• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

What CNC programming software do you use ?

What CNC programming software do you use ?

• Mastercam

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Powermill

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Work NC

• BobCad

• Fusion

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • Cimitron

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NX

• Gibbscam

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I write gcode manually sometimes

• Solidworks

• Total voters

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
@Alexander what does your employer use at work
We use GibbsCam, the previous shop I was at was Esprit Cam, and the job Before that was Mastercam. All are very capable. I am a fusion user at home. I have be using Fusion for 8 years now. Fusion 360 has come a long way so anything I said years ago has possibly changed.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I've have a project on the go right now I'm going to force myself to figure out Fusion CAM for. A permanent mold for a casting project. Spent the last 2 days in the shop sorting, labeling and storing hardware and material, and am now excavated and organized to the point I can actually stand in front of the CNC again, and it's time to get caught up on some stuff. Actually, I can stand in front of ALL the machines without moving anything for the first time in history.

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
I am working on a project in fusion 360 right now. I did a screen capture of the simulation. I'll post it up here just in case you wanna see what the simulation looks like. There's no audio but enjoy.
Did you use Snagit to create the video? I see it does dynamic toolpaths (spiral). What about he knife edge?
I've have a project on the go right now I'm going to force myself to figure out Fusion CAM for. A permanent mold for a casting project. Spent the last 2 days in the shop sorting, labeling and storing hardware and material, and am now excavated and organized to the point I can actually stand in front of the CNC again, and it's time to get caught up on some stuff. Actually, I can stand in front of ALL the machines without moving anything for the first time in history.
I absolutely know what it's like to continuously have to move stuff. I hope one day to resolve this problem...
And I did!

Thanks for that Alexander. I would not have guessed that Fusion could do that.

Next time, try singing during the video...... I promise not to laugh...... ;)
What kind of music do you want? Some old classics from the 60's.... (Psychedelic rock, or farm music)?

I have pulled down some evaluation copies of Powermill, and MC. Both 2022 versions. I am not sure if they will work yet. I am kind of swamped with running machine and making college paper that's due on Wednesday. Meanwhile the purchaser of the Griffith housings has called me asking when they will be done. I said 2 more weeks..........I also had a call on doing QC work for potentially 30-40 multicavity molds / year... (enough work for fulltime !!) (If I get it. will be time to hire an assistant. I am already divided into 4.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I am working on a project in fusion 360 right now. I did a screen capture of the simulation. I'll post it up here just in case you wanna see what the simulation looks like. There's no audio but enjoy.

Long simulation - what are you making? and how will you hold that stock? Nice part. Thanks for posting.
Is the round bottom part of the part or just the material you have?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
What kind of music do you want? Some old classics from the 60's.... (Psychedelic rock, or farm music)?

Prolly Classic 60s. But with that cool cutting path, a Classical Viennese Waltz would be nice too! It does look like you have made it dance.....

I wish you the best of luck with your paper, your classes, and growing your business.

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
Did you use Snagit to create the video?
On windows 11 when you press windows G you get capture options from the windows game bar.

what are you making?
This is just a bracket to mount a mirror on a classic car. The material is the round stock you and Josh Bought years ago. I will part this off on the lathe after the milling is done. Then it will get polished and chrome plated.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
On windows 11 when you press windows G you get capture options from the windows game bar.

This is just a bracket to mount a mirror on a classic car. The material is the round stock you and Josh Bought years ago. I will part this off on the lathe after the milling is done. Then it will get polished and chrome plated.
When you’ve got work holding in the mill sorted post a picture!

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
That's cool, I had no idea you could do that. Thanks.
Might be what Alex is mentioning. I'm running Win-10 & I discovered Video Editor, comes bundled with OS. I'm sure there is a lot more its capable of but I made some slideshows from assortment of pictures. Drag & drop, edit chapters, easy peasy. I was messing around in Photoshop Elements attempting to do the same thing. It was clunky & limiting by comparison.

1676844011769.png

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I tried MS video editor for a couple videos, but wasn't a big fan. Perhaps it was just me? Someone on another forum recommenced Davinci resolve, and while I downloaded it, watched a couple tutorials on it, and think it will be much better for me, though I haven't used it for anything yet aside from a bit of playing around.

The W G screen capture thing will be handy to capture some CAD modeling, and programming stuff etc. I'd like to put together some tutorial videos for work that guys can reference whenever they want.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Snagit has simple video capture capabilities too. I use the regular capture/editing tool tools daily. Video editing apps I am a noob. I have Adobe Premiere Elements which came bundled with Photo Elements. Kind of lightweight look & feel of the big brother & sister apps. I suspect PE will do everything I need but I require more learning & practice time.

Maker Mike

Premium Member
I use fusion 360. Haven't tried anything else as one platform is more than enough. The design part has taken a bit of learning to be able to draw anything, but at least a mistake isn't expensive. The Manufacturing CAM part can be expensive when you enter the wrong information and then break your nice new bit.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I use fusion 360. Haven't tried anything else as one platform is more than enough. The design part has taken a bit of learning to be able to draw anything, but at least a mistake isn't expensive. The Manufacturing CAM part can be expensive when you enter the wrong information and then break your nice new bit.
Oh yes done that many times. I’ve gotten better though and don’t break them as near as much now. :D Start with basic HSS so when you ruin it on the first try it’s not like breaking a $80 USA made carbide EM. And have a bunch of spares so when you break it friday night the weekend isn’t ruined.