• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Victoria BC Logan 200 (modified) Lathe $1000

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
Looks like the quick change gearbox is missing.
If it was a Model 200 ( I think I see that on the nameplate) it didn't have a gearbox, originally. But I did spot those two bolts on the base. Doesn't a gearbox use a different leadscrew? That machine has definitely seen some changes, from the looks of things.

Rauce

Ultra Member
If it was a Model 200 ( I think I see that on the nameplate) it didn't have a gearbox, originally. But I did spot those two bolts on the base. Doesn't a gearbox use a different leadscrew? That machine has definitely seen some changes, from the looks of things.
Gearbox was an option on that lathe and that is the spot where it would bolt on. The leadscrew would be shorter I would think if it had a gearbox.

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
Gearbox was an option on that lathe and that is the spot where it would bolt on. The leadscrew would be shorter I would think if it had a gearbox.
Yes, you are correct- thanks.
Here's a clip from the catalog, the QCGB is listed under accessories:
optional QCGB.JPG

Attachments

• Logan catalog with Mod 200 210 details.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 2

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
Mine never had a QC, price is actually good, I sold mine for more.
@Degen - I've read a lot of your posts here; I find it hard to believe that your Logan was in similar condition to the one in the ad! :)
But, yes the price isn't too bad unless there is a hidden problem. I don't like the uncovered belts and pulleys. MIssing change gears? would be a deficit, but it does have the steady rest and two chucks. Certainly the bench is a useful thing since the original (5) legs and pan from that Model 200 have departed.
It really reminds me of what a good deal I got on my 210, though those don't come down the road often. And perhaps this seller would compromise on the price a fair bit....somebody (not me!) just has to go ask! :)

Last edited:
I had the tray and legs, yes I had the cover, full set of gears, everything worked, 4 jaw and 2-3 jaws. Centers both dead and live. Spare belts just not the steady rest, never did.

What I do find different is when you see the rear shot that the cover does not hacked though it is nothing similar to mine. And my 200 did not have the 2 bolts in the bed below the head stock (no holes period. Both those details make me question where it is a 200.

The fellow that bought is tickled pink, did a tune up (this was due), retrofitted some larger dials making easier for old eyes. And even source that a car serpentine belt can be used instead of the link belt with better success.

Why did I get rid if mine, I needed at least 1-3/8 inside of spindle for work that I was doing. It could still do the work but require a lot of additional prep and set up to it. Basically knock out about 20 mins per piece and that gets costly quickly (time wise). Beyond that it ran well for the close to 28 years or so I had and used it. The last 6 years saw lots of use.

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
BTW a good source for Logan lathes is:

They are still in business, got an email with their x-mas hours recently.
Yes, Logan Actuator (Scott Logan) still sells some parts for Logan lathes, which haven't been manufactured for decades. Scott also runs a Logan group at groups.io, and the Logan Facebook group. So that's a real plus. I sent him the serial number and he replied with the month of manufacture (Dec 1941) and the original purchaser--pretty amazing by 2022 standards..

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
Cover is wrong so I did a little looking, I think this is a W-700 (Ward's Lathe).

Changed plate??
Yes, the arrangement of the uncovered pulleys with the large (belt tension?) lever does look a lot like the Powercraft/Montgomery Wards lathe.
I think you get the 'Detective of the Month' award! :)
Pretty sneaky of somebody to have changed the nameplate!