• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

what are these?

garageguy

Super User
Premium Member
I was cleaning out an old blacksmith shop the other day and found what I think are filler rod for some kind of welding. They are square rod,2ft long, some are 5/16 sq. and some look like 1/4" sq. They have MOLY cast into one end, and appear to have been made by pouring the metal into a mold, as you can see the divide line where the 2 parts of the mold meet. One of the rods looks like the end was melted at one time. Can anyone fill me in on what they are and how they were used?

Attachments

• IMG_1073.JPG
    IMG_1073.JPG
    305.3 KB · Views: 19

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Is it perhaps Molybdenum stock?

Comes in blocks, bars, and round. Even the new stuff looks a lot like that.

Last edited:

garageguy

Super User
Premium Member
Here's the other pic I was trying to load earlier. I am curious to find out how it was used as well. It was packaged in a tube something like brazing rod is.

Attachments

• IMG_1072.JPG
    IMG_1072.JPG
    768.6 KB · Views: 11

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
I agree with @Susquatch , for smelting/casting alloy steel

molybdenum is a pretty low % alloying element, you wouldn't need huge amounts to get to the desired %, it would make sense it's a small rod

iirc moly adds strength mostly ? Think chromemoly tube

Last edited: