• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

What's this arbor/center and what should I do with it?

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
Absolute beginner here, with 7x14 lathe...
The seller on AliExpress sent me this by mistake instead of the 'half cutaway' dead center I ordered.
unknown arbor dead center_sm.JPG
(The seller shipped the correct item quickly, so no problem there..)
It's MT2; the stub end taper included angle is 60 degrees. As a dead center for tubing it would seem to have a very limited range of use, and the end isn't harder metal.

What is it, and what can I use it for?

Thanks!

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Tube center or a blank is about all that I can think of. BTB - None of my centers are what I would consider hard except for my carbide tipped MT3 dead center.

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
Thanks for all those ideas!
I think I'd need to make myself a work holder for that MT first, and that's not going to happen on my 7x14 minilathe.
I suppose I could buy a MT3 to MT2 adapter, and mount the MT3 in the headstock....I'll give that some thought. without a drawbar or recess for the tang, won't the MT just slip if I try to turn it?

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Thanks for all those ideas!
I think I'd need to make myself a work holder for that MT first, and that's not going to happen on my 7x14 minilathe.
I suppose I could buy a MT3 to MT2 adapter, and mount the MT3 in the headstock....I'll give that some thought. without a drawbar or recess for the tang, won't the MT just slip if I try to turn it?

I've made MT2/3 dead centers that way no problem.

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
I've made MT2/3 dead centers that way no problem.
Good to know, thanks for that. I'll wander off to AliExpress to see about either a MT2-MT3 adapter or a 'MT extension', as I could chop the socket part from
one of those. The adapter would be cheaper, I think.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Good to know, thanks for that. I'll wander off to AliExpress to see about either a MT2-MT3 adapter or a 'MT extension', as I could chop the socket part from
one of those. The adapter would be cheaper, I think.

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
Thanks.
Or this $9.15 CAD, with free shipping...
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000898273338.html?s
if I had a local BB, I'd go there for my Chinese and Indian stuff; BB does support a few Canadian jobs. But generally I can't afford to shop there because of prices and shippng costs.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Thanks.
Or this $9.15 CAD, with free shipping...
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000898273338.html?s
if I had a local BB, I'd go there for my Chinese and Indian stuff; BB does support a few Canadian jobs. But generally I can't afford to shop there because of prices and shippng costs.

Do you have a KBC or KBS close to you? Lee Valley might even have them (I didn't check). The problem with AliExpress is the god awful wait time:( Check Amazon.

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
Do you have a KBC or KBS close to you? Lee Valley might even have them (I didn't check). The problem with AliExpress is the god awful wait time:( Check Amazon.
Thanks for those suggestions. Yes, long long delays in getting stuff from AliExpress or Banggood..not ideal if I haven't planned well in advance. :)
Nothing much is close to Victoria :). Princess Auto, Cdn Tire, KMS Tools and Leevalley are about 'it'. If I was interested in paying 'stratospheric' prices I could shop with the "no worries on the price; put it on the government/shop account" crowd at Ackalnds Grainger or Western Equipment I suppose, but that's not likely!
If I want something cheap and Chinese quickly, my pick is amazon.ca - though I'd rather not shop there, I often can't afford not to, with free shipping vs silly shipping costs at other places.
Even with Amazon, I need to pay attention - it's easy to pay double or triple the AliExpress price on Amazon and still get shipping taking 6 weeks.
I just ordered a MT2 'extension' Accusize via amazon.ca. My plan is to chop off the socket and chuck it in the lathe. With the 4 jaw I should be able to get it running true enough.

Last edited: