• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

What did you do for a career and would you pick it again?

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
As in don’t be a welder or don’t weld for someone else? Lol
Are you a career welder?

I'm a career welder, going on 19yrs, i wouldn't switch into it from where you are, there are many avenues withen engineering....all of it is less physically demanding, come with vacation time, sick days, and benefits....getting all 3 of those in construction is iffy at best. You will also most likely as an average engineer, make more than an average welder

If you want to fab/machine stuff and get paid for it, find a niche, and build yourself a side buisness around that

SparWeb

All careers have ups and downs (I'm currently in a down, but I've had many ups). Sounds like you've been in a down time for longer than you'd like.
I'm a mechanical engineer who got himself into aerospace, building parts to modify airplanes and helicopters. That's when my career really got interesting.
Does engineering still interest you overall?
Or is it more like, when you look around at this and other career prospects in engineering, you think "no way"?

When you're young, that's the time to try different things, seeking the right fit. When you're older you get a kids and a house and then changing directions is much harder.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
If you want to be overwhelmed, check out:

Stats Can publishes an 1100 page list of every job that gets identified by CRA and S/C. There are thousands of jobs you’ve never heard of, and dozens of them could be your dream job.

Xyphota

Ultra Member
As long as you are learning something, the positions have been gratifying.
I can agree to that! The rate at which I'm learning things in my current job has slowed quite a bit.

Does engineering still interest you overall?

I'm definitely still interested! I'm working at a start-up and I was brought on to help get a mechanical testing suite setup. Now that we have things mostly setup I mostly am just loading and unloading test samples into our testing machines. It is fairly monotonous, and no longer what I would consider to be engineering, even though I'm fortunate to still be getting paid as one. I would prefer to be doing something much more technical and solving problems. The market for mechanical engineers is very competitive though, so that's why I'm researching other career paths. I know that my position had over 300 applicants so I feel a bit guilty about complaining while I am so spoiled.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I've been an automotive mechanic most of my life. Bought my first car at 12, got into muscle cars/trucks, and 4x4's. Worked at a shop in high school. Spent a few years after high school working at a construction company as an asphalt plant operator/welder/millright type job. Since it was seasonal work, I transitioned into heavy trucks for about 5 years. I started at a small company fixing trucks/trailers and drove log truck when there wern't trucks to fix(best job ever). Then, I worked in a lumber mill for a number of years as a lumber grader, got a back injury, went back to school to take electronics engineering. It was interesting, but my back hated sitting in class all day. Went back to work as an automotive tech 16 years ago. Eventually I built a 36x50 shop at my house, while working at a car dealership. I was doing side work for a few different companies, the dealership that I worked for included, so I started my own auto repair business so I could bill them and get paid. When covid hit, I was in a good position with a shop at home and lots of work to do. After some issues with a new boss, I quit to work for myself.

Now I work when i want. I do a mix of auto repair, fleet maintenance, and excavation/bobcat type work. Always busy but much happier now! I don't think I'd do much differently if I had a do-over.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Prolly what turned my crank more than any other thing throughout my career was helping a young person find their way. I loved mentoring and even at 77, I still do.

My story is complicated. I was born a farm boy. I have always loved fixing things, taking things apart and figuring out how they worked, improving things, learning new things, and doing things that others couldn't. I am also a high school drop out who worked for a few years, then went back to night school while I worked to finish my highschool, and then went on to get an engineering degree while I worked the night shift. Along the way I also got married and took my first baby to exams with me.

They say that success is getting what you want. But happiness is wanting/liking what you get.

First, understand that success is different for every one. For some, it's the money, for others, it's the work itself, or the achievement, or the travel, or the potential, or the recognition, or doing for others, the time off, the variety, the job satisfaction, the career, the career progression, the challenge, the hours, and the list goes on and on. What turns you on? What does success look like to you? And perhaps more importantly, can you anticipate what the answers to those same questions will be 10 years from now? 20 years from now? And how about when it's over - what will you be wishing you had done back now?

