• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

What the heck is all this stuff, my new mill came with this.

Kilohertz

Slightly left of Vernon, BC
Just bought a 23 year old RF30 clone, a Craftex 30 and it came with some bits I'm not sure what they are for. I'm new to milling so go easy on me. I would appreciate knowing what the items are, I can then research how to use them. I know what the index wheel is, but it seems stuck, handle only turns 180*. Need to find a manual for it. Yiyen machine tool company. From what I have researched, a lot of it came from Busy Bee.

Thanks all.

Cheers

IMG_2064.JPG

IMG_2067.jpeg

IMG_2068.JPG

IMG_2070.JPG

IMG_2065.JPG

IMG_2066.JPG

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
img_2065-jpg.22173

img_2067-jpeg.22170

Rotary table with indexing plate and tailstock for the table.

You've got too much stuff in each image to zero in on specifics.......

How much did you pay for all of this stuff?

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
a couple of boring heads, a nice big carbide face mill, a very new looking set of keyway broaches, a couple of lathe cross slide tables, some beefy-looking stepper motors with ball screws. Was this all included with the mill? Kind of looks like a partially completed CNC conversion

Kilohertz

Yes to all...The (deceased) father was an electronics fellow and had it setup with 3 axis DRO feeding a laptop. The cct brd was all hand made, chips and such, going to a parallel printer cable, not sure what his plans were, son is not a machinist.

There may be some stuff pictured that wasn't specific to the mill, we just loaded what looked to be the right stuff. The slitting saws have different bores, I have an Atlas MFB with the arbor, just not sure how these would mount in the mill spindle. The wood box with all the keyed pieces, what is that for? The cutter wheels seem to fit nicely over them, so much to learn...

The Craftex is R8 so I know what those collets are for, just not sure how the other bits fit. The 2 slides taped together might be for another machine?? What is the long black dovetail bar with 2 blocks mounted on it for?

Thanks all, one day I hope to be able to help someone like me as I am now.

Cheers

trlvn

Ultra Member
BTW, in image 4 there is a 'wrench' (socket on a handle) that is used to lock the head to the column of the mill/drill. See the right side in the middle. There is a hold in the motor bracket where the wrench is normally stored although it can vibrate in there and make an annoying sound.

Craig

trlvn

Ultra Member
Also in the back of image 4 there is a dark blue vise. I think it was mounted on the mill/drill in a picture in your other thread. It isn't really a "milling vise", however. Just a large drill press vise. The movable jaw has too much freedom so work will almost certainly lift as you tighten it. You can use it for (light) milling and just compensate for the lift. But you'll likely want to buy a better vise in the future.

Craig

Kilohertz

Black file handle beside boring head

Who's a funny guy...good one.

How much did you pay for all of this stuff?

$1200
Thanks for all the help boys, appreciate it. Yes, I pulled the vice off to remove some weight for the move but it hardly weighs 5 lbs, certainly not good quality. I am starting the search for a good solid 4" vice. I also need to start reading my machinists handbook to start the learning process.

The machine fired right up and I moved all the axis's and raised/lowered the head. The tire wrench was sitting right on the bench and fit like it should. The rotary head was across the shop on a shelf and I was lucky to spot it, the garage is stuffed with 40 years of collecting.

I'm going to put all the items in a parts washer and clean all the years of YUCK off them and start organizing the shop so I can unload the machine with the excavator when it arrives and place it on it's stand.

More later.

cheers

Kilohertz

the wood box is a keyway broach set. Used to cut key ways in pulleys or shaft collars. Looks like a #10 set with a bunch of extra bushings.

Thank you. Now I know what all the broaches are for that came with my MFB a few weeks ago, was missing all the bushings. Now I have a complete set and know how to use them...

TubalCain to the rescue.

How to use keyway broaches

Cheers

Kilohertz

Oh my, you got a DEAL! Nice score!

This is all assuming the mill is true and spindle is straight and there's no slop in the table. I didn't do a runout test only started it and moved all the axis's. Have no idea what the lead screw and nuts are like either...fingers crossed once I get it home and have a good chance to go thru it, and CLEAN in, holy cow, it's dirty.

Thanks!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
@Kilohertz That haul is very similar to what I got with my mill/drill. I just wanted the mill, but the fellow I bought it from wanted his garage emptied out. He just kept going back for more. AND I LET HIM! For a while I thought he was gunna load up his girlfriend too!

5 years later I still didn't know what half the stuff was. But back then, I didn't have the folks on this forum to help me like you do.

Nice thing about your haul is that you have already made out like a bandit even if the mill has problems! Just keep smiling! And HAVE FUN!!!

My wife loves to tell me how much she saved me by getting stuff on sale. Then wants to go spend the savings. I think you should try that line on your significant other. Heck, with what you saved, you can go buy a brand new mill!

Congrats on all the new toys!