• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

What are these?

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
i have some hex shaft - 2 inch, came with the lathe- on;y 3 inches of it in lenght

That will work if you have a 2" wrench.

The chucks aren't usually hard to remove unless you have managed to stall the machine. When I stuck my 4J I had neglected to check jaw clearance with the saddle and hit the go switch. The machine immediately stalled and torqued her on real good.

Last edited:

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Well...there is another way to lock up your spindle ...but I would only use it in an emergency where everything else failed. Open up your gear box and find the two heaviest toothed gears in there that mesh together and just place a small 1/4 inch dia. piece of mild steel rod between two of the gear teeth, rotate by hand until they jam (no rolling shocking to the teeth). Now use a steady even pull on your tooling in the chuck.

If this and all else fails...there is always the "turn the chuck body down untill the threads release"....I would try the gear lock before this tho.

ken holliday

novice - just learning
That will work if you have a 2" wrench.

The chucks aren't usually hard to remove unless you have managed to stall the machine. When I stuck my 4J I had neglected to check jaw clearance with the saddle and hit the go switch. The machine immediately stalled and torqued her on real good.
i did stall it a couple of time
Well...there is another way to lock up your spindle ...but I would only use it in an emergency where everything else failed. Open up your gear box and find the two heaviest toothed gears in there that mesh together and just place a small 1/4 inch dia. piece of mild steel rod between two of the gear teeth, rotate by hand until they jam (no rolling shocking to the teeth). Now use a steady even pull on your tooling in the chuck.

If this and all else fails...there is always the "turn the chuck body down untill the threads release"....I would try the gear lock before this tho.

It will be a few days before i am able to attempt anything- i will let you know how i get along with it. I will try and get my welder, mill wright nephew to come and help me- he has been doing a lot of ice fishing but that is done for this year

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
i did stall it a couple of time
It will be a few days before i am able to attempt anything- i will let you know how i get along with it. I will try and get my welder, mill wright nephew to come and help me- he has been doing a lot of ice fishing but that is done for this year

NO MORE PIPE WRENCHS Please!