• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

What to do when a tap breaks in a hole??

va2fsq

I was tapping a 3mm hole when the tap just broke off. I need that hole!!
I guess I could make it a little larger, like 4mm. What should one do?
Thanks

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
How bad do you need it? A shop with a EDM machine can burn the tap out. That is a last resort I think. I've seen turn wright on you tube build up a bead of weld one little blob at a time till he had enough sticking up to be a handle. It was not on such a tiny thread though. tap removal tools... somebody on here should have a good suggestion.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Tap removal tool maybe but at that small it gets extra difficult. Even going the next size up can be difficult cuz the broken tap will bugger you up on drilling it out. Sorry I know of no sure fire easy way.

va2fsq

I guess I'm screwed...
I can drill another hole next to it but that means I have to 3d print the equipment I was going to attach all over.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
As Chicken lights states, they do make broken tap removal tools that go into the flutes. They look like this (there are others):

B11FEE55-5CE1-4E56-94D3-80F048F7ED77.jpeg

i don’t have any metric ones.

lots of times they don’t work because you can’t get them into the flutes because they are jammed up with chips (the reason the tap probably broke in the first place [one of the main reasons anyway]).

That leaves two options: as Janger suggests - EDM. Or, use a carbide drill bit and drill the tap out. The problem is carbide will shatter if it sees too much of an interrupted cut - as in coming out sideways of the tap while drilling. The key would be to drill straight though the tap leaving the wall thin enough that it can be collapsed, then you create enough room for the threaded portion of the tap to disengage from your part and pick the pieces out bit by bit. You will most likely damage the original threads; if you can go to M4, no problem. If you can’t, maybe a M3 Helicoil could help afterwards. Or, just machine all the bad threads out oversize and make a plug you can locktite in and then re-thread it M3.

Whatever you decide to do - you will need loads of patience!

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I’ve been there. Patience, dental picks, hot cup of tea, Top Gun playing on Netflix, Kroil penetrating oil and more patience.

Try to get the picks into two of the flutes and then turn like you were picking a lock.

I spent 2 hours and then “it moved” like a couple thou. More oil and more practice......

I won!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Johnwa

Ultra Member
I’ve read that either a solution of Alum or nitric acid will selectively dissolve a steel tap versus aluminum.

va2fsq

When I was a teenager, I would go to the pharmacy down the street...I could buy anything, Nitric acid, sulfuric acid, you name it. I once bought Sulfur, Saltpeter and granulated carbon.... Mixed up a batch and succeeded in burning a hole through our back porch....
Could have been worse I guess...
Anyways, I tried a larger drill and succeeded in drilling to the side of it. So, it's a write off. I am going to fill the hole with something black so it looks nice and reprint the part with the mounting holes shifted away. Then I am going to take much more care tapping the hole.
Thanks for all the replies. I'll keep this thread in mind for the future.
Bets regards, Tom

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I've seen the YouTube videos & heard the same advice on alum solution. There seem to be 2 results: 1) works 2) doesn't work. I was in the camp #2. Despite following the concentration & heating instructions & very encouraging looking bubbles streaming out of the hole, it made a complete mess of my (2024 aluminum) radial crankcase which has a broken M3 tap stuck it a blind hole. Results may have been attributed to the tap itself. It was HSS based but was coated (Sowa blue ring type) as opposed to conventional bright. Possibly the solution had a tougher time etching the tap before all the rest of the aluminum started looking like it sank beside the Titanic. Or related to 2024 alloy vs 6061? I dunno. I would never attempt it again on a part I cared about.

It ended up being junked which was an unhappy day, but I did work away at the tap with other methods just for future education. If its a small tap or landed in tight or well packed with chips or spral flutes vs linear ... it makes the typical tools & picks & methods that much more difficult. I had a tough time milling down on the tap even with a carbide end mill, both flat & ball ended. I made something like an annular cutter from O1 with the idea to just drill past it & not through it. I made some practice holes on aluminum & then somehow managed to lose the cutter (along with interest) so never did get to try it on the stuck tap. I had to peck drill because its not efficient to remove chips but I think it would have worked. In hindsight a simple D-bit type edge is probably all one requires. To fill the hole just Loctite in a matching aluminum plug which probably has to be done in any event.

An EDM is probably the best solution but I have no direct experience using or making one.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
You can fake an EDM in a temporary way with an aquarium pump, distilled water, a plastic pan, a 12v battery charger, and a very steady hand. The bigger the charger, the better. You are only eroding the centre web of the tap.

It is more tedious than TIG welding, but you can erode away the tap with an arrangement like this. I did this only once, about 30 years ago. It took 5+ hours for a 1/4 tap, but it saved the part. I can't remember how I grounded it, but the current CANNOT pass between the tap and the aluminum hole or you're sunk. I think I used a copper wire to touch off on the tap. The electrode can be anything, but I used a piece of copper coated steel welding rod intended for oxy-acetylene.

Crankit

Oxtools did a YouTube video on bolt extraction which got into HSS extraction. He's got some neat pointers.