• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Where Is Your Family From?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I wonder what the "vetting" process of the info is? I know with my family there has been slight variations of the who's who and where they fit on the family tree. Apparently with some geanolgy sites they have the birthplace of my grandfather wrong.

There is no vetting process that I know of. In fact the issue you raise is the biggest problem I have encountered. The bigger your tree, the bigger the issue.

But each and every tree is the product of its own author's decisions. You don't have to share your tree and others don't have to share with you. However, I'd like to think (and have generally found) that everyone is interested in accuracy. So it usually all boils down to the credibility of the data and the evidence. I have changed my tree because of others and others have changed their tree because of me. But sometimes, you just have to agree to disagree.

Edit - you can also enter several alternatives when it's not obvious what is right. This can sit as is for as long as you want. When and if information gets discovered to convince you one way or the other, you can hide an alternative or save it as background.

Last edited:

a smile

Lifelong hobby - cold iron
Premium Member
My parents emigrated from Denmark in March of 1957. We came directly to Calgary.
May I ask a question: Why do I see that many of you have stayed in one place since your fathers? And most of the immigrants I know recently from China, they choose to complete their immigration in one place and then go to another city or even another province to live? Who can I talk to? Are Chinese immigrants too utilitarian? Or do you want peace in your life?

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Unlike Americans, Canadians tend to stay in one place. Not all of course but many do. The jobs do tend to pull people to live in other places. For example many people from the province of Newfoundland & Labrador moved to Alberta to get jobs in the oil industry. But many returned.

In my case, my parents came to Edmonton because they were friends with another Dutch couple who had emigrated there. They never left. Only my youngest brother stayed and even he lives outside a bit west of the city. One sister married and she and her husband moved to Calgary. The older sister divorced after my mother passed and moved to California to marry a guy she met on the internet. She's still in California.

And my wife and I moved with our 4 and 6 year old boys to The Netherlands for a couple of years and when we returned we settled on Vancouver Island. Time flies. Hard to believe we've been here now for 29 years.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
May I ask a question: Why do I see that many of you have stayed in one place since your fathers? And most of the immigrants I know recently from China, they choose to complete their immigration in one place and then go to another city or even another province to live? Who can I talk to? Are Chinese immigrants too utilitarian? Or do you want peace in your life?

I think big machines are anchors. So are children. It's just easier to stay wherever they are.

I'm not at all sure that your observation applies as well to Canadian non-machinists.

Aliva

Super User
I and my siblings were born and raised in Sudbury 3 of us stayed here while one moved to Toronto but has since moved back after she retired. My 2 daughters stayed in southern Ontario after attending Western University in London. The main reason for their stay is work. There wasn.t any work in Sudbury for them. One daughter is now in Toronto and the other is in Morinville AB. The one in Alberta married a military man and he's posted at CFB Edmonton So where he goes she goes fortunately she has a work at home job, so she can move anywhere in Canada

a smile

Lifelong hobby - cold iron
Premium Member
I think big machines are anchors. So are children. It's just easier to stay wherever they are.

I'm not at all sure that your observation applies as well to Canadian non-machinists.
I probably understand that the old immigrants have a lot of assets, and more friends, relatives, emotions are difficult to give up, so the lack of enough migration motivation, or migration motivation is not enough to get rid of the old sticky-probably so!