• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Vancouver Island Meet-up Saturday Oct 12th 2:00pm to 3:30pm - All Welcome!

Free steak..... Me and my seven boys will be right along.... :p :rolleyes:
You'd all be welcome!

In my youth I was a cook at a Holiday Inn and worked with the chef many evenings. I tell people: the first 200 steaks are the hardest to get right. That's why I practiced on other people's steaks.

Meeting Review Notes:

Meating started 2:00 pm

In Attendance: Mike (yotabota), Chris (Cimac), John (Dabbler), Paul (Paul L), Mickey (MikeyF) Tom, (Tom C938), David (David R8), Benoit, Larry & Rob (SkookumRob)

- Intro's around the table and a generous donation of some very delicious banana bread from @BenoitL (Thanks again!)

- Follow up on "SystemBoard" end mill storage from the last meeting - watch for a post on a "bulk order" we are putting together!

- SkookumRob gave a presentation on Abrasive sanding belt materials and characteristics

- Show & Tell around the table - some very interesting and great quality pieces along with some creative workholding examples!

Meeting adjourned (officially) 3:45 PM

Sorry I had to run at the end, but the socializing and kibitzing looked like it was carrying on in the parking lot for quite a while!

Here are a few pictures from the day:
20241012_130451.jpg20241012_132938.jpg20241012_132907.jpg20241012_151822.jpg

20241012_151836.jpg20241012_151849.jpg

20241012_151855.jpg

Meeting Review Notes:

Meating started 2:00 pm

In Attendance: Mike (yotabota), Chris (Cimac), John (Dabbler), Paul (Paul L), Mickey (MikeyF) Tom, (Tom C938), David (David R8), Benoit, Larry & Rob (SkookumRob)

- Intro's around the table and a generous donation of some very delicious banana bread from @BenoitL (Thanks again!)

- Follow up on "SystemBoard" end mill storage from the last meeting - watch for a post on a "bulk order" we are putting together!

- SkookumRob gave a presentation on Abrasive sanding belt materials and characteristics

- Show & Tell around the table - some very interesting and great quality pieces along with some creative workholding examples!

Meeting adjourned (officially) 3:45 PM

Sorry I had to run at the end, but the socializing and kibitzing looked like it was carrying on in the parking lot for quite a while!

Here are a few pictures from the day:
View attachment 52912View attachment 52913View attachment 52914View attachment 52915

View attachment 52916View attachment 52917

View attachment 52918
Need to work on our diversity....

The meeting was great! I thought I knew a little about sanding/grinding belts. boy was there a lot I didn't know!!!

Everyone was very nice! I also got to see @DavidR8 new shop, a complete tour of @PaulL shop, and Benoit's forge - fantastic!

On the way home, I got to exchange some stories with @140mower and bring home a project or 2.

It was a fantastic trip! Thanks everyone (especially @PaulL ) for all your hospitality!!

Need to work on our diversity....
Whatever do you mean? We had people from the South Island, people from the North Island, and even an "easterner" from Calgary. Some in their 60s, some in their 70s, and maybe some in their 80s(?). Some were retired. Some were not. Some were old white guys...oh, wait....

Last edited:
That’s Westerners from Calgary I think Saskatchewan is the divider.
The rest sounds accurate.

For most of us here in the east, Manitoba is still West. To those in the Maritimes, Quebec and Ontario are West.

If you go far enough East, you end up out West.

I was born in Saskatchewan and therefore Alberta/Saskatchewan will always be out west and home to me. BC isn't out west, it's BC. Similarly, Manitoba is Manitoba, Yukon is Yukon, NWT is NWT. Ontario isnt out east, its just Ontario, and Toronto is not Ontario. Toronto is not even Canada. It's some God aweful place I don't even like to visit. Out East is Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, and PEI. Quebec is Quebec.

All just one man's version of West and East in Canada.

For most of us here in the east, Manitoba is still West. To those in the Maritimes, Quebec and Ontario are West.

If you go far enough East, you end up out West.

I was born in Saskatchewan and therefore Alberta/Saskatchewan will always be out west and home to me. BC isn't out west, it's BC. Similarly, Manitoba is Manitoba, Yukon is Yukon, NWT is NWT. Ontario isnt out east, its just Ontario, and Toronto is not Ontario. Toronto is not even Canada. It's some God aweful place I don't even like to visit. Out East is Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, and PEI. Quebec is Quebec.

All just one man's version of West and East in Canada.
Perspective is interesting! Growing up on the Prairies, "out" or "down" or "back" East was not Ontario, it was the other side of the great abyss where Thunder Bay is located. But when we moved to the Island, a lady from church was talking about going to visit family "back East". She kept using that terminology so I finally asked her where they lived. Her response: "Kelowna"!

Aren't most serious hobbies expensive? I mean, serious woodworking, serious car restoration, serious philately or numismatics? I can't think of a hobby that doesn't get expensive if it gets serious. Hell, even gardening.
There are so many hobbies that are inexpensive, tons of them. But painting happy faces on river rocks does not teach the same level of skills and thinking as learning machining

Back