Second, understand that happiness trumps whatever you think success is. But happiness is over rated in my opinion. It shouldn't be a goal. People seek happiness, and far too often they fail to find it. I think that's because happiness is not earned or given or found. It's a choice. It is within us. No matter what you think success means to you, and whether or not you achieve it, you can choose to be happy. In fact, you can be happy where others are miserable if you choose to be.

I can also tell you this. I'm old enough to have said goodbye to more good people than I still know. On their death bed not even one has ever told me that they wished they had spent more time on the job. But they ALL say they wished they had spent more time with friends and family.

You didn't mention a family. Is that in your plans? What will that family expect of you? What will they want from you? What will they need from you? What ever you think the answers are, you are probably wrong. What your family needs most of all is not your job or your pay or how much you like your job, or whether you are successful by your own definition. It is your love and your time that they need. And, it is your happiness.

You have already invested a lot of time and money in your education. Like any good investment, you won't get a return on it until it matures. If you throw the investment away before it matures, you have wasted it. Don't waste it. Build on it instead.

No harm in changing jobs though. There is no better time to do that than when you are young. The sooner you set your course, the faster you can get to where ever you want to be.

Please allow me to share a secret with you. Instead of looking for jobs at places you like, try looking for good bosses at places you like or even at places you don't hate. Also look for bosses with good bosses - that's the mark of a really good company. Good bosses are hard to find but worth their weight in gold. You will know them when you see them. I'm not talking about easy bosses or friendly bosses or bosses with deep pockets handing out raises like Halloween candy. I'm talking about bosses who care about their people, who nurture them, who take the time to know their weaknesses and strengths, who are honest yet kind, who give credit where credit is due, who understand what success means to each individual, who value diversity, who treat others with respect and dignity, who are not afraid to make decisions, who are not afraid to admit they were wrong. Frankly, I think a good boss makes all the difference in the world. But so does a bad one......

Start smiling my friend, and choose to be happy...... The rest is easy.

Last edited:

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
I am a machinist, it is pretty fun. It is also a timed event so you need to get excited about working quickly. I work with engineers and draftsman who come down to the shop and actually make stuff. It helps them learn to design better parts. It is also a good way to take a break from the computer desk.

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I am 2 years out of school employed as a mechanical engineer-in-training and I am quite bored with my job. I think I could be much happier with just a different engineering role at a different company, but I am wondering if I would be happier doing something else.

I enjoy working with my hands and obviously like metal-working in my garage, so should I consider trying to do that for a living and become a machinist or a welder?

I was that weird kid that had an electronics bench in his room growing up. I just wanted to fix stuff. I started working for a company fresh out of school. (Technician diploma, not a degree). The process control company that hired me was developing cross direction control systems for paper machines. It was a great job. Lots of engineers on site from Toronto to test, modify, install mods and changes. But I was on call all of the time and just wanted to get back to my home town. I then saw an ad for a Biomedical Technologist at a local hospital. I was not qualified according to the ad, but there was a phone number to call with any questions. (Not something you see anymore) I called, they said send a resume, come for a talk, and that was my next career for 5 years. I remember sitting at my bench one day thinking "it is all I wanted to do". Fixing cool equipment, I sat through surgeries to monitor and set equipment, and I was young and single so working with that many nurses and female professionals had benefits.....;)

But then, the department I worked in recruited some other workers and they started rocking the boat. Work (morale) was not fun anymore (despite having my dream job) and I remember saying to myself, "I am 27, not happy in my job, what is it going to be like when I am 47?". A friend was a firefighter. He liked his job, made good money and had lots of time off. I did not expect to even get an interview but it became my final career. Loved it, mostly.

After leaving the hospital, a local vet asked me to look at his clinic equipment since vets use old hospital equipment. No one locally did that sort of work. That lead to a part time small business in which I could still maintain my nerd status, but also got to run into burning buildings once in a while. Life was good.

My 2 cents is, ..... keep doing what you are doing and don't make any sudden movements for now, keep the cheque coming. Check Indeed and linkedin often and something might catch your eye. Network as much as possible. Go to some of those meetings where like minded individuals hang out. It might lead to an opening. I call it "created opportunity". Companies are not going to come looking for you unless they know of you. Firefighting was never on my list of wants until I applied. I used to feel guilty when working with guys that grew up wanting to be a firefighter. I just threw my application in but did not expect to get an interview. Back then, I think the hiring was a little bit more open. It was not good for some (nepotism) but it allowed me to have an in as my medical equipment experience was a skill set they wanted, so the hospital experience was a plus for me. It was a hard right turn in a career choice for me. A career redirection can be a good thing if you do it by choice, but you want the company, corporation or government to have a good benefits plan and be immune to economy. (if that is possible these days). What is the number for average number of careers one has? 3? 6? I had 3 so figure I am average.

I got my commercial pilot license before I retired so that I could fly in my retirement and have someone else pay for fuel....and add one more career to my headstone. But I am having so much fun not working for anyone (hobbies) that I don't think I even want to do that. I am still deciding, still padding my flying resume.

One last thing, I agree in the previous statement to be careful to take a hobby interest now and make a career from it. But there are probably as many who agree as disagree on that one. Too many variables to make a "rule". And you are young and fresh. Lots of opportunity ahead for you.

Good luck!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
What is the number for average number of careers one has? 3? 6? I had 3 so figure I am average.

Good input.

Re # of careers. It used to be 7. I doubt it's gone down since I last looked. My kids are all on track for someplace around 7.

I already had my say, but I'd like to add a few additional comments after sleeping on this!

I retired late. I wish I'd retired sooner. Retirement is easier that I thought it would be and WAAAAY more enjoyable. Plan to retire early if you can.

I would be an engineer over again in a heart beat. But I might get a degree in medicine too. The combination would have been amazing. That's what my dad had pushed but like most young people I didn't listen. Plus, he wasn't paying the bills for me. I had a family and more school at the time would have been even harder than it already was. In hindsight though, I know now that it would have been easier than I had thought back then.

As I said in my previous note, I still think you should stick with engineering to capture your investment. Don't waste it. But by all means hang around the machinists and other skilled folks and add as many hands-on skills to your personal tool box as you can. When I was hiring, I gave VERY strong preference to those with practical hands-on skills. Too many graduates have no concept of scale and couldn't use a screwdriver if their life depended on it. Build your personal skillset just like you would add new tools to your shop. Besides, all the theory in the world is usually worth crap when all hell breaks loose - that's when skill and experience matter most. NOBODY likes those empty white hats on the job site, not even the other white hats.

As a few others have pointed out, there is also a lot to be said for being your own boss. It's usually less comfortable and less secure at first, but can be much more rewarding in the long run.

Bad days are inevitable. When they do happen, remember that there are millions of people elsewhere in the world who would give everything just to have your very worst day. Choose to be happy even on the bad days.

Last but not least, the mere fact that you are asking these questions and looking for input is a very good thing. You will be ok.

BMW Rider

Super User
I went straight into an apprenticeship for auto mechanics after getting out of high school. I was fortunate to be able to work with my Dad to get that quick start in a trade. I'd been tinkering on cars and motorcycles for years already, so it was a good fit for me. I finished my apprenticeship and moved on to work in a machine shop rebuilding engines as well as doing general mechanical work. I knew all along though that auto mechanics was not what I wanted to do for the rest of my life, but I really had no idea what that would be.

Not much after turning 18, I joined the volunteer fire department in my hometown, following the footsteps of both my parents. I quickly found that to be quite rewarding and after a few years and several training courses, I decided, with the encouragement of others, to pursue it as a career. I was fortunate to get hired on with the City of Calgary FD at the age of 25. I did keep pulling wrenches as a side hustle for quite a while too. I retired from that career after thirty years and loved it still then as much as when I started. I am always grateful for the knowledge of mechanics from my time in that trade and love being able to make and repair things for myself. I use those skills and much more I've learned now in retirement to keep myself busy in my workshop.

John Conroy

Premium Member
I went straight into an apprenticeship for auto mechanics after getting out of high school. I was fortunate to be able to work with my Dad to get that quick start in a trade. I'd been tinkering on cars and motorcycles for years already, so it was a good fit for me. I finished my apprenticeship and moved on to work in a machine shop rebuilding engines as well as doing general mechanical work. I knew all along though that auto mechanics was not what I wanted to do for the rest of my life, but I really had no idea what that would be.

Not much after turning 18, I joined the volunteer fire department in my hometown, following the footsteps of both my parents. I quickly found that to be quite rewarding and after a few years and several training courses, I decided, with the encouragement of others, to pursue it as a career. I was fortunate to get hired on with the City of Calgary FD at the age of 25. I did keep pulling wrenches as a side hustle for quite a while too. I retired from that career after thirty years and loved it still then as much as when I started. I am always grateful for the knowledge of mechanics from my time in that trade and love being able to make and repair things for myself. I use those skills and much more I've learned now in retirement to keep myself busy in my workshop.

Your mechanical skills are something you will use every day in your home shop, let's hope you never have to use your firefighter skills in your home shop!

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I told my kids to find something they like to do, and do it for a living, and to do the thing they love to do as a hobby

90% of people will not find the holy grail job. Doesn’t mean you can’t try , but better to take the easier road and compromise imho

I only ever wanted to work as a software programmer, so I did that, 30 years in every possible role , eventually finishing in senior management

I “liked” it , but the stress and pace soured it for me. At the end, the only thing that motivated me was time off.

But it did fund a great life for my family, paid for my hobbies and now that I’m retired I am finding my interest in programming returning, but not for a commercial environment, just for my hobbies

Would I do IT again? Sure, if I could do it through the 80s, 90s L, 2000s again. IT these days is a commodity and a Mathematical equation that involves Amazon, Microsoft, google

The advice I’d give is to try and retire as soon as possible, embrace your friends and family, and enjoy your good health while you have it.

Tecnico

(Dave)
I can agree to that! The rate at which I'm learning things in my current job has slowed quite a bit.

I'm definitely still interested! I'm working at a start-up and I was brought on to help get a mechanical testing suite setup. Now that we have things mostly setup I mostly am just loading and unloading test samples into our testing machines. It is fairly monotonous, and no longer what I would consider to be engineering, even though I'm fortunate to still be getting paid as one. I would prefer to be doing something much more technical and solving problems. The market for mechanical engineers is very competitive though, so that's why I'm researching other career paths. I know that my position had over 300 applicants so I feel a bit guilty about complaining while I am so spoiled.

Lots of good advice being offered here, hopefully I can contribute something useful too. First off is to say good for you to be thinking about the future while you are an EIT gaining your foundation of experience. I'm not going to point you off to another line of work, because I don't know where to send you and it'd probably find you anyhow. On a practical side I'd start with occupations that don't wear out the body so when you retire you still feel young and can pursue your bucket list!

One of the things I was thinking to say was to find yourself a startup where by necessity people have to fill in and cover the voids that limited staff lead to, right now you're doing that at the sample tester but there are sure to be some interesting assignments to be found. The small startup is often a quickly changing environment where you can pivot to more interesting assignments by filling a need you might have identified. Startups can be good and bad, when you find a good one there's a big opportunity in front of you for the work and the chance to rise in the system if that's your pleasure too.

Don't "spin" sample testing as an undesirable task, call it covering the short term need but ask how you can contribute to other more critical needs the company has. Ask what they have in mind for you next. Look around and ask about other voids where your skills can be adapted and fill those needs. I'm thinking more about engineering skills rather then hands on but has @Susquatch says the hands on skills are the mark of a capable engineer/problem solver. When I was hiring I found the people with hands on aptitude usually knew how to come up with practical solutions so it's an asset combined with your engineering skills. There's always someone who can memorize 1000 page ASME standards and enjoy it but that's not me or probably not you!

