• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Product What's your favourite angle grinder?

Product

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I have an ancient Bosch PWS 5-115 4/1/2" angle grinder. Last year I bought a used Makita GA4534 which lasted approximately 36 seconds before releasing the magic smoke.
I'm fearful that my Bosch is going to give up the ghost so I'm on the hunt for another 41/2" grinder.
I have Ridgid cordless so if anyone has their cordless grinder I'd be interested in hearing opinions.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
I'm quite happy with my Dewalt cordless ones...my most used is probably the DCG413, though it's an older model and not the highest beans available, it's still super handy and has taken some pretty decent abuse. They have a new variable speed one the DCG416VSB that looks pretty awesome, might be my choice today...though the flexvolt advantage stuff isn't worth it, the variable speed is.

Also, video on some comparisons of them:

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
I've a couple of corded ones, can't say one brand is better than the others. At work we often just by the maximum ones when they come on sale. They work and dont seem to die any faster than others.

I also have a Makita 18V that I love. Its so convenient! I had someone over on the weekend who's switched to a Makita 40V system and says after using that angle grinder you'd never pick up the 18 again. Maybe, but my use is light and infrequent and when I need more umph use a corded so am happy with the 18V, really nice not have to string cords around my crowded shop.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
The Makita 9015/9016 series, however Makita stopped making them

Tough, at one time I had 4, I'm down to 1, those grinders would go through 3-4 sets of brushes before anything major (excluding the locking pin) broke down, the bevel gears wearing out is usually the end of them

Makita replaced that series with a smaller version that eats 2 sets of triggers for every set of brushes what a scam

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
I've a couple of corded ones, can't say one brand is better than the others. At work we often just by the maximum ones when they come on sale. They work and dont seem to die any faster than others.

I also have a Makita 18V that I love. Its so convenient! I had someone over on the weekend who's switched to a Makita 40V system and says after using that angle grinder you'd never pick up the 18 again. Maybe, but my use is light and infrequent and when I need more umph use a corded so am happy with the 18V, really nice not have to string cords around my crowded shop.

The Dewalt 60v ones are just as good as a big corded one, they are definitely a step up from the 20v ones....so I could see the Makita 40v being a big step up from their 18v too.

Tom O

Ultra Member
I have a 6” one that doesn’t see much use I usually use a 4” grinder from Princess Auto they are cheap and disposable I’ve never really had a issue with them.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I have a few cheap mastercrafts, a 5" rat tail makita that's nice, and a rigid with the necked down handle. They all have their place. My 18v brushless Makita get's the most use these days, unless I'm working on a larger project. My "Favourite" though, is my m12 angle die grinder with a 2" roloc disc. What an awesome tool that is. I want the little belt sander now too.

I have trouble hanging onto larger bodied tools anymore, so the smaller the handle the more likely I am to reach for it.

I have 3, a 5" Makita, a 4-1/2 cheap HF and a 4-1/2 Bosch.

The HF get all the abuse doing the jobs that just are hard on anything, so far it keeps ticking. The Bosch for accuracy.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I have several Princess Auto angle grinders - a regular 4.5 inch, a variable speed 5", a 5" rat tail. Also a very old B&D 15 amp 9". I have a beautiful Hitachi 9", a Snap on, a Hilti, and a largish Makita, all in 120 volt. I really like my Milwualkee 18V which is really nice for short grinding sessions, but not for over than about 15 minutes - the battery won't give out, but the grinder motor overheats. My Dewalt Ni-Cd 18V nevers seems to overheat - and goes on forever, but it has low power. Good for 4.5" flap disks with light pressure, however. Gosh I forgot my new Metabo 4.5" I got at PA for 38$!

I do a lot of grinding and cutting with grinders, I guess. 5 of my grinders were used/abused and gifted to me.

All of the grinders seem to vibrate and abuse my hands except one. And it must weight 6Kg. That is the Hitachi. Smooth as silk, and powerful as heck. I have no idea if the Hitachi in smaller sizes are as nice. At my age, my back wears out before the Hitachi warms up. I bought it on clearance sale at Home Depot for 47$

--- Have I mentioned that I have a weak will for a good deal???

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I have corded. Too inconvenient even if they do work great.

