• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

What would you do with this Enco Automatic Facing and Boring Head?

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Our mill is an R8 Bridgeport.

This Enco automatic facing and boring head appears to be NMTB40 mount. I'll measure when I get a chance to verify positively what taper is on this head.

Hold it and search for used R8 mount, apparently parts are rare.

Sell it,

Or make an R8 mount? The thread for the mount is apparently .938 dia /12 TPI, and not M24 2mm

So what should we do with this automatic boring head?

IMG_20221130_205113584.jpg

IMG_20221130_205024226.jpg

robert million

Premium Member
you might want to check out Stefan Gotteswinter where he modified a wohlhaupter mt4 shank to 32 mm to be held in collet do not know whether your shank is solid or hollow

gerritv

Gerrit
.938-12 is most likely 1-12 then since typically the outside diameter is nominal-(2x(pitch/10)) or something like that. Buy an R8 blank arbr and cut the thread. The design projects to use these nifty things. I don't have the Z height, else would have one by now

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
.938-12 is most likely 1-12 then since typically the outside diameter is nominal-(2x(pitch/10)) or something like that. Buy an R8 blank arbr and cut the thread. The design projects to use these nifty things. I don't have the Z height, else would have one by now

That would certainly be inexpensive option with little lost if the thread is incorrect. Since they're ground the run out should be acceptable. I'll pull the taper off and see how long a stub would be required. Thanks.

A sale looks less likely.

trevj

Ultra Member
Enco Boring and Facing heads were made in France (makers name not coming to the fore right now. Wanna say Gamet.), and have been described to me as "pretty good stuff!"

Personally, I'd be all about getting a suitable arbor and fitting it to the head. Tuck the other away, for future mill upgrades, or simply to make it that much more an attractive option, if you do decide to part with it.

I have had the good fortune to pick up two Wohlhaupter heads, a UPA2 with a MT2 taper, and a UPA1, with a 3/4"straight shank on it. Figure they will be in my tool box when they bury me... In a long time! :)

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Enco Boring and Facing heads were made in France (makers name not coming to the fore right now. Wanna say Gamet.), and have been described to me as "pretty good stuff!"

Personally, I'd be all about getting a suitable arbor and fitting it to the head. Tuck the other away, for future mill upgrades, or simply to make it that much more an attractive option, if you do decide to part with it.

I have had the good fortune to pick up two Wohlhaupter heads, a UPA2 with a MT2 taper, and a UPA1, with a 3/4"straight shank on it. Figure they will be in my tool box when they bury me... In a long time! :)
Yes I'm pretty sure its Gamet

Rauce

Ultra Member
I might suggest a making a straight shank arbor.

My wohlhaupter came with a 3/4” straight shank and I prefer it to my R8 shank conventional boring heads. The Z height you need to get a boring head with a tool in it out of the spindle if it’s a R8 is substantial. Can get annoying having to drop the table or move things out of the way.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Its a keeper. The equivalents like Wohlhaupter, Narex, EMCO (very similar Taiwan automatic BH often confused with Enco) are big bucks. I seem to recall an article describing how the arbor was removed. I don't think it was difficult but there was a procedure. But as mentioned other BH arbors are more permanent & I think thats why they resort to turning down. You should investigate.

Anyways, the prize of automatics is they can traverse laterally across work at feed rates & defined by the adjustable stops> Normal BH you set diameter & traverse into the hole axially only.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
BTW what is the nominal size of tooling shank? If metric that scares a lot of people N-Am machinists. But know that you can decent metric insert style shanks intended for regular BH these days.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I've had in the back of my mind to get a used automatic boring head one day - I'm glad you found one!

-it would be well worth it to convert it to R8 for your mill... The way things cost, you might be almost as good buying a mill for your boring head! I've seen used Wohhapters north of 2k$ - a good buy, but out of my range...

trevj

Ultra Member
My straight boring head shank is so close to dead on .750" and 19mm, it's pretty hard to tell what it is actually supposed to be. IIRC, it is a couple thou Under being 3/4", and a hundredth or so Over being 19mm, just close enough that it could be either.

Lesse. Measured at .7490", in inches, 19 .03, in mm. With a digital Caliper, FWIW (best I have in hand!).

Not really thinking it would be a hardship to put it in either a 3/4" or 19mm collet.

Rauce

Ultra Member
I've had in the back of my mind to get a used automatic boring head one day - I'm glad you found one!

-it would be well worth it to convert it to R8 for your mill... The way things cost, you might be almost as good buying a mill for your boring head! I've seen used Wohhapters north of 2k$ - a good buy, but out of my range...
Keep an eye on auctions, I got my UPA3 for about $350 last year. Missing some accessories and the locking pin but was an easy fix.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Keep an eye on auctions, I got my UPA3 for about $350 last year. Missing some accessories and the locking pin but was an easy fix.

Narex come up at auction often. But they only tend to be affordable when they're missing parts. But plenty of of other automatic heads come up enough to warrant watching

Xyphota

Ultra Member
Jokes aside, I do not have a boring head yet but have been keeping my eye out for something without too much urgency as I haven't absolutely needed one yet. Are there instances where you would not use an automatic boring head over a regular boring head? Maybe I should increase my budget a bit and just get an automatic one if one comes up at a fair price.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Jokes aside, I do not have a boring head yet and have been keeping my eye out for something without too much urgency as I haven't absolutely needed one yet. Are there instances where you would not use an automatic boring head over a regular boring head? Maybe I should increase my budget a bit and just get an automatic one if one comes up at a fair price.
All I know if that my brother says automatic head is vital in some operations, like facing in order to get smooth finish

Xyphota

Ultra Member
For sure, I know it has more functionality than a regular boring head, I'm just asking if there is anything it shouldn't be used for? I presume it can be used as a regular boring head, or be used as a large fly-cutter in a pinch?

Another way to ask my question, if someone already owned an automatic boring head, would there be any reason to purchase a regular boring head?

Rauce

Ultra Member
I have both, I had regular boring heads first in 2” and 3”. An automatic boring and facing head will do regular boring just fine so I don’t think you need both.

I have at least one surplus 3” regular boring head so if you want one, I’d sell it very cheap.

I’ve honestly only used the facing function once besides just testing it out. At work we have a Narex that I use more frequently but usually it’s to do something that would be probably be easier on a lathe with the right workholding. For some reason we only have a 3 jaw at work, no 4 jaw or faceplate.