• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Welding cart build

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
A while back I bought a warehouse cart to repurpose into a welding cart for my MIG and TIG machines.
ca17d62ef31747a11124834b14ddb449.jpg

I cut it into pieces so it was easier to store till I got at it.
1e01d8bf3b0d74f2b5a6b58bb1956ad8.jpg

Tonight I started by cutting the shelves apart so I could preserve the rounded corners. I then welded the narrowed parts back together.
Went pretty well.

1abc93d0b3883429a03b2d194594e742.jpg

6103e68d1c18970db355977f975d4188.jpg

674efaec1d8db599cf5693877bc83d00.jpg

Last edited:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Put the shelves on the upright tonight.
Also made the base.
TIG on the top shelf for easy access to controls, MIG on the bottom.
b06a72a523f0abe5e26417b3fb9763c7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Major progress on the cart tonight.

Put the uprights and shelves on the base.
7fb1ceaffcda5eb43050c7bc333f4d6a.jpg

Cut up the remaining parts of the original cart to make the supports and upper side guards/handles.

Just need some racing slicks!

This is the most involved project I’ve designed and welded. Very happy with how it’s turning out.
3d8b18c34f05a532f5f74fcef6bbbdd1.jpg

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Great job reclaiming the materials for your own purpose.
What is the square section tubing wall thickness btw?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Great job reclaiming the materials for your own purpose.
What is the square section tubing wall thickness btw?

Thanks Peter! I like finding a good deal on something that I can repurpose :)
It’s 1” x 1/16 wall.
The original warehouse cart was rated for 750 lbs. I will have about 200-225 lbs on it with both welders and two 110 cu ft tanks.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
@David_R8 : great job! Looking forward to seeing the finished product!!

Thanks Brent!
I’m noodling some ideas for rod holders and cable hangers.
And there will be a couple of drawers. One under the top shelf and one on the base. Need somewhere to hold consumables and things like grinding wheels.

Brent H

Ultra Member
@David_R8 : for cable hangers I use garden hose hangers, mine are on the wall but could be cart mounted. Princess Auto typically has the twist and seal rod cases - they work well. I also have a spool case for the smaller spools of wire (little red case from Princess) for TIG wire I have it in the original tube but a couple lengths of PVC or ABS would work great. For consumables I use a couple fishing tackle flat cases (Cabela’s) They go into the drawers and keep all the TIG and mig stuff organized.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
looks great David!
Thanks Lee, I'm very happy with it so far.
This was my initial sketch.
cart.jpg

I later tried my hand at SketchUp. I didn't know how to make rounded parts at that point. But this gives you a good idea of what I'm aiming at.
sketchup cart.png

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
A bit more progress tonight.
Dismantled more of the donor cart to get a length of 1x3 for a cross member under the tanks.
Used some of the sheet metal to make a shelf for the tanks.
8b258afbc8bca80e73fe4813f2f1887f.jpg

Cut up some of the wire grate to back a back for the top shelf.
Thing looks like a chair...maybe it’s too tall...
7f69a2a96e5fb14ae7c4689923d56e84.jpg

francist

Super User
Thing looks like a chair...maybe it’s too tall...
You could always suspend a small upside down salad bowl above the “backrest” and hook your welding leads up to it. Bet your neighbours would really start to wake up....:oops:

Seriously, it probably looks like a chair to you because there’s nothing in it yet. If your design intent is still solid — and I think you put some time into what you were after — you should be good. I’d give it a chance before making the call. Maybe the back becomes a helmet rack?

-frank

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
You could always suspend a small upside down salad bowl above the “backrest” and hook your welding leads up to it. Bet your neighbours would really start to wake up....:oops:

Seriously, it probably looks like a chair to you because there’s nothing in it yet. If your design intent is still solid — and I think you put some time into what you were after — you should be good. I’d give it a chance before making the call. Maybe the back becomes a helmet rack?

-frank

You read my mind Frank. As I was cleaning up last night I thought about where I was going to hang things.
Seems like the wire grate is a good space for some hooks etc.
Thinking more about it I may put some on the sides for clamps.
Need to noodle that a bit more.

Edit: I think you're right @francist I'll hoist the TIG onto the shelf and see how it looks.

Last edited:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
You will need a hanger for your helmet(s), coats/jackets, cables, chipping hammer, clamps etc
Ahh jacket.. yes, right now I hand it on the back of the shop door. Seems more sensible to put it with the thing it's used with!

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Just about wrapped up the cart build today.
Was given some awesome tank straps by a member on Welding Web.
Fitted those up.
bb7beade9dc1782c74ed29b672c02230.jpg

Loaded it up with the machines.
Still need to make cable hangers, the drawer and rod holders. But it’s largely complete.
6eafafb44ad1a0f913eaf07b9558ba00.jpg

9965ebc6f4d64055346d51c1ed4aaf54.jpg

ae9f7c1e4b0928c8208d0076139ae64f.jpg

a81f67b307f34e0259c4eca95c58b71b.jpg

5c47ea1113fb03e6c0540c2e3d6256fd.jpg