• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

What are you using for spindle lighting?

thriller007

Lots of good lighting ideas. I ended up going with an Angel eye led light and 3D printed a housing for it. Magnetically mounted. Seems to work pretty good.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 16

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
That looks great. I've seen them made & sold by others. For sure its the most direct, localized light source orientation. I even bought an offshore strip LED kit & made some drawings for a fixture, its been sitting there since my old mill was around. One thing that gave me pause is I mount my indicator clamp on the same area. Not that I use it a ton but when I need it I need it. So it was enough to make me pause. I'm hoping my ceiling LED retrofit will come to the rescue (one day!). The lighting company I dealt with said no issues stringing more fixtures together so that's what I'l counting on (one day!).

Last edited:

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Wow, already in ring form. I wasn't even aware they made those.
I bought a linear strip (years ago). You can snip the strip every so often minimum number of LEDs & so hook up in different kinds of arrays. I've seen people make their own light fixture box panels like this. But much more work that what you did there with the ring. Good execution.

thriller007

Did you just get a 12V wall wart for power?
yes I did. And started by measuring how much room I had and what size the light was to design around. As it worked out it was a bit tight. If I was to do it again I would increase the OD by about a 1/2 mm. It went in tight enough that no glue was needed. Also if I was to do it again I would print in a darker color so it did not look like a halo from the outside. Now I need to make one for my drill press.

Attachments

• 75584020-EAAA-4538-B2E7-22F819CB8031.jpeg
    75584020-EAAA-4538-B2E7-22F819CB8031.jpeg
    146.3 KB · Views: 7
  • DA5F7CED-1A48-4D2B-9B27-BC1F48A493CE.jpeg
    DA5F7CED-1A48-4D2B-9B27-BC1F48A493CE.jpeg
    140.2 KB · Views: 7

thriller007

That looks great. I've seen them made & sold by others. For sure its the most direct, localized light source orientation. I even bought an offshore strip LED kit & made some drawings for a fixture, its been sitting there since my old mill was around. One thing that gave me pause is I mount my indicator clamp on the same area. Not that I use it a ton but when I need it I need it. So it was enough to make me pause. I'm hoping my ceiling LED retrofit will come to the rescue (one day!). The lighting company I dealt with said no issues stringing more fixtures together so that's what I'l counting on (one day!).
This one is just magnetic mounted so you can just pull it off if you need to do so.

Chip Maker

Super User
My Bridgeport is still sporting (with the exception of led bulbs) the original circa 1974 art deco lighting.

Attachments

• IMG_8016.jpeg
    IMG_8016.jpeg
    119.7 KB · Views: 5