• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Welding a driveshaft yoke.

Stellrammer

Yea I wouldn't worry, I was more refering to the comment about the driveshaft loop

Looks pretty clean, at least until that first mudhole :D what tires are going on this thing in the end ?
I certainly had a driveshaft loop on my GT6 when racing it.
Since the Bronco body and fenders already had been cut and flares installed I’m going with a manageable sized 31.5” X 10.5” on 15” rims.
I doubt the truck will be off-road anytime to soon, as soon as I’ve broken in and debugged everything for about 500 miles it’s going on the market. I have a 69 I’m building for personal use.

Ironman

Ultra Member
I modified quite a few driveshafts in my time, and I was told (can't remember who) that manufacturers spec was .025 runout. I know every shaft I had in the lathe had some runout before I started on it..

Ironman

Ultra Member
I have made a few driveshafts in my time and was always in a sweat about accuracy. I was told by a speed shop guy that factory spec is 25 thou runout allowed. So the next shaft that came in to be shortened, I checked it before I cut...yeah he was right.

slow-poke

Ultra Member
it came out fine, I did tack it, had a pro weld it, checked runout, no movement. After everything gets shaken down with the drivetrain running while on blocks, both front and rear drive shafts are going out for balancing.
1976 BroncoView attachment 33295View attachment 33296
What engine is that, guessing 302 or 351?
The factory front yokes can be a bit of a weak link when making good power, the spline portion tends to candy cane at > 500HP. Should be fine with your setup, but if you ever upgrade.

Last edited: