What's this arbor/center and what should I do with it?

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
Absolute beginner here, with 7x14 lathe...
The seller on AliExpress sent me this by mistake instead of the 'half cutaway' dead center I ordered.
unknown arbor dead center_sm.JPG
(The seller shipped the correct item quickly, so no problem there..)
It's MT2; the stub end taper included angle is 60 degrees. As a dead center for tubing it would seem to have a very limited range of use, and the end isn't harder metal.

What is it, and what can I use it for?

Thanks!

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Tube center or a blank is about all that I can think of. BTB - None of my centers are what I would consider hard except for my carbide tipped MT3 dead center.

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
Thanks for all those ideas!
I think I'd need to make myself a work holder for that MT first, and that's not going to happen on my 7x14 minilathe.
I suppose I could buy a MT3 to MT2 adapter, and mount the MT3 in the headstock....I'll give that some thought. without a drawbar or recess for the tang, won't the MT just slip if I try to turn it?

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Thanks for all those ideas!
I think I'd need to make myself a work holder for that MT first, and that's not going to happen on my 7x14 minilathe.
I suppose I could buy a MT3 to MT2 adapter, and mount the MT3 in the headstock....I'll give that some thought. without a drawbar or recess for the tang, won't the MT just slip if I try to turn it?

I've made MT2/3 dead centers that way no problem.

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
I've made MT2/3 dead centers that way no problem.
Good to know, thanks for that. I'll wander off to AliExpress to see about either a MT2-MT3 adapter or a 'MT extension', as I could chop the socket part from
one of those. The adapter would be cheaper, I think.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Good to know, thanks for that. I'll wander off to AliExpress to see about either a MT2-MT3 adapter or a 'MT extension', as I could chop the socket part from
one of those. The adapter would be cheaper, I think.

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
Thanks.
Or this $9.15 CAD, with free shipping...
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000898273338.html?s
if I had a local BB, I'd go there for my Chinese and Indian stuff; BB does support a few Canadian jobs. But generally I can't afford to shop there because of prices and shippng costs.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Thanks.
Or this $9.15 CAD, with free shipping...
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000898273338.html?s
if I had a local BB, I'd go there for my Chinese and Indian stuff; BB does support a few Canadian jobs. But generally I can't afford to shop there because of prices and shippng costs.

Do you have a KBC or KBS close to you? Lee Valley might even have them (I didn't check). The problem with AliExpress is the god awful wait time:( Check Amazon.

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
Do you have a KBC or KBS close to you? Lee Valley might even have them (I didn't check). The problem with AliExpress is the god awful wait time:( Check Amazon.
Thanks for those suggestions. Yes, long long delays in getting stuff from AliExpress or Banggood..not ideal if I haven't planned well in advance. :)
Nothing much is close to Victoria :). Princess Auto, Cdn Tire, KMS Tools and Leevalley are about 'it'. If I was interested in paying 'stratospheric' prices I could shop with the "no worries on the price; put it on the government/shop account" crowd at Ackalnds Grainger or Western Equipment I suppose, but that's not likely!
If I want something cheap and Chinese quickly, my pick is amazon.ca - though I'd rather not shop there, I often can't afford not to, with free shipping vs silly shipping costs at other places.
Even with Amazon, I need to pay attention - it's easy to pay double or triple the AliExpress price on Amazon and still get shipping taking 6 weeks.
I just ordered a MT2 'extension' Accusize via amazon.ca. My plan is to chop off the socket and chuck it in the lathe. With the 4 jaw I should be able to get it running true enough.

Last edited: