UPS Charges

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I believe there has been some discussion on the forum about this subject but I can't seem to make the search function work and therefore can not find any helpful threads pertaining to this.

I have ordered something from Aliexpress and just got dinged for $27 from. UPS. I believe I may have paid some sort of charge on my DROS but other than that I never get dinged extra and don't understand how or when these charges should be expected. Any clues or suggestions?

Proxule

Ultra Member
I avoid UPS like the plague, I specifically request aliexpress standard, or FEDEX if its a higher value. I had a large value granite square from china come EMS and it showed up with canadapost with no extra charges or fees. If its coming from USA, I elect to use USPS if at all possible!
The big carriers all have a processing fee and fees they collect for them to process your paper work and release from customs bla bla. I don't know exactly all the items, But UPS being the worst.

I have in the past released my packages from the Edmonton international airport ( where the carriers deliver the packages ).
Its a bit of a process and it does help quite a bit on big value packages. I suppose its a moot topic if you are not near the entry point, IE multiple hour drive to your depot.

Sorry for your loss, or gain. How ever you look at it.

Others may be able to give their experiences and a better idea of what they are charging or dinging us.

Gluck

Last edited:
Yes I think my experience is same as @Proxule . If shipped by government carrier ie USPS and Canada Post there are no extra border fees. Otherwise with private carriers there are exorbitant border fees. Whenever I'm having something shipped from the US I ask the shipper to ship via USPS. They don't always do as I ask or understand what I'm telling them but sometimes it helps.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Whenever I order anything from outside of Canada, I begin by assuming I will probably have to pay duty, HST, and a brokerage fee. That way I'm never disappointed when it arrives without.

In my experience, it's least likely to happen with USPS, BBUUTT, It will likely take forever to get here.

UPS is the worst. It will usually come faster than USPS, but there will ALWAYS be a brokerage fee no matter how small the order is.

FEDEX & Purolator are in between. You can flip a coin as to what will happen. For the most part they have been good to me.

If you want quick delivery, order from a reputable Canadian supplier and watch out for "import and duty fees might apply" which is a sign it's not really coming from Canada after all.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
About 15 years ago I purchased a vacuum from Washington state, shipping was to be 30$. 700$ vacuum. UPS dinged me about 350$ for border clearance fee, and landed it in Vancouver. Since I could not (at the time) get it out of UPS hands without paying the extortion, the vacuum cost me all that extra.

This was in the days before the current buyer protection features built in to credit cards, so I was over the barrel.

Nowadays I specify to a vendor that if they ship UPS i will refuse the shipment. 3 vendors have tried over the last 10 years, and had to pay shipping 2 ways. I will ship Fedex - but ground only (Fedex is actually 2 completely different companies that are commonly owned but operate independently) Or USPS. For bigger items I use Yellow Freight or Hercules from the USA to Canada.

One day I might try DKW border services, but they go by the pound which never seems favourable to me.

For domestic, I use Fedex or Purolator -- NOT Purolator for international - ever again. (again bad experiences)

Downwindtracker2

UPS has the worst brokerage fees . Canada Post has brokerage fees as well, it was $5 but it has gotten more. They don't bother a lot of the time I've found. Grizzly ships UPS only on Canadian orders for parts. I had to back order wood shaper parts, it was an ouch. At the border I expect to pay GST and PST, I have pay it here anyway. It always bothers me when I have to pay GST and PST on Washington state tax, though.

curmudgeon

(Steve)
You can avoid some of the UPS charges by clearing customs yourself. You do this in-person at a CBSA Inland Office (I use the one at the closest international airport). This page provides a relatively current step-by-step of the process - https://goingawesomeplaces.com/how-...e-fees-in-canada-self-clearance-instructions/ The instructions look very comprehensive, but I have not verified them myself.

Also in that article was a claim that some express/expedited UPS shipping methods have the duty/tax/brokerage costs included; again, I have not verified.
Which types of UPS shipping methods don't charge brokerage fees?
UPS Worldwide Express Plus, UPS Worldwide Express, UPS Worldwide Express Freight, UPS Worldwide Express Saver, and UPS Worldwide Expedited services.

Like others, I actively avoid UPS, or have UPS ship to a trans-border freight forwarder in Blaine, WA and then clear customs myself at YYJ and pickup my goods from the bonded warehouse. On lower valued goods, CBSA agents may not collect the GST/PST. A CBSA agent at YYJ has physically inspected my goods only once to verify the contents were what was recorded on the forms; I wonder how that would work when self-clearing a UPS shipment?

