• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Wanted to buy

Brent H

Ultra Member
Hey @rcsights, what gears are these specially? Is it the gear set that has two gears on a single shaft? Something like 64 and 24 teeth?
I am going to make a gear set like this fit @Canadium - I think he has the same type lathe??

That sounds like the one.Teeth damaged on the small gear.

The picture below shows the part from one of my 9A South Bend lathes. The 'Guide to Renovating the South Bend Lathe' book calls this the back gear although its not what I would call the back gear. I own 2, 9A South Bends and have seen a few others and they all seem to suffer from broken gear teeth in these head stock gears much more so than any of the other gears.

zremSBgear.jpg zorigSBgear.jpg

Tom O

Ultra Member
That’s from engaging the back gear to remove screw on chuck my Clausing has the same problem 1/2 of one tooth gone.

Brent H

Ultra Member
@rcsights, the plan is to make one for @Canadium out of steel. I think originals are an iron casting that is finish machined. It would be difficult to get great casting quality at all points in the casting as it had to have the larger diameter for the big gear.
I have a gear that @Canadium gave me to measure up. It is missing many teeth - LOL. If you need it ASAP, PM me and we can possibly figure something out.

rcsights

Thanks.I have one that is also missing some teeth and will keep trying for the time being.Cost for one made of steel will be up there.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
I took a look at mine but can’t tell if the large gear is a separate piece. Even if it isn’t it could be re-used and you would only have to machine the smaller gear