• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Tool What is this gizmo?

Tool

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
After @thestelster posted about his grinder accessory, in thread 'Clarkson Mk2 Tool and Cutter Grinder' https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com/threads/clarkson-mk2-tool-and-cutter-grinder.8833/post-127031

I got to thinking about my own nameless gizmo acquired with a bunch of other tools on Kijiji.

It has Indexer features complete with pin stops and a fine tune, a variable DC motorized belt drive, a manual crank handle on bearings, a large mounting plate, a center system with a V-Block on guide rails, and what I think is an air-bearing with an air hose quick connector - although it is a far cry from frictionless no matter how much air pressure I feed it.

It was custom made by its previous owner for some unknown purpose. The previous owner passed away and that's how I came to have it. He was a very highly regarded machinist who was even machinist of the year for Ontario. I feel honoured to have some of his tools.

A bunch of the tools and fixtures he made are easily identified. But I am not sure what this one is. Anybody?

20231002_193029.jpg20231002_192852.jpg20231002_192716.jpg20231002_192456.jpg

Well, I will take a swing at it. Like thestelster, me thinks its perhaps a twin purpose unit. The hand crank works with the index, which appears to have at least 24 holes. The motor drive is perhaps used for grinding/machining off set pins, off set can be set on the face plate. Could be used to turn simple crankshafts/etc. Looks like a very simple/small crank grinder in some ways, with out the grinding wheel.
Did the former owner make any smaller engines?
Otherwise??

Did the former owner make any smaller engines?
Otherwise??

I didn't see any sign of any hobbies besides a large cabin cruiser in the yard outside the shop. They say boats will suck up every free cent you have, but he somehow managed to have a pair of snowmobiles too.

I also didn't see any grinding capability in the shop other than a regular bench grinder. In fact, I didn't see a surface grinder either. He had a regular Bridgeport Varidrive, a huge lathe - maybe 20x120, a giant drill press - maybe 30" throat, and a few bandsaws of different sizes.

Most likely he worked at one of the big tool shops in Windsor, and given that his blocks had been ground, he probably had access to other equipment there.

The clamping face is quite flexible but not very rigid. Therefore I don’t think it is for machining. My vote is a welding fixture. Turn by hand for tack welds and then use the motor for continuous welding of the piece.

I've come from a few generations of boat owners, working boats. I don't have one. Old saying, boats are a hole in the water you throw money into! LOL. Some times the trick is to leave them in the yard.
If he worked at a bigger/specialized shop that unit could have been used for a many unit one time run. I would use it for making off set pins, etc. LOL.

Hand crank for doing setup and indexing (when using the index feature), air bearing and motor for grinding cylinrical parts.

Would not be surprised that the air bearing is not smooth, as it may have either corrosion (water in the air lines) or dried gummy oil in the works, and may need a strip and clean.

I would bet on it having been built to do cylindrical grinding, probably on a surface grinder.

Boats and airplanes, the two happiest days of the owners life, are the day they get them, and the day they get rid of them! LOL!

Oh yea. Nice chair. Surprised you gave it up long enough for the photos

Chairs are for putting stuff on. Almost as good as stools.

Once in a while I do sit on them too. It does happen that this one was for sitting on. Perfect for a photo.

I agree that horizontal surfaces make great 'temporary' storage location. In my case that's almost permanent!

I agree that horizontal surfaces make great 'temporary' storage location. In my case that's almost permanent!

Someday when the moon and the sun are in perfect alignment, you might get the chance to visit me. You will find yourself quite at home in my shop. Till you get to the house where my bride calls the shots and everything is freaky clean and tidy. I have to close my good eye when I go in there or I get hives and a very serious twitch. Prolly has something to do with the sharp objects she hits me with whenever I touch something.

The clamping face is quite flexible but not very rigid. Therefore I don’t think it is for machining. My vote is a welding fixture. Turn by hand for tack welds and then use the motor for continuous welding of the piece.

I think the photo is misleading. Actually, I think it is VERY rigid.

The front plate is prolly one inch tool steel. So is its mounting to the fixture, and so is the fixture's mounting to the base. Just guessing the assembly weighs more than my 10 inch rotary table. All the attachments are also quite firmly bolted.

My kitchen table has a clear spot for me to eat at, otherwise it is great storge space. Very inconvenient when i have guests and have to make space for them.
I haven’t used the kitchen table in probably 10 years dining table is the same.

Back