• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

What are these?

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
PARTS.JPG

Came with my 9" Utilathe. Haven't a clue what they might be. Could be totally unrelated to the lathe from what I know.

Last edited:

Hruul

Lee - metalworking novice
I have a 9" unilathe. I have not had it fully apart, but i do not recognize those parts from anything on mine.

Brent H

Ultra Member
Left part is not part of your lathe - looks broken in the end.

middle piece looks like a unit you could use to spin something. Like- chuck the straight shaft and engage the vee part

third item looks like a threaded bolt for a clamp/ other tool.

i have torn apart you donor lathe and found nothing resembling those items

Hruul - YYC has parts for the 9” Utilathe. If you need something let us know

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Hey Brent,

You're correct, the thing on the left has an narrower piece broken off the bottom end. I hadn't noticed that before.

The thing in the middle, I have seen before. Just can't think of what it pertains to. Woodworking perhaps?

You shipboard now or still enroute?

Hruul

Lee - metalworking novice
Left part is not part of your lathe - looks broken in the end.

middle piece looks like a unit you could use to spin something. Like- chuck the straight shaft and engage the vee part

third item looks like a threaded bolt for a clamp/ other tool.

i have torn apart you donor lathe and found nothing resembling those items

Hruul - YYC has parts for the 9” Utilathe. If you need something let us know

Thanks Brent. I don't think I need anything for it at this point. I am a little worried about the gear on the threading dial. It is worn in one spot. Looks like it was maybe installed a little tight to the lead screw and the lead screw wore away at it. I have not tried it to see if works properly yet. But I am pretty sure YYC needed that part for his lathe. The only other problem with mine is cosmetic from its high school days when the top slide was ran into the chuck.

ken holliday

novice - just learning
looking for parts for my 9 inch unilathe.
I have a 3 jaw self centering chuck with just one set of jaws, they are to press in on a shaft up to 2-3 inch and the teeth are curved so they are not reversible. I fellow was neighbopur was using my lathe and sid i should have a set that are for grbbing a much larger shaft, he was trying to hold a 6 inch diam plate to machine a 1 inch shaft on it - do anyone know what i am missing? have a set for sale?

i also have a 4 jaw chuck - but cant get the 3 jaw chuck loose- anyine want to come and give me a hand?

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
looking for parts for my 9 inch unilathe.
I have a 3 jaw self centering chuck with just one set of jaws, they are to press in on a shaft up to 2-3 inch and the teeth are curved so they are not reversible. I fellow was neighbopur was using my lathe and sid i should have a set that are for grbbing a much larger shaft, he was trying to hold a 6 inch diam plate to machine a 1 inch shaft on it - do anyone know what i am missing? have a set for sale?

i also have a 4 jaw chuck - but cant get the 3 jaw chuck loose- anyine want to come and give me a hand?

Unfortunately you're hooped for finding a set of outside jaws that will work in your 3J. The jaws and scroll are ground to match at the factory and serialized as such. Even jaws from the exact same chuck (model and year) aren't likely to work.

I spun my 4J on rather tight recently......

STUCK.JPG

Had to resort to this in order to break her loose.

Last edited:

ken holliday

novice - just learning
not the news i was looking for - but suspect you are right. thanks

how do you hold the shaft from turning? a real good smack on the wrench does not break it loose
i had it off years ago, I had to put a rod in the shaft, because the pipe wrench i was using to hold the shaft and the 36 inch pipe wrench on the chuck was crushing the shaft !! I may need to do that again but how to prevent it from sticking in the future??

Last edited:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
not the news i was looking for - but suspect you are right. thanks

how do you hold the shaft from turning? a real good smack on the wrench does not break it loose
i had it off years ago, I had to put a rod in the shaft, because the pipe wrench i was using to hold the shaft and the 36 inch pipe wrench on the chuck was crushing the shaft !! I may need to do that again but how to prevent it from sticking in the future??

You used a pipe wrench on the spindle shaft and crushed it????

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
+1 to back gear engagement. I have used a piece of 2x4 in the chuck to gain leverage and resist metal on metal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
As for prevention, clean threads, lubrication and discipline to remove the chuck when you are done.

I only thread mine until it touches off (never free spin ) and the rotational force does the rest

Mine chuck/threads are larger though (2-1/8” spindle and 10”/12” chucks

ken holliday

novice - just learning
yes, rather should have said , it was deforming, and to keep it round, (it is hollow where it is protruding on the back side, exposed when i open the access door to change belts for speedadjustment) i put a solid round inside the hollow shaft , the solid OD was equal to the ID of the shaft

ken holliday

novice - just learning
On my Clausing we engage the back gear when removing the chuck.
i dint have a back gear
As for prevention, clean threads, lubrication and discipline to remove the chuck when you are done.

I only thread mine until it touches off (never free spin ) and the rotational force does the rest

Mine chuck/threads are larger though (2-1/8” spindle and 10”/12” chucks

will do

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
yes, rather should have said , it was deforming, and to keep it round, (it is hollow where it is protruding on the back side, exposed when i open the access door to change belts for speedadjustment) i put a solid round inside the hollow shaft , the solid OD was equal to the ID of the shaft

You used a pipe wrench or a strap wrench? A pipe wrench would have scarred the spindle horribly. As for holding the spindle still while turning the chuck off about all you can do is put the machine in low range and hold the spindle pulley with one hand. There is no means provided to lock the spindle.

ken holliday

novice - just learning
pipe wrench- yep!! on the outside of the chuck ( it is one hugh pipe wrench) and another on the spindle /shaft where it is exposed on out side of the driven side - not smart i guess, but necessary at the time

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Get one of these long hex coupling nuts....

NUT.JPG

Then you something on the chuck side to grab with a wrench.