• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Western development museum

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Glad to see you enjoyed it, the pictures jogged my memory I had forgotten about the Torino wagon:).
Thanks for posting the pics.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Wow. Thanks for the pics. Great of you to post. I now have a reason to go on a road trip.

Everytime I see a pic of a plow I think of Episode 1, The Trigger Effect, in the 1970s TV Series, "Connections," by historian James Burke. He outlines the starting point of modern technology back to the modern plow. It's such a simple invention that meant so much. Just looking at that Simplex Sulky pic of yours brings back memories of an abandoned rusty one similar to this on my dad's property in Lacombe.

Again, great pics. Thanks for posting.

Last edited:

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Wow. Thanks for the pics. Great of you to post. I now have a reason to go on a road trip.

Everytime I see a pic of a plow I think of Episode 1, The Trigger Effect, in the 1970s TV Series, "Connections," by historian James Burke. He outlines the starting point of modern technology back to the modern plow. It's such a simple invention meant so much. Just looking at that Simplex Sulky pic of yours brings back memories of an abandoned rusty one similar to this on my dad's property in Lacombe.

Again, great pics. Thanks for posting.
A word of caution if you do end up going, to the Saskatoon location. They must put away the road markings (lanes, turns, yellow separation, direction etc) in the fall, then put them back out in late spring. I guess they don’t want to plow them into the snow banks? It’s interesting just driving on blank pavement, but if you follow the locals you’ll be fine

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
A word of caution if you do end up going, to the Saskatoon location. They must put away the road markings (lanes, turns, yellow separation, direction etc) in the fall, then put them back out in late spring. I guess they don’t want to plow them into the snow banks? It’s interesting just driving on blank pavement, but if you follow the locals you’ll be fine
Let me guess, you turn right at the tree, correct?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
View attachment 22212View attachment 22213View attachment 22214View attachment 22215View attachment 22216View attachment 22217View attachment 22218View attachment 22219View attachment 22220View attachment 22221View attachment 22222View attachment 22223View attachment 22224
They came up with tons of uses for the Model T, including turning it into a horse drawn buggy.

One of the first seed drills.

First rubber tires

WW2 brought hydraulics and other innovations back to farms.

Neat stuff
My parents grew up during the Depression and my mom's parents converted their car into a Bennett buggy.
Thanks for the great photos @Chicken lights

Hruul

Lee - metalworking novice
If your talking about the painted lane lines, Its the crappy environment friendly paint they use now. It wears off every winter.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
If your talking about the painted lane lines, Its the crappy environment friendly paint they use now. It wears off every winter.
About 30 years ago the highways department tested a dozen types of marking paint by putting stripes across one of the high-traffic sections of Highway 99 running from Vancouver to Seattle. A couple of the test strips were still there five years later.

They don’t use the high-vis low-wear paints, not eco-friendly. Can’t have nasty paint contaminating the bitumen, hydrocarbons, and tire residue.

Chicken lights

Ok but seriously that’s a safety hazard, I’m all for being eco friendly but c’mon, 3 lane wide traffic on blank pavement?? I will say the locals seem non-plussed there’s no honking or rude gestures, it’s very Canadian to just accept it and drive accordingly

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Another ecofriendly thing i have a complaint about is the use of non treated sign posts Department of Holidays is using now. Signs are breaking off a lot faster now.

Chicken lights

Another ecofriendly thing i have a complaint about is the use of non treated sign posts Department of Holidays is using now. Signs are breaking off a lot faster now.
I lost count of the number of broken ones I’ve seen. I know this was a rough winter but it seems like our infrastructure wasn’t ready for it. Even now I’m seeing excavators and vac trucks all over the place trying to get ditches and drains working. It’s a mess