What do you think of this Bridgeport?

Chip Maker

Super User
I used a flat bed tow truck to move my Bridgeport. Winched it on with steel pipe rollers under it. Pulled it off with my atv winch working against the trucks winch. Worked sweet.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yes, you've got it ! Step pulley: flip the belts manually Variable: like the one in your picture, crank the handle, infinitely variable. Kind of like a snow mobile clutch, a pair of opposing cones, one fixed, one moveable, sliding on a shaft = changes dia. of the drive pulley = varies output rpm.

Sorry for the post interruption guys, cuslogs comment caught my eye. My machine is a year-ish old (like picture). At certain rpms I hear what I would call a harmonic noise, not quite a rattle, but not quite its normal nice quiet sound. In & out very consistent. Noise tends to go away at different rpms outside a certain range, but doesn't care high or low gear, fwd or rev. Bounced off a few knowlegable guys here & also sent the audio file /pics to Modern. They said it could be minor oscillation of the sheaves, maybe motor rpm hunting ever so slightly. It wasn't deemed critical so we agreed to have someone come by for a look-see 'one day'.

If you have a fork truck moving a Bridgeport is relatively easy as you can pick it up under the ram and it is then well balanced and not "top heavy", same if you sling it for cranage properly -

I have had mine into various pieces for repairs and I can tear one down pretty quickly. If you have a good floor crane you can pull the top end parts- head, ram, turret off and the table and knee off leaving the heavy base - then you have to figure out a lift for that - could be a dolly or pallet lifter or a good sized tractor with the lift clearance. Total weight is around 1988 lbs according to the book so you can lighten up the lifts if you break it apart. I am sure @Dabbler has everything weighed out.

Have to find out how much it would cost to rent a fork lift. The problem for me with the fork lift is I don't have any space at the sides of my driveway to position a fork lift at the side of the trailer. If you have no prior experience taking a mill apart as in my case the first time could take awhile. There is a video on Youtube where a couple of guys load and unload a Bridgeport with just an engine crane.
Looks to me like using the eye bolt was necessary with this method, the engine crane would not reach high enough if a sling was used. Do other mill makes also have a place to attach an eye bolt? Also using the engine crane presupposes you have a solid flat concrete surface to work on. I have a gravel driveway which poses more challenges.

Chip Maker

Super User
It was only a short trip but cost $150.00. Super easy. With the loss of manufacturing in Ontario since '08 and the number of auctions, including a ton (no pun intended) of good equipment going for scrap weight, rigors and moving companies have made a killing. I know they're just doing their job, but I avoid them whenever possible. It's and expense I can do without.

It was only a short trip but cost $150.00. Super easy. With the loss of manufacturing in Ontario since '08 and the number of auctions, including a ton (no pun intended) of good equipment going for scrap weight, rigors and moving companies have made a killing. I know they're just doing their job, but I avoid them whenever possible. It's and expense I can do without.
Thats certainly a lot more affordable than a rigger, maybe one tenth the price. Did you actually drive the truck yourself or was there was a driver/operator?