you a tank.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor

Tom did you try this route ?

@David_R8 David does your KMS give you a 'full' tank? ie 2000 or 2500 psi ? At this branch in Calgary they just have a manifold of bottles connected together and fill your tank by connecting to the manifold. They don't have a compressor so in practice you get a partial fill, eg. 1800psi or 1600 psi. whatever the pressure is left in the manifold. They give you a prorated price so I guess that does the job. They are so much less than the major vendors it's hard to complain. Anyway I wondered what setup they had at other locations.

I had a strange thought but I doubt it's cheaper. You could get dry ice from a ice supplier, then take the top valve stem off the tank, stuff it full of dry ice, put the top back on, let the dry ice warm up and vaporize. I wonder how much pressure you would end up with. Taking the stem off is probably a terrible idea - nobody do this please - I'm just thinking out loud.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
@David_R8 David does your KMS give you a 'full' tank? ie 2000 or 2500 psi ? At this branch in Calgary they just have a manifold of bottles connected together and fill your tank by connecting to the manifold. They don't have a compressor so in practice you get a partial fill, eg. 1800psi or 1600 psi. whatever the pressure is left in the manifold. They give you a prorated price so I guess that does the job. They are so much less than the major vendors it's hard to complain. Anyway I wondered what setup they had at other locations.

I’m not actually sure as I’ve never done it. I’ve looked for a cheap CO2 tank to no avail.
That said, you raise an interesting question about KMS tank fills.

Context: Barry Hamel, the LWS that I deal with doesn’t fill tanks on site, they come from Vancouver.

I was somewhat dubious that my local KMS has the facilities on site to store bulk gases for refill purposes. But they do give you the same back so your explanation makes sense.

That said my Argon tank from KMS was 2000 psi when new. I also have a 20 cu ft 75/25 tank and the last fill was their list price.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
oxypro == 50 praxair == 70, air liquide == could not even get a hold of them.

So rather expensive for such a small tank and CO2.

https://www.partyrentaldepot.com/about-us/ beer gas so far is the cheapest at just 40 per fill of C02.

There could be some confusion with ft and lbs - co2 is sold in lbs while regular gas tanks are in ft.

Last edited:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Looking at the KMS website it appears that only to Coquitlam location has CO2.
So even if I wanted CO2 from them I couldn't get it.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
So I went to oxypro and it was actually 40 plus they exchanged my cylinder for a brand new one. But I had to get adapter for 22. Not sure whatever $40 is cheap - it feels about 1/2 of oxypro price for C25 (note that small cylinder == 160ft of gas).

Majestic Adam

Brand New Member
Majestic Hydrotest & Valve, We have beverage grade CO2 and CO2 cylinders for sale. We have a pump so we can fill while you wait. 403-640-0116. 36, 4807 - 32 St S.E.