• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

WEN 123 Blocks - Sale

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Yup, the bolt tension force is common to both our systems, no argument there. What I'm trying to say is the barrel nut is resolving the force on a tangent line between the barrel OD & block hole ID. the barrel nut also allows a bit of free play of the smaller diameter bolt within the holes until the bolt is tightened & the stud 'straightens out'. Your top washer is acting a bit like a self-alignment devise to make the stud orient more perpendicular as its tightened, which is a good thing.

My attempt at keeping the fasteners entirely hidden, unfortunately uses 2 barrel nut equivalents. Now we have 2 wiggly's not just one where all that force is resolved to 2 teeny contact tangent lines. And the drilled hole condition is not all that great. Anyways, I wanted to see if I could mimic a Renzetti style where block assemblies can one another in a multitude of flush orientations. In real life my attempt was fiddly & basically a fail IMO. Despite having lots of clamping force.

Real or conventional 123 blocks have a proper clearance hole sized relative to the threaded hole. The clone blocks failed to understand that detail apparently because you cant pass the stud through the open hole. I think they banged them all out with a tap drill & threaded every odd one. Anyways, the tapped hole more or less confines the stud to self-stand straight so its already perpendicular to the other block. There is no (or nil) initial axial freedom of the stud. The matching close fitting clearance hole serves to limit movement in the displacement direction. Conventional blocks still use 'proud' fasteners so there is difference in that respect. Hope this helps explain.

View attachment 28812
If I had of measured and laid-out the pieces of 5/16” Rod more accurately I would have cut the pieces shorter. As it turns out, several of my colleagues saw the rod extensions and are making theirs the same way.
The rod extensions help to serve as guides in their mill table ‘T’ grooves and other guys like the way they can use them in Jig Plates as locators.
Give them a new feature and they will make use if it !!
LOL

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Any reason why someone would want more than two of them. Is there a use for four 1-2-3 blocks?

My personal opinion is that 3 is essential (think 3 legged stool), but 4 or 6 or 8 can't be a bad thing. The problem is getting them to match closely enough. Grinding them for that purpose is on my project list.

Upnorth

Any reason why someone would want more than two of them. Is there a use for four 1-2-3 blocks?
It's always good to have a few more than you think you may need. Sometimes I have 2 bolted together and then I need one for some random use in the shop. One pair of 1-2-3 blocks migrated from the metal shop to the wood shop. I don't like to move them between shops because the oil gets from the machine shop to the wood shop. Some times a pair of blocks get's used as a spacer and it's not worth taking things apart right away.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member

Buy 2 or aboveand pay only $17.99 each

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Has anyone tried to drill or end mill their 123 non-thread holes out like @RobinHood
I thought had a sacrificial carbide EM in my tools but turns out wrong size. I was also watching YouTube where a guy did something similar with a carbide? ended masonry/ceramic bit, but I cant recall if he used it as-is or redressed the edge geometry slightly (which would probably require diamond). His logic was the regular steel shaft was actually helping the process, the business end was hard but the shank still had a bit of give - not so stiff so the full carbide saw vibration & shattered the edge. That made sense but it still looked like it took some time to go though it. I guess it doesn't have to be a precision hole, basically clearance for the thread OD as they were originally intended. I did run my hardness file on across the hole ID & it seemed harder than my max 65RHC?

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Well if you see something at either, I am by the BB in Mississauga and KBC on Kennedy Road every week.
KBC has a minimum order value of $25, but between both of us that is easily exceeded.
I usually check there bi-monthly FLYER and go in to chat with Paula and Karen.