• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Use Acurite 5 scales with a Chinese DRO?

After digging deeper I decided to take the plunge. I ordered the ESP-32 chip. and will work own wiring it on a breadboard. Then go from there.

Very cool Tom. You are a lot braver than I am. I'm rooting for you and hope you nail it!

Did you order a bare ESP-32 or one on a development board? If so, which one?

I'm pretty excited to follow along and watch your progress. I hope you are willing to share the details.

I'm certainly willing to share.

I'm not sure if I'm braver - I think I am still stuck in my teen/young adult years. Meaning I'm too dumb to know that I can't do it. When I try it usually works out. The one major fail I had was rebuilding my carberator in my dorm room. Just barely limped to the garage to get it fixed. But otherwise I'mtoo dumb to know I can't.

I got the chip on a board. This one: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B09KLQF4RR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I likely overpaidd, but got two that will likely work properly. And then I have an extra one for when I cook something on the first one.

I got the chip on a board.

You can mount that on a plug prototype board or you can plug it into one of these that has screw terminals to reduce soldering in development.

Personally, I like the latter cuz too much soldering and unsoldering messes up everything. There isn't a lot of room on most development boards. But you can use the screw terminals to run wires over to a development board

Thanks for the suggestion.

There will be learning curve when I go from the breadboard to the circuit board.

I do have an ace in the hole: A friend who was an electrical engineer and used to work for TI and Fairchild Semiconductor down in the States.

As I recall, you have a VFD in your shop. I have two expensive Teco units in my shop. They are RF noise monsters. Input filtering and double shielded output cable seems to solved most of the problems.

Did you return your touch unit? If not, wanna sell it?
I have located it. I have a 3 axis unit in a box, and a spare un-used Arduino board. Both these A-boards are from Texas Instruments.
Make me an offer

I have located it. I have a 3 axis unit in a box, and a spare un-used Arduino board. Both these A-boards are from Texas Instruments.
Make me an offer

That's awesome!

I'm in the Chichimaun Ferry line up right now heading north for my youngest son's wedding. I seem to be able to do some things here but as soon as the ferry leaves, I'll prolly get cut off and might be off line till next Wednesday.

In the meantime, I'm surprised to read your DRO is 3 axis. I thought TouchDRO only came as 4 axis with optional RPM.

Can you tell me what scale technology it was setup for?

That's awesome!

I'm in the Chichimaun Ferry line up right now heading north for my youngest son's wedding. I seem to be able to do some things here but as soon as the ferry leaves, I'll prolly get cut off and might be off line till next Wednesday.

In the meantime, I'm surprised to read your DRO is 3 axis. I thought TouchDRO only came as 4 axis with optional RPM.

Can you tell me what scale technology it was setup for?
I can't remember, there may be spots on the board for a forth one, but 3 is what I did. It used iGaging scales. I had a Busy Be knee mill and when I sold it I put the iGaging reader heads back on it and kept the Touch.

Years back I built one for a friend in Wyoming and when he died he left me his whole machine shop. So I got that setup back and sold it with the lathe.

Back