• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Tool Where can I get metric tapered endmills?

Tool

bigHUN

In GTA or close proximity to L4G7X4.
I need 1 degree angle on flute, 5mm and 6mm on tip, flute length at least 20mm but longer is better?
I tried the common machine shop supplies (KBC for example), most of them have 1 deg and tip 3/16" (too small) and 1/4" (too large).
I need to fix these conical holes in .22 and .25 pellet sizer, this how I got them from a maker, I don't want to return but fix it - needs to be smooth and shiny.

20221118_010308.jpg

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I was clicking around on AliExpress a while back. Lots of offerings but I got the impression standardized angles like 1,2.. deg. Maybe that's another practical metric thing. May or may not be a match to your requirement. I'm pretty sure pin reamers are at specific angles to match specified matching taper pins.

Depending on your machining skills & how hard the material is, that might be a candidate for a 'D' bit shop made reamer.

Attachments

• SNAG-2022-11-26 9.42.56 AM.jpg
    SNAG-2022-11-26 9.42.56 AM.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 2
  • SNAG-2022-11-26 9.43.02 AM.jpg
    SNAG-2022-11-26 9.43.02 AM.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 2
  • SNAG-2022-11-26 9.43.18 AM.jpg
    SNAG-2022-11-26 9.43.18 AM.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 1
  • SNAG-2022-11-26 9.49.43 AM.jpg
    SNAG-2022-11-26 9.49.43 AM.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 2

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Dont know where your located but somewhere big city local, there should be a tool & die grinding company that can grind any size commercially available endmill or reamer you want .

are you talking wood pellets or lead air gun type? I have made sizing dies for larger slugs from stock rod by drilling undersized, manually reaming to end size and than turning an emory cloth arbour on the mouth to give it a small taper start.

bigHUN

I just finished my order from aliexpress for a set of five sizes 3-8mm. Looks like this will be a winter project.
These will be 1.5 degree, I can rework the other parts until these tools gets in.
A friend of my has a machine shop, he told me re-sharpening cutters in GTA costs as much a new.
Yes, my plan is to have a perfect airgun pellets sizing tools, to match my existing barrels. As is now I was getting a good OD but too ,much friction from uneven cone.

Last edited:

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Not sure I understand. If you rotationally grind a conical taper shape from a cylindrical EM, I don't think the cutting edges exist anymore. A new edge would require new secondary relief all along its new helical path. Assuming one had a tool cutter grinder & the fixtures.

Attachments

• EDT-2022-11-26 7.58.52 PM.jpg
    EDT-2022-11-26 7.58.52 PM.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 0
  • SNAG-2022-11-26 8.02.51 PM.jpg
    SNAG-2022-11-26 8.02.51 PM.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 0
  • EDT-2022-11-26 8.07.24 PM.jpg
    EDT-2022-11-26 8.07.24 PM.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 0
Not sure I understand. If you rotationally grind a conical taper shape from a cylindrical EM, I don't think the cutting edges exist anymore. A new edge would require new secondary relief all along its new helical path. Assuming one had a tool cutter grinder & the fixtures.
Obviously it depends on how big the taper is and how long of a cutting edge is.

If you want a custom taper generally you have enough meat on an endmill to grind it. FYI when end mill are sharpened commercially They do reduce the dia, and they do this several times to the extent they are dramatically snaller.

Yes you cut your edge and then cut your relief edge. If you start with a tapered end mill you can increase the angle even more.

And yes your flute is reduced but as long there is flute you should be good.

Important thing to remember this is solution tool to a problem not a production tool.

Anyone with a Deckel or Journeyman grinder should be able to grind it for you.

Last edited:
An alternate way to clean up the hole is do it on the lathe, you know how to set up the cross slide?

Also make some polishing bars to finish the job to a mirror finish.

My feeling that the shop that did the job are not machinists not even hobby machinists as it gives us a bad name. We have hobbyist on this site that could hands down do a better job without trying.

"Think outside the box, otherwise you are doomed to be constrained within your own preconceived ideas" DEGEN