• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

VFD to power a 4HP 230v/460v Bridgeport Motor

For anyone who followed my thread on how to get a bridgeport 50m down an alley, it turns out the Bridgeport is a Series II with a 4hp motor. Online reading says it probably weighs 5000#. We'll probably set it up in his shop for now...

Regardless, I'm going to need a VFD to turn this sucker on. I dont want to go down the road of setting up a PC/breakout/stepper drivers/stepper motors until I know the motor/variable belt drive/quill in this unit are in reasonable nick. Residential power in our shops with plenty of ability to wire a suitable sized breaker.

I'm pretty new to VFD's. I know I need a 5HP VFD to power a 4HP motor. What I dont know is do I need to rewire the motor for 230V 3PH or are there VFD's available that will take 220V 1PH and convert it to 460v 3PH in one go? Any particular brand recommendations?

1626299391991.png

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Wiring the motor for 220 shouldn't be a big problem. Pull the motor wire junction box cover, there should be a wiring diagram on the back side of it. It will look something like this.

WPLATE.JPG

You will want to wire for lo volts.

I think going 220 1PH to 460 3PH with a VFD would require a transformer on the single phase side. Could get pricy.

Last edited:
I think going 220 1PH to 460 3PH with a VFD would require a transformer on the single phase side. Could get pricy.

Thats my understanding as well (a step-up transformer needed), but the neighbour who owns the mill has it in his head there are VFD's that will somehow step up the voltage from 230 3ph to 460 3ph on the output side.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Thats my understanding as well (a step-up transformer needed), but the neighbour who owns the mill has it in his head there are VFD's that will somehow step up the voltage from 230 3ph to 460 3ph on the output side.

Start reading here.... https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com/threads/new-to-me-hartford-mill.3490/page-2#post-46651

and here... https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com/threads/bridgeport-project.3521/page-2#post-46718

It's been discussed already. A transformer between the VFD and motor messes up the motor feedback the VFD needs to do it's job properly.

Last edited:
YOu are misunderstanding me Craig. I'm just trying to establish that these 'magical' 1 ph 230V to 3 ph 460v VFD's dont exist to end the discussion with the neighbour (who owns teh bridgeport) and let me get on with finding a 1ph 230v to 3ph 230v VFD and installing it with the motor wiring changed. I dont want the extra complexity of a step-up transformer at all.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
YOu are misunderstanding me Craig. I'm just trying to establish that these 'magical' 1 ph 230V to 3 ph 460v VFD's dont exist to end the discussion with the neighbour (who owns teh bridgeport) and let me get on with finding a 1ph 230v to 3ph 230v VFD and installing it with the motor wiring changed. I dont want the extra complexity of a step-up transformer at all.

Stuff like that exists http://www.cnweiken.cn/en/list/41/266.htm Haven't found anything that goes to 460V yet.

Thats what I figured.

Alot easier to just get a 230v 1ph to 3ph vfd and rewire the motor leads.

So back to my other, original, question:

Can anyone recommend a Amazon (or other convenient online vendor) 5hp/4kw VFD to suit my needs? Any brands recommended or to avoid?

Last edited:

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
There are quite a few of us with the TECO/Westinghouse vfd's. Definitely not the cheapest kid on the block but the instructions are in REAL english and there are lots of setup videos on line. I have one running my 1.5hp lathe and it working well, smooth and and no issues.

My initial gut feeling was to go with a brand name even if it was a couple hundred more. Wanted to ask here to make sure I wasnt wasting money ;)

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I use huang yang (HY) Chinese units, no issues to report

I have a 7.5 kw unit on the bench that you could borrow to test drive the BP if you want.

Pm me if interested . I could show it to you under power and connected to motor so you can get a feel for it

I would ultimately need it back or replaced later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use huang yang (HY) Chinese units, no issues to report

I have a 7.5 kw unit on the bench that you could borrow to test drive the BP if you want.

Pm me if interested . I could show it to you under power and connected to motor so you can get a feel for it

I would ultimately need it back or replaced later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really appreciate the offer kevin! I did just go ahead and order a HY 7.5Kw unit from amazon that is supposed to be here Monday the 19th.

Proxule

Ultra Member
I really appreciate the offer kevin! I did just go ahead and order a HY 7.5Kw unit from amazon that is supposed to be here Monday the 19th.

Had a Huyang fail on me. Yes its cheaper but if you want special abilities like vector control or well documented settings and parameters.... choose a domestic brand. Otherwise a china brand is perfect.

The new Huanyang VFD's are capable of sensorless vector control.

this new series has better performance and stability and adopt DSP vector control to enable motor to achieve high torque in LOW SPEED rotation to increase motor working efficiency.The input is 1 phase

https://www.amazon.ca/Variable-Frequency-Inverter-Converter-HUANYANG/dp/B077KSN4C5/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=2GDIJ9BQS73QD&dchild=1&keywords=huanyang+vfd&qid=1626362741&sprefix=huanyang+,aps,205&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyV0RXMkZZS0xHVEc1JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjY4NDQzMk04QkFNMUwyQjFMRyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMzc2MTkyRDkxN1ZZQjFIQzhVJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Once you get over 3 HP the Teco drives get very expensive.

The Huanyang you linked above is the one I ordered this AM.

A TECO or Siemens 4KW/5 HP VFD was 800-900 bucks. I dont even know if this BP is serviceable yet so getting it running for a basic evaluation is my step 1.

Pic of the 5000# beast. Top of the motor is 8' off teh ground. I stood on teh ladder to get the motor plate pic.

1626388928889.png

Last edited: