• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Water jet in calgary?

Hey guys, I'm looking to have some 1/8" steel plate cut with a water jet. I'm just curious if anybody knows an approximate cost that's associated with it? Any recommendations for places in or near calgary! Thanks!

Max

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
it depends on the path-inches to determine machine time. I just had quite a bit of cutting done by Aerotech and the total was about $170. Minimum cut would be $75.00 I did 60" and 36 - 3/4" holes in 3/8" plate. I hope this helps!

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I just had some 'experimental' work done at Clearcut. They were very accommodating. Cost me a $100 bill but that was a function of unconventional material & futzing factor. I supplied DXF file & material for this. I was fondling their aluminum & steel display parts & my mind was spinning about all the things I would now like to make now that I've seen the cut quality. I learned they also have a plasma so if the cut/kerf is less crucial, apparently that's a bit less expensive than water jet. I'm not sure if I got a sympathy deal as I was in no rush. LaserEquation has waterjet too but last time I recall a setup fee & program fee... never pursued it for full comparison but it was sounding like more $.

Attachments

• 12-17-2016 0002.jpg
    12-17-2016 0002.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 8
Is the .dxf file a cad file? I m drafting up some scale locomotive frames and want them cut. Do you recall what size holes they can cut?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'm no expert & maybe it varies by machine & stock & thickness, but the kerf on mine was ~0.035". You would probably best to discuss minimum hole sizing in particular because of the way they pierce, go around perimeter & exit. Some of the examples I saw in 1/4-1/2" thick aluminum were very circular & clean looking, no noticeable undercuts or burr fragments. Maybe not perfect drill size tolerance but I'd be inclined to have undersize holes spotted leaving clean up drill to finish dimension. The person I dealt with was Sean Robertson at Clear Cut Metal Works & he was super helpful.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
@Jwest7788 You probably know by now that the abrasive is destroyed in the process, and is not recyclable. It is not super expensive, but it's cost can be caluclated by the square inches of cut, material, etc.