Had 12V stuff that was all just crap. Got 18V Makita and was mostly happy till the batteries quit - ostensibly because they have a chip that tells them when to quit. Not sure I buy that but it seems they do act like it.

Then I got a DeWalt 20V. Serious power. Serious life. I'd buy the 60V system if I could justify it. That's very hard to do given how well the 20V works. The 20V works so well that my air compressor doesn't get used for tools anymore.

I have two 20V Dewalt Grinders. A 4-1/2" angle grinder and a die grinder. Love them both. But the very best of the best 20V tools is my chain saw. It's amazing. To be truthful, it's no lumberjack's Chainsaw. But it does 90% of what I need a Chainsaw for. I hardly ever break out my husky.

jorogi

I'm quite happy with my Dewalt cordless ones...my most used is probably the DCG413, though it's an older model and not the highest beans available, it's still super handy and has taken some pretty decent abuse. They have a new variable speed one the DCG416VSB that looks pretty awesome, might be my choice today...though the flexvolt advantage stuff isn't worth it, the variable speed is.

Also, video on some comparisons of them:
I'm in line for another grinder too. Years ago my dear and lovely bought me a router for Christmas. It was in fact though a Makita grinder and I had no interest in metal work. In time though it became one of my most used and abused tools. Went strong for 25 years with just brushes and a switch. In the last 7 years I have bought 3 more and they are the new improved smart grinders. Absolute junk. The last one crapped out two weekends ago, cut the brain box out and now it works better than ever.
Think I'll go for a yellow one now as that matches the colour of my batteries. I've heard that the variable speed is subject to undercooling when run slowly so I think I'll go basic.

John

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
All my cordless stuff is Ryobi, started off with a drill and stayed with the same brand. We have 2 of the 4.5 inch grinders. keep different wheels on them. They get a lot of use around the farm just not every day. I would not buy this brand for everyday or commercial work though.

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Grinders are common place in everyone’s shop and IMO one of the most dangerous hand tools. Again, IMO, this is where you should only buy a quality brand name tool and if it’s on sale, then all the bigger the grin.

So for safety’s sake - the best features to look for in a grinder are: variable speed; soft start; and rapid braking. My new Milwaukee 18v does all 3. - see my post #185 in the thread “Tools you waited too long to acquire” for a description of it.

Also in that thread I did a rather lengthy description of all my grinders in post # 126. While you’re there take a look at post #127 as a safety reminder and also #125 for your morning smile.

PS - I too have a DeWalt 20v die grinder which is great and i love the 3M Roloc accessories.

Last edited:

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I've heard that the variable speed is subject to undercooling when run slowly so I think I'll go basic
I’ve had my variable speed (made in Germany) Metabo for several years. No problems. I use it mostly at lower speed for better control with a cut-off disc. My other Matabo is non-variable and used for heavy grinding. The variable speed model was over $200. Shortly after getting it, I thought it such a good tool that i got one for my son-in-law too.

Hruul

Lee - metalworking novice
I have five total. two mastercraft ones, two makita 18v cordless, and a dewalt corded 5/6" rat tail. I have all of them in use except one of the makita's. I am lazy about stopping work to change attachments so they all have different disc/wire brush. They all seem to work well, but definitely do not see heavy use.
I got the second makita when they had a package deal when you bought a charger and battery you got a tool for free and the grinder was the most expensive tool. And I already had other Makita tools so it made sense to stick with the same battery type. The mastercraft grinders used to come on sale 2/$50 before covid and that is when I got mine. The dewalt has a nicer handle and the trigger is not locked on like the rest of the grinders which is nice.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I would like to add that 'rat tail' grinders - the ones with a trigger rather than a thumb switch, are far easier to use and after a little use, become your favourite configuration for a grinder....

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
'rat tail' grinders...... after a little use,...... become your favourite configuration for a grinder....

Ya, that new love affair only lasts till "somebody" accidentally cuts the cord... :rolleyes:. Can't do that with cordless.

I do wish the Cordless ones had the same switch setup.

Larry_C9

Super User
Premium Member
I have 2 Metabo angle grinders and 2 of their die grinders. They all have cords. The oldest ones are about 45 years old now and still going strong although the variable speed on the old die grinder packed in and I switched it over to single speed. None of them have done much work in the last 10 years. The oldest two did a lot of work for the fist 8-10 years of their life because I built a steel sailboat.