• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Tool What is this gizmo?

Tool

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The front plate is prolly one inch tool steel.
@CWret - actually it is even fatter than that. The thinnest section where it is machined out for the rails is 1 inch thick. The plate is actually 1-1/2. Very beefy. Very solid.

I got another smaller non-motorized unit at the same place. While smaller than the one that is the subject of this thread, it still looks a lot like a giant spin indexer. The difference is the plate and sliding V-Block on the front instead of a collet system and the fact that the smaller one is purchased not custom.

We have company coming from out of town arriving in an hour or so, but I'll try to find time to post a photo of it too.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Here is the smaller one. It is an ATCO Whirlagig Grinding fixture

20231004_095017.jpg 20231004_095026.jpg 20231004_095038.jpg 20231004_095056.jpg

Perhaps he paid big bucks for the smaller one when his home made one didn't work as well as he expected, or perhaps the smaller one wasn't big enough so he made his own. Who knows?

Regardless, I think those who thought the big one was a grinding fixture were right.

There is a small chance that the small one will fit my surface grinder.

I'll prolly make parts from the big one....

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
It was fun to speculate about which came first..... The ATCO or the custom motorized.

Also wondering what the setup looks like on the grinder.

trevj

Ultra Member
It was fun to speculate about which came first..... The ATCO or the custom motorized.

Also wondering what the setup looks like on the grinder.
What it looks like on the grinder, depends almost entirely on the use it is put to.

Your set-up is going to change, depending on the work and results you wish to achieve.

Other than that, I'd say, it is gonna look a lot like it does sitting on the bench, except, with a grinder around it! LOL!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Other than that, I'd say, it is gonna look a lot like it does sitting on the bench, except, with a grinder around it! LOL!

Can't argue with that Trev!

So what's the most common?

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
Nice find... Be glad you are not buying new on that kind of thing !!! I linked an example... Back in the day... I worked with a Harigs fixture. Very important thing on grinding cylindrically... ALWAYS make sure your stop is set behind the center of grinder wheel. If not, you will have an accident and in best case, you will just smash your fingers... !!! If you need further sketch, I will add it.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I have a Taiwanese clone of the Harig. The Atco has some characteristics that make it more versatile. The plate on the front is bigger, thicker, and it has more mounting holes. The Harig is more accurate, but it is accurate beyond the needs of many (most?) machinists.

Since mine is one of those 'exact clone' things I don't have the advantages of the Atco. But I'm not complaining. The one I have will outperform my abilities and I prolly won't need the extras of the Atco anyway.

trevj

Ultra Member
Can't argue with that Trev!

So what's the most common?
Most common?

Whatever work you have that it works for, that's what!

In all seriousness, if you need to sharpen or make punches, that will be most common. If you want a flat on the side of a end mill that does not have one, or a flat on a shaft, then that is.

Limited only by your imagination, and somewhat by your desperation to get a job done without having to send it out!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
In all seriousness, if you need to sharpen or make punches, that will be most common. If you want a flat on the side of a end mill that does not have one, or a flat on a shaft, then that is.

Thanks Trev. I think it would fit my 6x12 magnetic chuck for that purpose. I'd have to take the shield off though. Scary thought.......

trevj

Ultra Member
Thanks Trev. I think it would fit my 6x12 magnetic chuck for that purpose. I'd have to take the shield off though. Scary thought.......
Yeah, I think once you got in to work that fit it, you would find that it is a pretty handy tool to have around!

As to the shield, maybe ask around, see if you can find someone that does metalwork, and see if they can make you a modified version! LOL! ;P