By seeking ways to apply your skills (and I don't just mean book learnin') create a niche for yourself as the go to problem solver and you'll earn more responsibility and more interesting and challenging assignments.

In my career I had some assignments which made the time fly and some which bored me to sleep but they come and go. Looking back there are some things I would have done differently, mainly by taking the scary leaps at a young age instead of waiting until a bit later but mainly own your career because no-one else will look out for yourself like you can.

Hope this is useful....

D :cool:

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Good advice - Dave.
The most useful skill I have found has been ‘adaptibility’.

You need the academic knowledge and the practical application ‘sense’ to improve the products for an industry or market.

Just remember that to make your mark in the development of an industry, you are going to need support from product design, production process, quality standards and support from executive levels, who like to see an ROI.

Companies with good product development will generally have more interesting work, but these companies are more rare then abundant.

Stellrammer

I had never considered sales, as I am an introvert by nature, but I learned something after going into sales quite by accident. In sales you can potentially make as much money as a doctor or lawyer, and not have massive debt and 7 years of uni.
In Industrial sales you can get by on charm, but only for a little while, then you better know something. Also you have 2 ears and 1 mouth, they should be used in that ratio.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I would tell any young person starting out now, to learn to live off 75% of your take home, and invest the rest, but in today's high cost of living that's pretty hard to do.

This is good sound advice but as you say, it's very hard to do.

I found what I think is an easier way. Instead of learning to live off of 75%, I saved 1/2 of every raise I ever got including cost of living increases and then socked it away or invested the cumulative amount. I took the other half and used it to increase our standard of living or more often to pay the bigger bills. Over many many years, that becomes way over 50% of the original amount but is MUCH easier to do.

In my case it was enough to go to the bank when I retired and borrow the money to buy a farm. It's hard to make a living farming, but they are not making new farmland, farm land has tripled in value since I bought in, and I get to write off the interest. I'll never be cash rich, but the wife and I have a very good life and we are very happy. We can live off the farm if we ever had to and we can always sell it with a fairly big capital gain if it ever got to that point too.

Also you have 2 ears and 1 mouth, they should be used in that ratio.

More great advice!

BMW Rider

Super User
Your mechanical skills are something you will use every day in your home shop, let's hope you never have to use your firefighter skills in your home shop!
In a way I do use my firefighter experience in the shop, but in a prevention mindset. I did some health and safety work as part of my career and try very hard to keep a safe work space at home. I do also have to bandage the odd gashed finger too.

trevj

Ultra Member
I applied to join the Military, still hung over from Grad Night festivities. Same week everyone was back in school, I was getting screamed at in basic training. Yay.
Didn't know what I wanted to be when I grew up, figured it would do for the time being... Still don't know what I want to be. Went through 4 trades, if you include Trade Amalgamations, where different CF Trades were combined. Retired as a Corporal, about as low as you can get, and not get kicked out for being a burden on the system. LOL! Started in Aircraft weapons System, got switched (voluntarily, sorta, as it meant I stayed in the Forces) to being an Airframe Technician, then an Aviation Tech (mechanic, some engine work, some electronics stuff, and some Armament), and then transferred to Air Craft Structures Tech, where I was doing Aircraft sheet metalwork, composites repairs, painting, machining, and industrial sewing, among other things.
For all that, the only piece of paper with my name on it, that was worth a plugged nickel, was the St John's Basic First Aid Certificate, that expired a few months after I left.

28 and a bit years later, they punted me out the front gate, and we went our separate ways, I retired on a Medical Release from the CF, two bad knees, and a spinal fusion surgery to my credit.

In today's world, they are having a hard time recruiting, as it seems like every couple weeks, there is yet another person crapping on the Military population as being sexist, racist, misogynist, you name it, or some other reason to feel guilty about something that was done by almost none of the people who are taking the crap for it. If some clown wants to get their sound bite on the News, hacking on a bunch of folks that cannot legally speak their mind about it, or refute the claims, the Military is a pretty good whipping boy. As such, I would dare suggest that crossing that route off your list, should be high on your priorities, unless you understand what you are getting in for, and it is the only way to get what you want (flying Jet Fighters, for eg). Otherwise, skip that route.

Look at Trades that have potential to transfer upwards or sideways to desk work. Your body will not last, on average, if you are doing a physical and demanding job every day. If you find it interesting and challenging, that goes a long ways too. Or, you could end up seeing an unrelated opportunity, and jump on that.

I have a hard time not suggesting Welding as at least a short term track. Young fella I know, graduated two-three years back, paid more in Income tax, last year, than I earned in the last three. If you can do the work, and keep from sticking it up your nose, drinking it all, or wasting it buying fast depreciating toys, you can have the option of picking your University path, and having the money in hand to pay for it, if you choose. Investments toward retirement, early in life, are better than those from later. And they act as a safety, should you need it, because, life, she can throw you some curves!

Controls and Instrumentation guys always seemed in demand, about anywhere there is any industry left. They don't get paid what a pipeline welder does, but they are not hunched over a cold chunk of steel all day, either.

On the Family front, I lived in Cold Lake Alberta for a fair number of years, and in that time, I saw a couple, and heard of lots more, guys that came back from Camp to find out that their now-Ex, had sold all their 'stuff' and moved in with the guy from behind the counter at the Napa store or such, because he was at least home every night! It isn't ALL about the money, eventually, you gotta have some work life balance.

My limited view of the world, anyways. My time in the CF has adequately prepared me for moving back to the family Farm, where, unlike in the CF, we can actually come up with money for parts, for the broken and worn out stuff I have to fix here! And, we can actually GET the damn parts!

Crosche

Super User
I am 2 years out of school employed as a mechanical engineer-in-training and I am quite bored with my job. I think I could be much happier with just a different engineering role at a different company, but I am wondering if I would be happier doing something else.

I enjoy working with my hands and obviously like metal-working in my garage, so should I consider trying to do that for a living and become a machinist or a welder?

Complete your P.Eng., you are so close to finishing and you won't regret having the letters behind your name no matter what you do. In the mean time, keep your eyes open for other jobs that may interest you and keep developing your skills so that you are ready for opportunities that come your way. Lastly, listen to people and help out wherever you can. I have talked myself into some great job interviews simply by doing my very best to genuinely help a guy out only to later find out that he owned the company or was a well placed manager who decided that they liked the cut of my jib. Also, by listening to people, you can identify potential needs or business opportunities. For example, someone may be lamenting that their favorite gadget broke and they cannot get a part to fix it.....maybe you can make one....maybe you can make a thousand. My friend makes and sells metal ticket book cases for rookie transit officers in his department.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member

What is happiness?

That is what you need to ponder. My late uncle David, a Philosophy professor, would say something like its when pleasure is greater than pain.

So many say you have to do something that makes you happy. What BS I say. You have to do something that you mostly like (none of it is all good, even the brain surgeon gets bored after so many lobotomies) and the lets you meet your economic goals. It doesn't matter how much you like it, you will be miserable if you spend your life in a grubby apartment when you always wanted a nice house.

And you're picking a vocation, not a hobby. The whole point of a vocation is to get through the grocery check out line....to make money! Were it otherwise, I'd make model engines all day long and go to the replicator for a new pair of jeans or a ham sandwich. We go to work to make money, this its primary function.

Once the primary is satisfied....I agree, be happy. So.....what makes you happy? imo, or at least for me, it has to be involve striving for something as well as solid and increasing rewards, monetary being the most important. It also needs to be cerebrally engaging and have way grow. With four quite different careers and a few side trips (and I may still not be done); I've had lots of fun in each but each was pursed as a way to make money.

An engineering degree is hard to get and it would a shame to not build on that. Start by sticking it out until you get your P.Eng. Where my career choices were less than brilliant, they were because they did not build on experience I already had. Learn from my mistakes, becoming a welder devalues you having an engineer degree for example. How to do leverage and rise? Create an intersection of skills; i.e. two degrees from two different discplines or engineering plus sales/management experience etc.

Last edited: