What to drink?

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I used to be a whiskey drinker...Crown or Wisers, until i tried the Kraken. I try to save it for special occasions now. Its powerful stuff.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Scotch is one thing I can't drink. I've tried to like it, but no...
You'd really not like the Islay type. They are very peaty. I know people who won't touch it. It used to be the cheaper of their offerings below the price of their milder 10 year old. But I think demand drove up the price above the 10 year old.

BMW Rider

Super User
This is an acquired taste. Had enough of this that I now own a single square foot of peat bog in Scotland.
View attachment 40217
I don't think I've had that particular Laphroaig, but have sampled a few of their wares. My particular favourite scotch is Lagavulin 16 year, but the prices have really jumped up now, so I'm having it less frequently and sampling some of the more affordable Islay scotches. I do love a good smoky peaty scotch.

I'm also trying to expand my bourbon experience lately trying out some of the more boutique varieties.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
Well take that bottle of Canadian Club and pour it in the driveway. Then get some Gibson's Finest. As to what you have left, i can't help you other than to say after you sample each one, taste will be the least of your worries.:)

Have you tried the CC 12 year though? Big difference over regular CC.

I will add some Gibson's to the shopping list for next time.

JustaDB

Ultra Member
Sooo...which one for my next glass?
I realize this is a day late, but...

Personally, the Knob Creek. Or the CR. It's made w/ corn & has a nice sweet finish.

Wouldn't have laid money down on the Jim Beam or the Gretzky. I would have needed a taste of the CC12 before I bought it, too. Was never a fan of regular CC. Never tried the Signal Hill or the Dillon's. I have a bottle of Jack that's been in the fridge freezer for probably a decade or longer. Rarely makes an appearance any more.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Scotch is one thing I can't drink. I've tried to like it, but no...

Same. I've tried many different kinds over the years, and all the scotch drinking guys I know keep telling me I just haven't found "my scotch". I mean, I'll keep trying if they keep pouring, but so far none have really spoken to my Scottish tastebuds. I think the Irish side in me is much stronger as I love my Guinness.