Where can I buy “Sticky Cutting Lubricants”?

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
Has anyone had success with a cutting lubricant for hacksawing or vertical cutting that sticks rather than just running off the workpiece like most normal cutting fluids do?

I’ve heard Anchorlube is like this, but have yet to find a place in Canada that stocks this (apart from Fastenall, which stocks it in cartons of 12).

Trefolex is another one apparently, made in the UK and it seems crazy expensive to order it from the Canadian suppliers

I'm cheap a worn out scented candle from your wife (just make sure there is no wick to catch), beside lubrication adds a nice scent to you shop cutting.

All joking aside, any wax works, don't get sucked in with it's specially formulated so pay the extra price. Soft applies easier so beeswax is good.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I'm cheap a worn out scented candle from your wife (just make sure there is no wick to catch), beside lubrication adds a nice scent to you shop cutting.

All joking aside, any wax works, don't get sucked in with it's specially formulated so pay the extra price. Soft applies easier so beeswax is good.

So... how does one apply this assuming a bandsaw blade? I have lots of bees wax.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Yeah I use that stuff - have some tubes. Its OK. A bit "hard" when cold. Melts on a hot drill bit. When cold it clumps on the bit. Also if you do not run fast and some of it is "left" its just like grease.

Nothing "ground breaking".

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Has anyone had success with a cutting lubricant for hacksawing or vertical cutting that sticks rather than just running off the workpiece like most normal cutting fluids do?

I’ve heard Anchorlube is like this, but have yet to find a place in Canada that stocks this (apart from Fastenall, which stocks it in cartons of 12).

Trefolex is another one apparently, made in the UK and it seems crazy expensive to order it from the Canadian suppliers

I am not suggesting this is better than what others have suggested, and I've never tried it on a bandsaw, but I have no reason to believe it won't work.

I use VIPER high sulphur cutting oil on my lathe. Its quite "sticky" and usually lasts 3 or 4 passes. You just drip a little on and go. Amazon.com has it and you can get it in Canada from the Reamer Guy in BC.

Post in thread 'A question of oil.' https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com/threads/a-question-of-oil.5073/post-73130

Next time I use my bandsaw, I'll try it!

Take a chunk, hold on each side of blade running and cut. Tapping and drilling same thing. You don't need a lot.

Most of the commercial mixes are paraffin wax with softeners, bees wax is is general softer to start (and a commercial sharper in Toronto all they sell mostly is beeswax).

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Sure. All you really had to do is click the link I provided above.

The biggest problem is availability in Canada. You can get it almost anywhere in the USA. But, as far as I know the only guy who carries it in Canada is Gary Eakin in BC.

Bighorn Sales
#17-3960 Drive In RD
Houston BC Canada
V0J 1Z2
Phone: 250-845-2201
Email: thereamerguy@yahoo.ca

It's worth a bit of research so you can see what you are getting. Just google "Vipers Venom Cutting Oil". Lots of really big outfits in the USA endorse it and some sell it. I usually buy a half dozen litres at a time and that lasts forever.

Sorry , I asked before I read your link.
On a side note, I don't see it listed on their site, or amazon.com. Unless I'm being blind today, which is possible.
So there's no issues importing it?
Ken

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Sorry , I asked before I read your link.
On a side note, I don't see it listed on their site, or amazon.com. Unless I'm being blind today, which is possible.
So there's no issues importing it?
Ken

I don't believe there are any export or import restrictions, but there are lots of transportation issues associated with chemicals crossing the border.

Thats why I get it from the Reamer Guy in BC. It might be a bit more than buying it in the USA, but it's hassle free. Besides, it is worth every penny in my opinion. If you use it once, you will be hooked.

And besides all that, Gary and Ebony Eakin are great people and it's good to support them too.

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
I have a big tube of wax of some sort for when I use my wood cutting chopsaw on Aluminium. I think I’ll try that on the porta bandsaw too. Or the Alucut which is more gooey and could be applied with a brush.