• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Welder/ Fab/ CAD Designer

Kris Jensen

Hi my name is Kris, I just Found this place and I hope it takes off. I am a Journeyman Welder with 5 years experience, Tig stainless is my specialty. I have 8 years of AutoCAD experience on and off. I enjoy camping and fly fishing, and my current project is a 5x4 CNC Plasma Cutter.

Cheers

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Hey Kris,

Welcome to the forum. @Janger is working on a plasma CNC too. @kylemp has built a pretty impressive one himself too. Wealth of knowledge here for you.

Looking forward to seeing project pics!

JW

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Wow. What motor control board and
approach are you using? What is the fourth motor controler for?

Hi Chris welcome,, I'm a lifer machinist retired to a small garage hobby shop. If you have your own tig, I may be able to send some work your way. Cool stuff you're building. I'm starting to play with some metal spinning.

Kris Jensen

Wow. What motor control board and
approach are you using? What is the fourth motor controler for?

Hey Janger,
It's a cheaper Chinese import breakout board and drivers I Don't remember the brand but the kit came from steppermotors online. The 4th driver/motor is going to be slaved with the Y axis to help move the gantry.

Hey Kris, I know a guy who has been looking for some stainless welding. He recently had to pay 60 bucks to get 2, 1' stainless shafts welded into some conveyor rollers. A 15 minute job. If you can beat that price, I can get you some business, are you interested?

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
That's coming together! Water bath? Or just rails? A good day in the shop. Nice.

Kris Jensen

That's coming together! Water bath? Or just rails? A good day in the shop. Nice.
I think I'm going to stick with just the rails for right now. I do like the idea of having a reserve tank under the water table that has a bladder in it so I can adjust the water level pneumaticly, but will be for another time.

Tom O

Ultra Member
I'm just starting to play with the tig welder my son comes over and gives me a hand on a welding cart I'm building we have a couple of good welds as well as some that looks far from good but we are improving. (grinding less tips) dam dipping! lol
I take it you will use a machine torch instead of a regular torch, the regular one will be able to cut thicker material I think the machine is around 3/8".

Last edited:

Kris Jensen

I'm just starting to play with the tig welder my son comes over and gives me a hand on a welding cart I'm building we have a couple of good welds as well as some that looks far from good but we are improving. (grinding less tips) dam dipping! lol
It's an art that's for sure, remember to get comfortable and try to always position your body, hands, feet, or any other limbs you can find, so you have a nice three point contact as close to the weld as possible.

Kris Jensen

This site was brought to my attention by another guy at madmodder it has a nice tutorial on amperage on different welds.
http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/
I like it, it keeps everything simple, just wait till you start messing around with aluminum and you start playing with a/c frequency and balances. I used to work with the miller dynasty 350, by far the best TIG machine in the planet if money is not a problem lol.

Tom O

Ultra Member
I only got it because I sold my HD 2008 Aniversary special otherwise I'd be looking at inverters I will keep a lookout for the pulse option thats the only option it is missing although it can still be done by the pedal. I have tryed a piece of scrap aluminum3/8 thick that went not bad and have bought some 1/8 to run beads / types of joints.