• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Using horizontal cutters without keyway

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
So I had in the past few of these and now I got few more and there is a guy on FB that has like 20 more for cheap.

But how do I use horizontal cutters that are missing keyway that transfers power? Side pressure may be enough for a saw but not a carbide tipped 1" 5" diameter cutter. See image. No keyway. What to do? Maybe that is why these don't seem to have any wear.
IMG_20200918_184646.jpg

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Good question. Maybe left without key so the shop could adapt to whatever spindle they had?
You'll need something for those paddles haha

Johnwa

Ultra Member
When I had my Burke horizontal mill the spindle did not have a key way. I had some 4 or 5”x1/2” cutters that worked fine without using a key.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
OK, so you suggest this thing will not spin with just side pressure? Well, I guess I can test that in the mill - I guess end mills are held in there with just collet pressure - OTOH there is a weldon shank in there to prevent spin for larger end mills.

I guess I could try it and see what happens. With a small depth of cut it may not spin. But then, why is there keyway cut into most cutters if it would not be needed? For 1" I think it is 1/4" and for 1 1/4 it is 5/16th so the keyway grows in size.

Also it seems carbide tipped cutters don't have a keyway, HSS does.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I wonder if the original use of these cutters was in wood - as opposed to metal? Just looking at the sections that hold the carbide tips, they look thin for heavy metal cuts. However, if they were used in a wood shaper/jointer at high speed/low torque, there would be lots of flute space for wood chips and the driving torque would not be that great and a clamping drive would suffice.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I did see some wood dust on them so you guys may be onto something. Looks like they could have been used on a massive wood shaper.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
The cutter disk is 1/3 the thickness of the cutters - that implies very low force on the teeth, hence high speed cutting, i.e. for wood.

-- by running at low chip loading per tooth, they can be used in aluminum with no problem.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I looked at the amount of unsupported carbide on each tooth: that is typical of wood cutters.

Agree with @Dabbler - there should be no issues in aluminum if care is taken.