• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Vertex Dividing Head Use

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Just throwing this out there in case.....before I go and buy new or make. The chuck mounting plate of my DH seems to have gone missing along the way and I'm wondering if anyone out there has one gathering dust.

Lacking that, I'm seeing them being manufactured from cast iron vs steel and I'm wondering if that's a question of economy for mass production or there's a good reason for it to be CI?

My DH is a Vertex BS-1 with 1-1/2-8 thread.

Tks,

D:cool:
Can you post a pic of your dividing head?

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Here's my advice, buy what you need after you've needed it. You'll go broke in a hurry with this hobby otherwise. There's also a few different ways of skinning cats, so don't watch a YT vid and think you need that tool. A lot can be done with a sharpie, a sharp nail and a square

yup I've bought rotary tables, broaching kits and a myriad of other assorted after reading about them in magazines "just knowing I'll need one sometime"...in some cases "sometime has been years down the road.
I bet I'm not the only shooting enthusiast on this forum that has bought shells or dies or brass or all the above for a caliber/rifle I don't even own at the time, but just know that I will sometime.

Just throwing this out there in case.....before I go and buy new or make. The chuck mounting plate of my DH seems to have gone missing along the way and I'm wondering if anyone out there has one gathering dust.

Lacking that, I'm seeing them being manufactured from cast iron vs steel and I'm wondering if that's a question of economy for mass production or there's a good reason for it to be CI?

My DH is a Vertex BS-1 with 1-1/2-8 thread.

Tks,

I might have one, I will check when I get home. On day three of my drive to pickup my new to me t&c grinder. It's on the deck and I am on the final 8hrs of the drive..... I'm a sucker for punishment it seems. :rolleyes:

Just got in the door..... A quick look didn't turn one up. :( I am not convinced that one might not show up yet, just probably not in a timely manner. ;)

Tecnico

(Dave)
Thanks for looking, I'm not in a panic but eventually I want to mount a chuck I have that came with the machine.

Hope digging around didn't get in the way of unpacking your new machine!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I'm wondering if that's a question of economy for mass production or there's a good reason for it to be CI?

As far as I know, it's really just cost. The better ones out there are all machined from steel. If I were making one, I'd start with a slab of steel plate.

But whatever you can find free is always good. I'm an old scrounger. As someone posted, an old barbell weight might be perfect

Tecnico

(Dave)
But whatever you can find free is always good. I'm an old scrounger. As someone posted, an old barbell weight might be perfect

Scrounge/repurposing is sooo satisfying. No barbells laying around so I'll have to be patient and see what falls in my lap until I'm not.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
LOL! I like to call it frugality (which is another way of saying conserving cash for more toys) or in these times it's also synonymous with being green!

Not me, I call it Gyvering and/or farmbricating.

garageguy

Super User
Premium Member
Sometimes you just need to use your imagination (one of my shortcomings). I was looking for some plate AL to make a mounting plate for a lathe chuck. Spent days searching for the stuff. couldn't find anything, then saw a steel plate that was an adaptor for a brake lathe sitting in my storage shed. It was already machined flat and parallel so all I had to do was change the contour a bit and drill the necessary holes. Often the solution to the problem is not that far away.

Tecnico

(Dave)
Sometimes you just need to use your imagination (one of my shortcomings). I was looking for some plate AL to make a mounting plate for a lathe chuck. Spent days searching for the stuff. couldn't find anything, then saw a steel plate that was an adaptor for a brake lathe sitting in my storage shed. It was already machined flat and parallel so all I had to do was change the contour a bit and drill the necessary holes. Often the solution to the problem is not that far away.
You know, I have a chunk of Al plate that measures .390" laying around, I should put it on the list of candidates as at least a for now solution.

mickeyf

A 2lb cast iron barbell weight might be a good start.
Very often barbell weights are not suitable for machining - sand inclusion and other defects. They only need to be the right weight and approximate size for their intended purpose, and the material itself is very poor quality for further working. You might get lucky if you go this route, but manage your expectations.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Very often barbell weights are not suitable for machining - sand inclusion and other defects. They only need to be the right weight and approximate size for their intended purpose, and the material itself is very poor quality for further working. You might get lucky if you go this route, but manage your expectations.

Excellent point!

I just moved exercise weights down the priority on my dumpster diving list.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I have had very good luck then. Our local Play It Again Sports has weights pretty cheap and i've made a few things with them and they machined like any other cast iron. No sand or pockets.