• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Where is the cheapest metal supplier in Calgary?

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
They do 10’ lengths. No cutting. Their web site lists what they have and prices. Steel inc. is another good place to try. He’s more accommodating on cutting but also sells in 10’ lengths. For most
Stuff that’s no problem it’s not that expensive. No minimums either place. They both only carry hot roll and some aluminum.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I go to Steel Inc as much as I can.

Firstly he's a great guy who has had a very tough life.
Second he's a little more expensive than the competitors, but he cuts it up for me FREE.
-- I don't expect this, but most times I only need 2-4 cuts on my order.
Third the quality of his stock is top notch - not bent. consistent thickness.
Forth, he has a very wide range of stock and can get almost anything quickly.
Fifth he insists on helping me load despite his illness (and he never complains).

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
What payment methods does he use? Debit cash?

I've paid by debit there. I assume he takes cash...? I'm not sure about credit cards. He also has thinner gauge sheet stock which is convenient.

Deni822

Just came back from Steel Inc. James has sold the business to a father and son combo who will be taking over sometime in October. I met the father (Mike). They will continue to carry what James has there now but maybe expand the selection once they get settled. The son is a welder so it might be a good fit.
When I mentioned this forum and that it would be nice to have some group buys and such, he seemed open to it. Just thought I'd share.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
We see how prices move around at Steel Inc. Its not like Federal Metals is paying me for advertising them but for small group buys they are the best bang for the buck & their new tent keeps stuff out of elements.

Deni822

We see how prices move around at Steel Inc. Its not like Federal Metals is paying me for advertising them but for small group buys they are the best bang for the buck & their new tent keeps stuff out of elements.
No argument there. I'm going to watch the new ownership at Steel Inc and see what they do and it may be another option to Federal and they might start carrying stock that Federal doesn't.

Last edited: