• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

What House are you?

Everett

Super User
Everything I have is Ryobi

The oldest One+ tool will use the newest One+ battery happily and they are reasonably priced. My home shop cordless tools, mechanic's cordless impacts, and even my weed whacker and gardening radio are all Ryobi.

I've had a few of the other brands over the years, and the other three brands mentioned make good tools, but got tired of having trouble finding batteries/chargers when they changed their systems.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
I used to be the yellow man when I was gainfully employed and could afford the stuff but the wife has been buying the lime green stuff for the yard work and we are very happy with everything we have tried.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I've had a few of the other brands over the years, and the other three brands mentioned make good tools, but got tired of having trouble finding batteries/chargers when they changed their systems.

That's what pushed me towards Makita. I had a nicad craftsman set (drill, driver, circ and recip saw). I only had 2 batteries and had one getting weak, so I went into sears to buy a few more, and they were different batteries. Same specs, just different styles and wouldn't interchange. So I broke down and bought a new makita drill and impact set, and haven't looked back. Added way more tools and batteries over the years with no fitment issues except one. I got a 5ah battery with my string trimmer/blower combo, and it won't fit one of my old 2nd hand impacts. Works with everything else though, and all other batteries (mostly 3ah) work with that impact.

I almost went dewalt, but a friend convinced me to go with Makita, because his company used them, and they were indestructible. I don't regret it.

My 1/4" m12 angle die grinder was my first red tool. It was a trojan horse......

Bandit

Ultra Member
I am in the house of Ryobi for the most part, seems to be a better price for the stuff. And it was a gift some long time ago, the whole set in the blue, with the lith batterys. Some years ago added another drill and driver, lately a osolating tool too. In the lime green.
The latest thing added, but is red, is a camera, m12 power. Why do they have m12, m18, and m?? so on. Anyway needed to see under some floor, along the footing and pony wall to see what I was dealing with, after a finding of buried wood in a spot that was dug out for gravel for a patio cover at the door to the shop. Worms hanging out of the wood, wood where there should have been concrete.
Anyway, the red camera worked well, added a tool to the pile, seen what I didn't want to see, but allowed me to form a plan and cut as needed. 17 bags of dry mixed later, a rented mixer, some rebar, epoxy for glueing in rebar, a bit of basic forms, and time. Now the footing, pony wall are fixed, rebuilt, tyied together.
Just need to replace a section of floor and tiles after concrete moisture abaits.

Bandit

Ultra Member
Some like the red in both m12 and m18 as some of the m12 tools are smaller for smaller/tighter spots, don't know, that's what been told.

My first was a Skil Boar gun, I ran the wheels off that thing for years, and when it finally died, I bought my first Makita, and went through three drills in fairly short order..... Then along came team red...... It started with m18 tools and after several years I let an m12 die grinder into the fold this past spring and have since added a ratchet and band file into the mix......
In the yard, Stihl has been slowly taking over.....

Tincup

I'm split between green and yellow, although I still have my Makita 12 volt drill in the tin box, and looking like new.

Are red and green not made by the same company?

slow-poke

Ultra Member
Mostly a mix of Dewalt and Makita. I had a huge Milwaukee grinder it was a beast it was a workout just using it for a few minutes.

trlvn

Ultra Member
Some like the red in both m12 and m18 as some of the m12 tools are smaller for smaller/tighter spots, don't know, that's what been told.
If you work over your head some of the time, the lighter M12 are a big plus.

Besides, it is usually not a big deal to have a spare battery.

Craig
(I think I just tipped my hand here...)

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Not a single battery-operated tool in my shop. Started selling tools at a plumbing wholesaler in 1978 so got great discounts on real stuff. I have either cheap crap thrift store stuff, or original US-made Ridgid or Milwaukee.

My very first was a Black and Decker Drill which is now about 50 years old. Most used and abused tool in my collection and still going strong. I use it for driving 3 inch wood screws on a regular basis. I have one corded Makita planer which I really love. Got it second hand for about ten bucks. When I got it the power cord was damaged and all the blades were dull and broken. Shortened the power cord and replaced blades for cheap with blades direct from China. Works like new now. Most everything else I have is corded yellow. Hate batteries!

Maker Mike

Premium Member
Makita for me, not because I'm a fan boy or anything, just can't see going and buying all new batteries. Some things work well, some not so much. I would not recommend their battery powered 36v vacuum. I have a 1/2 hammer drill that is 40 years old, been with me most of my adult life and still works fine.

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
And House Ryobi for me. Got a drill/driver combination a bunch of years ago with 2 batteries for less than the two batteries alone.

Once they got ahold of you by your batteries, they have you!

Couple of year ago a friend told me Home Depot had a smoking deal on a weed trimmer for it. $17. Normal price was something like $120. Must have been an error, but I got there before they caught it. So did he.