• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

what is this thing?

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I thought it was one thing..

now I dont know.

IMG_20230326_211435138.jpg

IMG_20230326_211513181.jpg

beautifully made, snug lid with a tapered/convex underside. Why the hole? I hope this isn't radioactive or anything.

here is the contents of the canister

IMG_20230326_211558097.jpg

IMG_20230326_211611954.jpg

van123d

It looks a bit like a calibration weight. The construction is different than ones I have seen though and the 106 is an odd designation.

Have you tried weighing it to see if it is a standard value or perhaps 106g?

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
It looks a bit like a calibration weight. The construction is different than ones I have seen though and the 106 is an odd designation.

Have you tried weighing it to see if it is a standard value or perhaps 106g?
exactly what I thought.

until I weighed it. On two scales and it weighted 136 grams. maybe it is for system that is 30 grams out of balance?

I wonder why the hole in the lid too... why if it is just a calibration weight?

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Possibly a non cone type plumb bob that weighted the line which ran through the hole in the top???

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I could be wrong but I would guess the hole is just there to allow pressure equalization so that the tight fitting lid can be used.

Have you tried removing the stem? Are there any clues inside?

The lid fits so snugly that I think you are correct.

I tried just by hand, but tomorrow I'll try to remove this tiny allen head grub screw