• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

well half a tablet of Trazodone doesn't do the trick..

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
He gets stressed and still tries to attack the clippers when I get to his front legs, head and chest.

This is very taxing on my joints, and forced me to try to groom his front end with only scissors. My scissoring skills are not that refined. As a result I'm thinking of just grooming him to look like a male lion to prevent my own stress from getting too elevated.

IMG_20230401_160004110.jpg

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
How soon before the clipping do you give the traz.
an hour and a half.

The vet said 1/2 to 1 whole tablet. Next time I'll try a whole one.

He was a little better than normal... but not enough to allow me to safely clip his front legs. I think I'm going to do some desensitization work with him running the clippers beside him while only petting him and rubbing his legs. Go thru a schedule where I increase the frequency and time until I can just start clipping him for brief periods.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
We give Anja a half tablet twice a day. She can't handle being alone anymore. If she's already wound up the drug is useless.
She gets it around 11 in the morning and again around 10:30 in the evening.
We did first try 4pm or about 2.5 hours before we left to teach classes.
Often it didn't work.
You might try 4 hours before you clip.

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
an hour and a half.

The vet said 1/2 to 1 whole tablet. Next time I'll try a whole one.

He was a little better than normal... but not enough to allow me to safely clip his front legs. I think I'm going to do some desensitization work with him running the clippers beside him while only petting him and rubbing his legs. Go thru a schedule where I increase the frequency and time until I can just start clipping him for brief periods.
Keep plodding along with the Cooperative care. You and your little buddy will get there.
Even if the Trazadone on an increased dosage seems to work, keep going with the training as well.
It is much easier to learn if you're not freaking out.
Lots of trainers will recommend trazadone on an ongoing basis during training.
Learning to swim while you are drowning is not an ideal situation, in spite of the old adage about being thrown off the end of the dock as aid to learning.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Keep plodding along with the Cooperative care. You and your little buddy will get there.
Even if the Trazadone on an increased dosage seems to work, keep going with the training as well.
It is much easier to learn if you're not freaking out.
Lots of trainers will recommend trazadone on an ongoing basis during training.
Learning to swim while you are drowning is not an ideal situation, in spite of the old adage about being thrown off the end of the dock as aid to learning.
i don't freak out...I try to stay calm and stop and sooth the dog... but standing long periods kills my back and shoulders. Between grooming the two I'm pretty sore by the time I'm done

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Addie takes Prozac, and Trazadone if she’s going to be in a stressful situation. Trazodone takes a couple of hours to kick in, and if the little dog brain switch has already tripped to <Attack> then the Trazadone won’t do much.

If we know she’s going to need to relax, we‘ll take her out a couple of hours early and play fetch until she’s exhausted, so she’s too tired to kvetch. Then Trazadone.

The thing we do for our pets. I’m sure we’ve spent more time, effort, and money on Addie than what our parents spent on us.

Attachments

• 9DE2B51E-2EB3-4F68-9B3F-76FEFD2FE6E1.jpeg
    9DE2B51E-2EB3-4F68-9B3F-76FEFD2FE6E1.jpeg
    509.2 KB · Views: 8

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Well I wouldn't be posting pictures of my kids here even tho I love them more... I'll keep with the theme!

A man can get awfully attached to his canine companion. This dog was with me for 15 years and much of it was 24/7 with me. I eventually gained a wife and kids and Amigo allowed them in but my gosh that dog was devoted to me and I swear he knew exactly what i wanted and seemed to understand every word I spoke to him. I've got a new dog but I still miss that old friend.
IMG_1094.JPG

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
You guys are making me miss my old job with all your dog pics.
Here is mine.
AMWts8AFi3MtdwetByIkexYZNA5atoyYauoYce3ZlSzuz7Zy9Ov9PjXPJLzsYyI1slCaLFjWH4x6IPzEkDM2NP9t-atDIIgdozzKWRtej-QucwnNQwgbgEjXBt6BKxpR5r0tQCs_SfqWiYr7ZDe2Zan6opCCR4M0_ZeRLpnMJ3-ZgK63xaXgJ4SDP1K1Cik9S-F3clRRYRr91yFZhaqY5hA6QI5IRiaWp-D3izDW3QhTyCs-h_AaTrHm_2LTkliUXvROcrmhhqcaVj5lcTDiCedBgvLkr7W96oivGhRwD-gs2LK2qVP781BA8_UtBzkswqtbtaASr0sPSyNFZ5fisvA7ev5O_J4HXLcGTdvhf4n10esIaAMUcExlnmI6z86_AoM2QXipqstZiUwaNcaLKYd7AsN5NRkb3SDJbm3Csa3cCB47KoKN8Uu4CTmwYOQJiNX1ISlr2KAMRbqHUvF8b-MxxUTvJmnqiTyKKkELo1qe5beyH3qbopZpqfjrQ64ko4vOqXRBbOmVE9v2_aozJp9SKsZoHCe_mbxb1zGh2CG4XIAcnQ5jCQMt1TQ6ASpMweZKZzGUd_VNb9KUc6EdHrPjCyqXJs9C4ihP2lblk8w3lnUmmD4daFbIjBi2xd39MS8e7pZKwUNv2IYqcJZt1CDJNAvcDVYcA1R3iSCubQIP7ngrnTuEyLzK849NUERFYWtAOvXQWWT8V4Ry_wSA3zqhtviOkIXjdPJrGfyiNkvLswyFOaECKXkYpoyKa6kadBRx9h0u7CQ_KI3SNdS2NYSBOMRCfLpBlnj8FLc_TDYB8TDD-WV5e3z5OhsDDSsXKzgIu8E1P_DJxV3ojUvplXGPCWu0LsKa2JhZvgQq0BN6JgFpu4BPfZLsfP4Nw4G6-OxgECXTRTFUTpL8oGYaI388P0dtM_NAxPlFWjzI12bFUKE8KiR--baBInQZS0fTkiWj=w508-h903-s-no