WATER COOLED TIG TORCH

KeeponDragon

Super User
My Pro Point 180 came with what I assume is an industry standard WP17 air cooled torch.
Just curious how a guy can spec out a water cooled replacement.
Locally, I've found the Linde shop not that useful. It seems all they have time for is wholesale customers.
The young guy at my KMS store looked at me like he'd just finished huffing a glue bottle on coffee break.
Search online and the results are for 18 and 20 series torches.
So maybe I'm missing something, like they're actually interchangeable.
any input is appreciated
:)

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
A wp20 would work for you no problem, it uses the smaller consumables, the torches are indeed universal, you just need to assemble the right collection of connectors

You will of course need to put together some sort of chiller, some hobby guys get away with a 5g pail and a pond pump

Add an aftermarket cooler, and get a CK Worldwide torch (water cooled of course).

I didn't buy a ProPoint because its support is virtually no existant.

I went Primeweld Tig225 as it is water cool prepped. Primary limit at upper end is both the unit and torch. However short bursts at higher limits can be done with the Torch (CK17) and well within the duty cycle of the machine. Truthfully I have yet to need to exceed going past the 100% duty cycle TIG welding limit for the machine or of the Torch.

CK Worldwide has a very good selection chart of what components you need for water cooling. Here is one complete setup with prices (US$).

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
CK Worldwide has a very good selection chart of what components you need for water cooling. Here is one complete setup with prices (US$).

I’ve been wondering about the benefit of water cooling.

At the link above, they say “The CK Water-Cooled TIG Welding Torch for TIG225X delivers longer welding periods under high current settings. This means you can get work done quicker while reducing the strain on your welding machine.”

I thought the water cooling was so the torch doesn’t get too hot to hold, why would they say “while reducing the strain on your welding machine.”

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I thought the water cooling was so the torch doesn’t get too hot to hold, why would they say “while reducing the strain on your welding machine.”
Feels like marketing hype to me as the machine doesn't know what torch is on the end of the cable.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
why would they say “while reducing the strain on your welding machine.”

Bs sales pitch

The wp20 with the smaller consumables and more flexible hoses (than a 17) is much nicer to use for sure, and yes the torch stays cooler, great for long high amperage welding adventures

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
Bs sales pitch
I think you’re right…

Thanks for the response, good to know that the wp20 is nicer to use.

I so badly want to get myself a TIG welder, I need to dream up some minuscule project to justify it first though…

Feels like marketing hype to me as the machine doesn't know what torch is on the end of the cable.
It sure does sound like hype.

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
You need the TIG to weld a stand for your new TIG welder.
Circular logic FTW.
That’s a sweet suggestion!!!! I hadn’t thought of that.

I do have an appliance cart (with tracks on the back) to take heavy things up and down the stairs. I bet I could make a “bolt on TIG” cart that would allow it to do double duty!!!

trevj

Ultra Member
It pays to sort out the industry standard designations for the Torches.

The WP-20 Water Cooled torch is compatible with a WP-9 Air Cooled, all the consumables will interchange. You still get to fiddle with choosing between regular diffusers, and gas lens's, stubby and long cups, and all that, but you only need buy one system, if you choose wisely.

A WP-18 Torch will share compatibility with the air cooled WP-17. (and WP-26) But, 500 amps capacity, instead of 150!

By the time you sort through the variations, flex, and non-flex heads, rotating heads, valves, rheostats or switches, of various sorts mounted on the torch, etc., it looks like a minefield, but it really isn't that hard. A basic torch is pretty cheap, or you can spend a LOT, on a fully modular torch that has more options than a bucket of Lego blocks!

CK used to publish some pretty good torch consumable guide posters that were really handy for cross referencing over, from one torch style to another.

And, referring back to my first line, then you need to sort out what the new names, for the same old torches are, and sorta understand the cross referencing done by various outfits trying to spice up the same thing in to a different and 'unique to them', new part number... <sigh>

Mine CK17 came with the flex hose, all I can say is I'm impressed with the CK product.

The CK17 and Primeweld 225 match pretty good as the 100% duty cycle is about 150amps. For the little welding I do it is more than sufficient and for the occasional step beyond short duration the CK17 does ok as well.

Professionally, I would consider the water cooled option, possibly even their new machine TIG325X Here the torch options are separate.

KeeponDragon

Super User
And, referring back to my first line, then you need to sort out what the new names, for the same old torches are, and sorta understand the cross referencing done by various outfits trying to spice up the same thing in to a different and 'unique to them', new part number... <sigh>
This is so on point.
The cross reference jargon and backwards might is not sure will it compatibility mumbo jumbo is a bit for a guy to sort through.
Yes, I said that in my head whilst typing.
Now I'm armed with some details I can use to put a setup together
Thanks again gents!
The collaborative of experience here is awesome

trevj

Ultra Member
This is so on point.
The cross reference jargon and backwards might is not sure will it compatibility mumbo jumbo is a bit for a guy to sort through.
Yes, I said that in my head whilst typing.
Now I'm armed with some details I can use to put a setup together
Thanks again gents!
The collaborative of experience here is awesome
Honestly, it's not all that bad to figure out. You just have to sort out what sources are giving you the info you need or want!

KeeponDragon

Super User
Well...it took some investigation, but I found a vendor that can help with my project.
CK Worldwide was sort of helpful.
In that they said they don't offer what I'm looking for, but they felt confident I would be able to retrofit one of their setups to my machine.
At least they were honest.
Then my friend @ Norseman Welding in Scotland turned me onto a company called Parweld.
I was able to spec out a torch, without adapters, with cooling hookups, @ a 13 foot length and get a price of about 400$
Now I'm just waiting for an ETA from Oneweld in AB.