• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Welding table project

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I have overbuilt things in the past (!) but have not regretted the lost time as much as the regrets when I've had to rework a piece... I love your project; I'm sure you will put it to great use!

John Conroy

Premium Member
This project has sort of taken over my garage so I mad a major effort this weekend to get it as finished as possible. It may have to wait until next summer to be stripped down and painted. I used thirty six 7/16" X 1.75" grade 5 bolts to make the adjustment stands for the 6 table top slats. I turned the heads flat in the lathe and center drilled them. The I moved them over to the mill where I already had the super spacer centred under the spindle and drilled and tapped each one 1/4" N/C. That was BORING but I got it done. I laid out the slats one at a time and transfer punched all the holes. This would have been a major pain to set up in the mill so I just drilled all the holes by hand. I used a v-block to assure that my transfer punch was perpendicular to the table.

I also got the center crossbrace welded into the table top.

After getting all the holes drilled and 36 nuts welded to the table top I installed all the leveling bolts and spent about 2 hours getting them all adjuste4d to the same height. I used the newest 4 foot long level I have. It checks out nice and straight on my milling machine table. I used a .003" feeler blade as a guage and got them all as close to perfect as I could to + or - .003"

John Conroy

Premium Member
It turned out very well. Having the holes drilled 12 inches on center allows the total width to be adjusted to over 5 feet if needed.

I built a couple of threaded jacks so the folding legs can be jacked off the floor to be folded. Total foot print when folder is 28" X 57".

I'm going to work on a fixture to attach a bench vise that can be easily removed when not in use but it is pretty much done except for some small details and paint.

Cheers,

John

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
More welding/assembly table bling bling ideas ~ min 11:00
I figured they have been lurking here & copied Johns :)

John Conroy

Premium Member
Thanks for the link Peter. I watch Jodys videos often. I'm pretty sure the design copying was done by me, not them! :D

John Conroy

Premium Member
Every once in a while I find myself in need of a table saw. After looking on Kijiji at a bunch of overpriced worn out junk I decided on a portable contractor saw and had a 15% off coupon at Lowes. The had the larger of the Dewalt saws on sale already and with the coupon it was lower in price than any of the used ones I looked at. I had a plan to add attachments to my welding table project so it could be used as a table extension for the saw when needed. I cut off the part of my brake rotor lock device so it no longer extended above the table surface and made up some quick removable brackets to mount the saw. 2 screws hold the saw onto the platform and after the saw is removed the rest of it comes off by loosening 6 set screws. I turned out well and works like a charm. The welding table is heavy enough that even ripping a sheet of 3/4" plywood doesn't make it feel tippy.

Everett

Super User
That table looks awesome so far. Good scrounge on the square tubing, gotta love free material! Using a cross drilled brake rotor for indexing table angle is genius, too.

buckbrush

If I may, a larger radius on the corners of the plates might be an improvement. Other wise it is fantastic in my eye's.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Hi John,
Still liking your table? Any thing you would do differently now?

I notice the commercial tables have 5/8 holes and a there is large variety of pins, blocks, clamps and other accessories you can add. What do you think of those accessories?

John Conroy

Premium Member
I wouldn't bother with the folding front legs if I was doing it over and I might go for 3/4 inch plate for the top instead of 1/2 inch. The gap between the top slats makes it so convenient to clamp things I don't think I'd have any use for the 5/8 holes and accessories but I have never tried a table like that. Over all I'm still really happy with it and use it often. And not just for welding. It's very handy to just roll it out and have another horizontal flat surface for big projects and it never get permanently cluttered because it needs to be folded and stored to restore access for my wife's car. One of these days I will paint the frame.

John Conroy

Premium Member
It came in really handy for a big metal table project I did a while back. I was able to clamp all the parts in place and tac weld as well as turn the table to different angle to get easy access to all the tight spots for easy finish welds. 20190704_114720.jpg 20190704_115048.jpg 20190704_120804.jpg 20190704_120813.jpg 20190704_132936.jpg

Last edited:

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I don't belong here.....:(

The planning, utilization of available materials, adaption of the rotor, workmanship is amazing!! Very nice John!

I think I will go see if Red Green has a machining forum....:rolleyes:

Hruul

Lee - metalworking novice
I don't belong here.....:(

The planning, utilization of available materials, adaption of the rotor, workmanship is amazing!! Very nice John!

I think I will go see if Red Green has a machining forum....:rolleyes:

I hear you ShawnR. A lot of the stuff on this forum is way beyond my ability. Only hope that it gets me motivated to do more and maybe get better.

John Conroy

Premium Member
Thanks guys, I learned the required skills from many mentors during more than 40 years as a tradesperson. It is nice to be able to still use those skills in the fun projects that I now have the time to take on.