• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

What the heck is all this stuff, my new mill came with this.

Kilohertz

Slightly left of Vernon, BC
In picture #4 - what is the black unit in the middle of the picture?

Thank you. Yes, that was my question as well...it weighs about 30lbs, solid steel, machined surfaces all around and almost looks like 321 blocks on top, the blocks slide very smoothly and there are holes drilled through the rail like it is meant to be bolted with T-bolts to the table, maybe a work piece support for long pieces??

Anyone? I'll attach a few more pics.

cheers

IMG_2082.jpeg

IMG_2084.JPG

Kilohertz

And today I cleaned all the grunge off the items and freed up the stuck rotary table, smooth as silk now, happy. Cleaned all the bits and some are near new, some...well not so. I will probably make some new bits look the same as I learn. And we found another 5 index plates for the rotary table, cool.

Oh, and I found a nice little vice on my MFB, swivel base, but can be separated.

More later.

cheers

IMG_2074.jpeg

IMG_2073.jpeg

IMG_2076.JPG

IMG_2077.JPG

Kilohertz

Those look like awfully large indexing plates. What size is the RT?

It's 6" I think, I'm not in the shop right now. There was an index plate bolted to it when I got it, these other 5 are the same diameter.

Kilohertz

Totally awesome score! You have hours of enjoyment just figuring out how to use everything. Amazing!

Probably more like days figuring it all out. :) I spent an enjoyable 2 hours this afternoon out in the sun with the parts washer making everything look nice, watching the snow melt...come on spring.

cheers

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

Looks like a fixture designed to hold a wrap or two of duct tape in position.

Seriously, it looks more like a piece of farm equipment. Nothing to do with machining.

Prolly bolts to a frame of some kind and allows repositioning of something - eg changing the pitch of a plow blade.

How tight is the fit?

Do the holes line up with the T-slots on the mill?

I bet you have it upside down. Can we see a pic flipped over?

Regardless, you just scored some nice chunks of steel that are hiding some future things inside them.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
In one haul you got everything most new mill owners spend hours on the net looking for at an affordable price....awesome buy my man, and im betting the mill will perform just fine, those #30's aren't in the same ball park as Bridgeport's but with a little jib setting it will be just fine for a new mill owner...miles better than a mini mill or no mill at all.

I think that dovetail/sliding block affair may be an attempt at a home-built taper attachment for some unknown lathe or another.

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
It's all scrap. I'll send you my address and you can ship it to me. ;)But you pay the shipping...

Totally awesome score! You have hours of enjoyment just figuring out how to use everything. Amazing!

Beat me to it! I was going to tell him the same thing!! Well, I was l going to pay shipping to make it easier on the guy cleaning up. :D

Congratulations @Kilohertz ! Getting stuff like that (unknown tools) opens up doors to skills that you did not know you wanted or even existed. Enjoy!

trlvn

Ultra Member
A full set of index plates. And a cool old vise.

My jealousy meter is pinned in the RED now. ;)

Just to bring things back to earth a bit, it looks like several of the tool bits (image 2) have seen better days. For example, the corners seem to be gone from the dovetail cutter. Even if pooched, the old cutters are a good source of high speed steel for a future need.

<Deep breaths. Be happy for the OP. No crying.>

Craig

Kilohertz

Thanks guys! Nice to know I landed some useful items, and as mentioned, it's going to take some time to learn how to use it all, properly. Some of the bits I see molten aluminum on, probably not an ideal cutting speed, and yes some chipped or missing cutting edges on others.

Between this estate purchase and my purchase 2 weeks ago of the Atlas MFB and loads of bits and tooling and such that came with that, I think I am pretty much setup for milling bits and tooling and such and won't need to visit KMS or Busy Bee for a long time. :cool:

Thanks again for the help, good to find info on the items I didn't know about.

Cheers

PS, to the guy that pointed out the file handle, turns out it's a Cluthe, made in Canada, made the purchase all worthwhile. :)

Last edited:

Kilohertz

Looks like a fixture designed to hold a wrap or two of duct tape in position.

Seriously, it looks more like a piece of farm equipment. Nothing to do with machining.

Mmmm, it's a pretty expensive looking piece, maybe robotics??

Prolly bolts to a frame of some kind and allows repositioning of something - eg changing the pitch of a plow blade.

How tight is the fit?

Very tight and smooth, glides smoothly on the rail.

Do the holes line up with the T-slots on the mill?

No, the holes on the rail are countersunk to allow mounting it on a machined surface, all surfaces of this are machined super smooth and flat. I'll post some more pics after work and of it flipped over.
I bet you have it upside down. Can we see a pic flipped over?

Regardless, you just scored some nice chunks of steel that are hiding some future things inside them.

Agreed, cheers!

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Thank you. Yes, that was my question as well...it weighs about 30lbs, solid steel, machined surfaces all around and almost looks like 321 blocks on top, the blocks slide very smoothly and there are holes drilled through the rail like it is meant to be bolted with T-bolts to the table, maybe a work piece support for long pieces??

cheers

View attachment 22260

View attachment 22261

Thats a linear rail and 2 bearing blocks

Kilohertz

Thats a linear rail and 2 bearing blocks

Darren wins the prize!! Good job. Probably won't need it on the mill, but who knows.

Thanks!

molson-coors-molson-canadian_1462222296.png

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Possible future project. The annoying aspect of the RF30 mill is the round column, when you raise or lower the head it loses radial alignment. If the linear rail is beefy enough, maybe it could be used to provide fixed radial location of the head. Could be fun to figure out.

Kilohertz

Possible future project. The annoying aspect of the RF30 mill is the round column, when you raise or lower the head it loses radial alignment. If the linear rail is beefy enough, maybe it could be used to provide fixed radial location of the head. Could be fun to figure out.
Now that sounds like a cool idea, certainly something to look at when I get it home.

Cheers