• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Well I guess I’ll be taking my lathe saddle apart now.

Well i did not think about this pin I found being hardened. Went to drill for the split pin and the bit just stopped :/

Luckily I had two carbide 3/16 end mills. Both of which sacrificed themselves to the operation, they bored through ok, but when they hit the opposite side they didn’t like that hardened layer.

Oddly they drilled a hole slightly larger then 3/16 as the pins were a hair loose.

Luckily my last auction score of a only toolmakers box had some shim stock.
Added a little strip and she’s golden.
7373124F-9645-4794-A801-CE66B50DBDE3.jpeg

Heated an bent the tooth back. Waiting to cool and I’ll file and clean it up.

It VERKS!

Got it back together!

Do to a slight miscalculation I had to do something unspeakable that made real machinists roll in their graves. But I told myself it’s ok because I’m going to replace all this lol

Once again thank you to all that contributed to the discussion, glad to know I’m not totally lost.

Now I need to find the gear and bribe Brent

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Well Done!!!!!

Did you take a pic of the gear after you straightened the tooth?

Last edited:
Thanks for the link Craig!

I did not get a pic, honestly I was rushing a bit to get done before I had to leave. I really wanted it done today.

I used a hss blank to push it straight, and a small machinist square to check for parallel. Little but lost to filing. Rolled smooth in the rack. Certainly enough to get by.

Can a regular joe order from McMaster?

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member

I think you need to create a business account with them. There are members on the forum with accounts.

They also sell racks, if yours is damaged.

Last edited:

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Regular USA Joe = yes. Regular Canadian Joe = 89.375% No. Canadian company or educational facility supposedly yes, but still sometimes no. I think it must be phase of the moon thing. Some folks have gotten in, many not & we don't want to jinx it. (Lots written on our forum, just search it). Maybe try calling them first thing in morning after a big NFL game or something when they are groggy LOL

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
make up a company name, or use one you know. Just don’t tell them it’s for non-business use. M/C Canada on half-assed enforces the business-only policy.

I think the window company we sub from occasionally get stuff from them. Msybe see if I can get a favour if I can’t get myself.

Or I do have Credit cards for my bosses construction company could order on that. He’s cool with it.

redneck_sophistication.
I'm kinda late to the discussion, but this company has been excellent for me to bring me "USA only shipping " items.

Free to set up a address, and $29 to go through customs and their fee, if I remember correctly.
I've used this a few times and they've been excellent to deal with. Hope this helps.
Ken

There are lots of US address at various birder crossings that act as locations for Canadians. This issue is size of shipment they will receive and can you cross to get it. During COVID I picked up regularly but it was business so I could, private individuals couldn't.

Second is knowing how to do your customs if its a business. Not difficult actually except that the Harmonization book is not so easy, there are tricks to get it right but but need to do your research before you venture down this route.

As to McMaster-Carr yes they deal with Canadian Businesses, actually very nicely I might add. They even charge the GST (yes they have a number), my feeling is they don't want the nickel and dime orders that cost them too much in paper work. Remember if they collect they must also pay it.

I believe you can either pick up directly at their Canadian location, or have them ship it to you, which is what I've done. And they deal with customs. Not sure if they do business accounts.
The op's parts are small, so there should be no issues.
Ken

Oddly enough I just clicked order on the webpage, used my work email/name/credit card and it went through.

I guess I’ll find out. Still need to figure on a steel for the shaft. It’s a little harder to file then mild, but not much.