• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

What a beautiful Saturday to not be inside

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
but I forgot my video cam attachment and couldn't get my cell phone to line up with the optics.. what a pain.

I use my phone on a scope sometimes too. I find it works best if I center what I want on the scope and then move the phone to the eyepiece while watching the phone screen. That allows me to get on center fast.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
This should be at the very top of your priority list when choosing a place to retire to.

I did ok. Although I have a pond, the minnows look after the skeeto larva. Ya, we have skeeto, but not horrible.
There is a seasonal stream that passes thru the farm behind us... Can't do much about it. If I lived here I'd set traps around the property.

Tecnico

(Dave)
I haven’t heard of anything around Kennetcook but you don’t know where something it going to pop up, all it takes is someone doing something stupid. It’s people, there’s no lightning.

There’s a good twitter thread here following the firefighting news.

D :cool:

Upnorth

My property is loaded with deer and that attracts coyotes. I see deer daily and coyotes a couple of times a year. I hear them a few times a week in the summer but they mostly stay out of the fields. Whenever I see a coyote or hear them close by I chase them away. A pack of coyotes killed a woman in the other end of my province about 14 years go. The ones in my end of the province are quite skittish around humans.

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Coyotes killed a calf at my nephews place just the other day, damn unusual for them doing that this time of year. Time for a little payback.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Tonight's view.. looking towards Toronto where they had thunderstorms

IMG_20230602_194556090.jpg

20 minutes after taking this pic our neighbourhood deer made an appearance right in the middle of this view

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Down to the end of the block to check the mailbox, then one photo facing west, one facing east. Sunset shot is towards Galiano Island, blue sky shot is towards Westham Island in the mouth of the Fraser River.

Politics aside, and our country isn’t perfect, with pockets of hardship, but in general we live in Paradise.

IMG_3298.jpeg IMG_3295.jpeg

20230604_112359.jpg
Took a mini overnight vacation at one of the local lakes on Saturday and Sunday. Was planning on going for two nights, but the truck and camper were being disagreeable on the subject, and since the lake is less than a half hour away we just shortened the weekend a little.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
We have a family of ducks on the pond this year. The hen is VERY skittish! We have coyotes, fox, mink, weasels, racoons, eagles, and hawks here. If I try to get close, she is GONE!

I used my phone with a spotting telescope on a tripod instead. As indicated earlier, if you start a ways back, and then move toward the scope with the opening centered on the screen, it's a lot easier to get a decent shot.

20230606_103746.jpg

Compare that with 10x on the camera alone.

20230606_104840.jpg

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
We have a family of ducks on the pond this year. The hen is VERY skittish! We have coyotes, fox, mink, weasels, racoons, eagles, and hawks here. If I try to get close, she is GONE!

I used my phone with a spotting telescope on a tripod instead. As indicated earlier, if you start a ways back, and then move toward the scope with the opening centered on the screen, it's a lot easier to get a decent shot.

View attachment 35134

Compare that with 10x on the camera alone.

View attachment 35135
Lol.
Now I know why all the Sasquatch photos are blurry.
They're self portraits:D

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Look what stopped in for a drink at my pond.....

20230610_173549.jpg

The bird is a grackle not a crow. The fawn is about the size of a cat. It is alone. Mom will drop by later tonight. If it's the same doe that had twins in the yard last year, it will be alone most of its young life even when winter comes. She only dropped by to nurse and then gone. Most does only leave them alone till they can run and then take them with them wherever they go. Last year, the fawns played by themselves in my yard all day long. It was fun to watch them grow. It was also nice to have them show up almost on cue whenever we had company.