• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

North America What's It Like Out There?

North America
Type
Metal

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
@phaxtris jumped on some 3x3 square steel for sale on kijiji and then the members jumped on him. I’m glad to have acquired one piece myself. Metal does come up for sale now and then privately. I’ll buy some and throw it under the bench for the next project. Material is always a problem. My last purchase of 4” round 6061 aluminum was $7+ per pound. Yikes! I need some more - anybody?
I “found” a piece of stainless roughly 1/4” x 12” x 48” on a rig move last week, magnet wouldn’t stick to it

somehow it fell off the trailer into my truck

hate when that happens it’s extra dead weight :confused:

Tecnico

(Dave)
That's actually a decent price.
And hit & miss since they had some.

I think the local franchisee has the latitude to stock what they want even if MSM says they sell it (like O1 & 12L14). I managed to talk my local shop into bringing in (stocking) some 1/16 6061-T6 for a project I have on the go.

D:cool:

Tecnico

(Dave)
Would these work?

Craig

Hi Craig

Interesting they call the hardening material O1 given my reference called it "silver steel". Trivia: There's no silver in it, it just comes with a nice silvery shine.

Yeah, that's exactly what I was trying to match up. The book said both are commonly stocked across the pond.

Oh, and price checking, from today's purchase:

6161-T6 round, 1" @$7.16 and 4" @$9.00 /lb
660 Brass 1.25" round @$28.38

Aliva

Super User
Well I guess I'm pretty lucky here in Sudbury, Just about any metal is locally available probably because they have to support the mining industry. Anything from aluminum, brass, bronze, copper SS, cast alloy steels CRS you name it, there's always someone here has some, or can get it very quickly. ASA Alloys even stocks 376SS pipe. A 20 foot length of 3" schd 80 pipe was $10,000.00 a few years back. The only drawback is price.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Hi Craig

Interesting they call the hardening material O1 given my reference called it "silver steel". Trivia: There's no silver in it, it just comes with a nice silvery shine.

Yeah, that's exactly what I was trying to match up. The book said both are commonly stocked across the pond.

My god, if I sell some of that aluminum and stainless I have I be rich! Even if I sell it way below market prices!

Hi Craig

For the 1" 6061-T6 round I'm buying at about $4.40lb currently.

I've mentioned in another thread, that in my next order I'll consider adding your items to list, be aware that there are minimums that apply. Logistics and payment to be worked out.

Last edited:

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Good to know Degen and that’s a nice offer. I suspect shipping to Calgary would turn $4.40 to $7 /lb pretty quick and be the same as the local supplier. Generous offer though and I thank you for offering up to group purchase.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Well I guess I'm pretty lucky here in Sudbury, Just about any metal is locally available probably because they have to support the mining industry. Anything from aluminum, brass, bronze, copper SS, cast alloy steels CRS you name it, there's always someone here has some, or can get it very quickly. ASA Alloys even stocks 376SS pipe. A 20 foot length of 3" schd 80 pipe was $10,000.00 a few years back. The only drawback is price.
ASA has outlets from Alberta to New Brunswick.
If you need small pieces, get to know some shops in your area and offer them to buy drops from their cut-off saw. Most machine shops have lots of small pieces around their saws.