• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

UV Resin and a custom machined cabochon for a fishing reel

The problem with buying local is they jack the price ridiculously for the same Chinese products you can buy direct. I was quoted $30,000 from CanCam in TO 4 years ago for the same thing I bought from Cloudray direct for $4G's. They claim to give better service but my pal in Ohio bought local and paid dear and when it went down they took a month to fix it. I had a switch go bad on mine and they shipped four new ones plus a new power supply (just in case) for free and in 5 days. They all sell them with EZcad II or 3 but it's a garbage program often referred to as EZcrash. Once I bought Lighburn it was a game changer.

Urethanes (both hard casting & flexible rubbers for molds) are notorious for short shelf life & adversely affected by humidity. If you can use it up in time, its a wonderful product with many fantastic variants. Epoxy has its downsides too, but its generally more forgiving.

The problem with buying local is they jack the price ridiculously for the same Chinese products you can buy direct. I was quoted $30,000 from CanCam in TO 4 years ago for the same thing I bought from Cloudray direct for $4G's. They claim to give better service but my pal in Ohio bought local and paid dear and when it went down they took a month to fix it. I had a switch go bad on mine and they shipped four new ones plus a new power supply (just in case) for free and in 5 days. They all sell them with EZcad II or 3 but it's a garbage program often referred to as EZcrash. Once I bought Lighburn it was a game changer.
I hear you... but it would still be great to be able to test product. I'd have had a new 3D printer by now if I could, and a laser cutter.

I hear you... but it would still be great to be able to test product. I'd have had a new 3D printer by now if I could, and a laser cutter.
I think the problem with "testing" the product locally. Is people go and "test" the product, then find it online for cheaper & buy from there.

Which is fine, but one of the things you give up for a lower price...

With most online return policies it's a non issue anyways. Buy a 3d printer from amazon and it's not what it should be it's free to return & they delivered it right to your door.

I'm not familiar with that one Peter. I used to use Alumilite all the time. Some days I'd pour random amounts and get a great cure, a few weeks back I got all technical and weighed both and the next day it like thick soup still! Leaves me scratching my head. That's why I thought I'd try UV. Alumilite sells a catalyst version which works well be goes bad quick of you don't use it.
Which Alumilite were you using. Mine mixes by weight , not volume. And it does make a huge difference.

That's really nice! I've never thought of putting a anything on display under a transparent cabochon. That is a great idea! Even with a real gemstone, If the clarity of the stone is clear enough, the beuty of the stone's color could realy add something to a design like an engraving underneath.

Back