• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

WANTED: Argon tank

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I would be interested in a meet-up to have someone demonstrate either oxy-acetylene or oxy-propane fundamentals

I haven’t used it myself , and have distant memories of bad incidents in shop class —. Bottom line it scares me a little

Yet, I see the benefits of “cut” anywhere which would be useful in scavenging of metal from remote sites

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
I would be interested in a meet-up to have someone demonstrate either oxy-acetylene or oxy-propane fundamentals

I haven’t used it myself , and have distant memories of bad incidents in shop class —. Bottom line it scares me a little

Yet, I see the benefits of “cut” anywhere which would be useful in scavenging of metal from remote sites

0AAB649C-BBC5-40E0-8992-D5647C199BA6.jpeg 8B9D0219-64F2-4F28-9D44-641E55C58184.jpeg
The little green tank is oxygen, the little white tank is propane. That’s my portable set, if I’m going somewhere and want torches with me.

About the only difference between oxy-acetylene and oxy-propane is with oxy-acetylene you light only acetylene first, then add in the oxygen. With oxy-propane you need to have both valves open the right amount to light it.

Well, the regulator and torch tips are different, but other than that the technique is the same once it’s lit. You can get different size tips, all that changes is flame temp and how much gas you go through.

As far as safety, I don’t consider them dangerous. Wear work boots and long pants, welding gloves and safety glasses. Depending on the angle you hold the torch dictates where the slag will land. Obviously you want to avoid having the hot slag land on flammable objects.

When it’s adjusted properly, you’ll have a bright blue centre flame near the top, and a lighter blue about 2-3” long. The bright blue is hotter and what you want to have on the metal. Once it starts to “puddle” hit the boost and cut away.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
What is the shut down process? I recall getting yelled at in shop class and that is was quite specific

Chicken lights

What is the shut down process? I recall getting yelled at in shop class and that is was quite specific

I turn both knobs off on the torch, then, if I’m done using them I turn the tanks off. I believe, if you want to do it properly, you open the torch back to drain the hoses, but I never do

The only “rule” I follow is no torch work for at least 30-45 minutes before shutting the shop down and leaving

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
FWIW Just got off the phone with Luke from Air Liquide in Regina. An argon tank, size 9, 1.3 cubic meters, approx 45 cubic ft, leases for 70/yr or buy for 230. A fill is 80 bucks.
Bigger tanks apparently come with a built in regulator but I didn't get a price.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
[QUOTE="Chicken lights, post: 16830,

The only “rule” I follow is no torch work for at least 30-45 minutes before shutting the shop down and leaving[/QUOTE]

That's because of fire hazard? Right?

Chicken lights

[QUOTE="Chicken lights, post: 16830,

The only “rule” I follow is no torch work for at least 30-45 minutes before shutting the shop down and leaving

That's because of fire hazard? Right?[/QUOTE]
Yep! In theory if a fire was going to start, it should’ve started in that amount of time. All of the fires I’ve started as a result of using torches started pretty much right away though

Chicken lights

That propane oxygen setup you’ve got there will it do welding? Can you run an oxygen cutting torch ? I was told by an instructor you can’t weld with propane but he worked for one of those industrial gas suppliers so I now wonder if that was accurate.
The one website I looked at said you can’t weld with oxy-propane but you can braze just fine with it.

No, mine is strictly a cutting torch, although I use it quite a bit to heat things up before attempting to remove the bolts.

I actually had never heard of “welding” with torches before. I’m kind of curious what the difference between welding and brazing is.

I meant to reply to this earlier, sorry

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
The one website I looked at said you can’t weld with oxy-propane but you can braze just fine with it.

No, mine is strictly a cutting torch, although I use it quite a bit to heat things up before attempting to remove the bolts.

I actually had never heard of “welding” with torches before. I’m kind of curious what the difference between welding and brazing is.

I meant to reply to this earlier, sorry
Welding is fusing metal together by means of melting the base metal and usually adding in with filler rod. Brazing is melting a different metal material (usually brass) that sort of "glues" the pieces together. With brazing you don't melt the base material.

Chicken lights

Welding is fusing metal together by means of melting the base metal and usually adding in with filler rod. Brazing is melting a different metal material (usually brass) that sort of "glues" the pieces together. With brazing you don't melt the base material.
Very interesting, thanks!

So last week a welder used a tig welder on something for me, but he didn’t use any filler rod. Is that still considered welding because he basically melted the steel together? He explained that there wasn’t room or need to add any filler rod as it was thin metal and didn’t need a high strength weld

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Very interesting, thanks!

So last week a welder used a tig welder on something for me, but he didn’t use any filler rod. Is that still considered welding because he basically melted the steel together? He explained that there wasn’t room or need to add any filler rod as it was thin metal and didn’t need a high strength weld
Yup, still welding cuz he is melting/fusing the metal together. TIG welding makes a particularly nice looking weld. If I say much more I might talking past my skill/knowledge about TIG welding (I don't own a TIG welder).

Brazing seems to be kind of old school now and not done much as I think a lot of the things I would braze could be tig welded (I could be wrong on that). I still like brazing for things like cast iron or dissimilar metals (cast to steel).

The things I would have torch welded in the past (thin metals like exhaust pipe) can be done now easier (and probably better) with my MIG welder.
I'm happy to answer questions I can, but I think there are a whole lot more qualified people around this forum that are much more knowledgeable.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
When I took welding we were first taught to gas weld. First without filler rod. I think it is the best way to learn puddle control. My son learnt the same way at SAIT about 10 years ago.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
When I took welding we were first taught to gas weld. First without filler rod. I think it is the best way to learn puddle control. My son learnt the same way at SAIT about 10 years ago.
Ha ha that's exactly how I learned gas welding in high school also. It's good to hear that somebody still thinks it's worthwhile teaching (at least SAIT did 10 years ago). Not being super knowledgeable about all welding technologies, I kind of thought gas welding may of been old school stuff of little value today.

Chicken lights

Ha ha that's exactly how I learned gas welding in high school also. It's good to hear that somebody still thinks it's worthwhile teaching (at least SAIT did 10 years ago). Not being super knowledgeable about all welding technologies, I kind of thought gas welding may of been old school stuff of little value today.
A buddy of mine went through welding school 2-3 years ago. He said they covered it, but oxy-acetylene only. I wonder if that’s the best teaching tool on how to form a bead? Or what it should look like?

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I am also on the lookout for cheap oxy-acetylene setup or maybe oxy-propane. Torch kits used for oxy-acetylene seem cheap but the tanks usually bring price much higher.

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
Yep! In theory if a fire was going to start, it should’ve started in that amount of time. All of the fires I’ve started as a result of using torches started pretty much right away though[/QUOTE]
The m
Yep! In theory if a fire was going to start, it should’ve started in that amount of time. All of the fires I’ve started as a result of using torches started pretty much right away though[/QUOTE]
The Mount Royal hotel in Banff burnt the top floor during roofing repairs, at 2 am the fire was spotted the fire watch had ended at 5pm (Flynn {the contractor} has a 1 hour mandatory fire watch where one employee uses a heat reader to monitor temps after everyone else has gone home, and torches off :30 before end of shift) :45 minutes is better than most give but diligence can only cover so many variables.

Chicken lights

My local Praxair charges $75 per year to lease a K size oxygen cylinder from them. When I bought my torches (Kijiji) they came with a K cylinder for oxygen. So I keep one full as a spare, one runs out I swap them out then take the empty one in to get filled.

I’m not sure what a lease would be on a smaller tank. When I needed to do some stainless mig welding they let me “demo” a small tank, which is still sitting in the shop in a corner. I should take that back...one of these days...