Next time, I "need" something and UPS is the only option, I'll try the self-clearing instructions on the link above.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I will not buy anything from the US that is shipped only via UPS.
UPS from overseas seems to be ok for some reason but from the US I have paid item cost in brokerage fees.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I will not buy anything from the US that is shipped only via UPS.
UPS from overseas seems to be ok for some reason but from the US I have paid item cost in brokerage fees.
My item was straight from China and Aliexpress.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Wow, well I guess I will see if that's changed as I have laser parts coming from China via UPS <fingerscrossed/>
So on my item, FedEx, DHL, etc were all options for shipping but they all had shipping fees. The UPS one was the one that said free shipping to me.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
For international shipments, I believe the distinction is independent courier based delivery (UPS, Fedex...) and 'the post office' based delivery (Canada Post, USPS).
When a courier like UPS delivers they charge extra fees to assess the duty amount. It doesn't matter if its duty free or duty payable, or a box of air at 0$ value, they charge the fee.
When CP does this on your behalf, they charge flat 5$ (unless its gone up or changed formula). Supposedly its lower because its a government subsidized to make it competitive. There may also be variations in the shipping charges & delivery timing etc. among them. Some discount shipping, others dont. In all cases you pay a GST & PST if applicable, ultimately goes to the government one way or another.

Its easy to say NO UPS/FEDEX, but what you may find is many USA based business will simply say too bad. Why? Because they probably have a courier accounts where the truck shows up & takes 400 parcels, all the export docs are prepared online etc. USPS does have an equivalent to this, but it varies by region. Most wont be bothered standing in line at a post office.

Sometimes what you will find, maybe Ali is an example, is they 'assume' Canada is like USA so offer UPS as a service. Its up to you to spot this up front & find an alternative.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I have never had AliExpress offer UPS. So maybe you have a different type of seller. Or maybe there is something in your account setup that is making them assume you are USA based. Like maybe you made a seemingly harmless remark regarding a controversial balloon & the transmitter in your fridge forwarded this data. LOL.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
You can avoid some of the UPS charges by clearing customs yourself.
In years past UPS would not forward the paperwork to you, and so when they land the parcel 800 km away, You have to physically pick up the paperwork to clear customs. This is how they extort money from you. They got me once . Never again.
Its easy to say NO UPS/FEDEX, but what you may find is many USA based business will simply say too bad.
I have had that situation. Sometimes I've had to switch vendors.

Sometimes I have convinced them to use a USPS flat rate box. It depends. Sometimes they can just 'do it once' sometimes you convince them to add USPS to their normal delivery methods. In the US, USPS will pick up parcels from business at business address for free to the vendor. (some vendors do not know this).

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
In years past UPS would not forward the paperwork to you, and so when they land the parcel 800 km away, You have to physically pick up the paperwork to clear customs. This is how they extort money from you.
I had something shipped from the USA a couple years back. Following the forum advice I had the shipping company email me the self clear form. Stopped at the border on the way home, the border agents took my money, and a couple days later the package was delivered.

I’m a bit fuzzy on the fine details now but it was quite handy to “just happen” to be at the border

Crankit

Interesting topic and replies.....I did O/O for Purolator for ten years and they sub'd for UPS for just about everywhere other than metro areas. I too got screwed by UPS long prior to delivering for them and hence, had much experience in educating my customers in how to avoid UPS brokerage fees. Like others already have written, I see a product I want, second step, look who they use to ship. I used to tell my customers this!

It used to be if you expedited a shipment with UPS they would include broker fees in that freight charge ,which saved some money, as there was extra delivery costs for ground shipments due to three delivery attempts. UPS now adds a $10 fee for brokerage to expedited shipments.

UPS and most couriers have a base charge and a sliding scale according to cost of item, total bs as the paperwork doesn't get any harder. Canada Post did a flat rate although I think that's changed some. UPS took CP to court in the late 2000's trying to declare unfair trade practices over things like this. it got dropped.

Items not covered under NAFTA will get hammered with tariffs, watch out for clothing as it's all imported textiles.

Sometimes it's just the cost of doing a purchase and be prepared to take a hit, but make sure the shipper doesn't ship items in separate shipments over a period of time or different locations or you will double up on brokerage! seen this way too many times.....BRUTAL!

Finally, don't use UPS ))

Cheers.....

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
I have ordered something from Aliexpress and just got dinged for $27 from. UPS.
Lots of discussion, but $27 is an unusual UPS charge...what exactly was it for? Was it only brokerage or duty+taxes+brokerage ? I buy a LOT of items from AliExpress and like @PeterT I've never had shipping via UPS.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'm noticing few changes in AliExpress shipping options. Not sure if its the vendor or value or general improvements, but some vendors offer 'faster' delivery for a fee. But I have never seen UPS specified as an option. Some items from China are arriving within weeks & as much as half of the wait time is after I get an email saying 'arrived in your country'. Go figure.

Anyways, not sure if DYK is in your vicinity but it alleviates this headache from USA items. Let them send it via UPS or whatever floats their boat. It gets to the USA address often much cheaper than w can send inter-province. Then DYK trucks from there. You pay a (principally weight based) fee of course, but at least you can get items that are generally off limits if they ship 'only inside USA' or 'only UPS' etc.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Lots of discussion, but $27 is an unusual UPS charge...what exactly was it for? Was it only brokerage or duty+taxes+brokerage ? I buy a LOT of items from AliExpress and like @PeterT I've never had shipping via UPS.
It wasn't exactly $27 even and I believe that was all fees in, including gst, as that was the total amount I paid (+-). I don't have the invoice at the moment to verify.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Sometimes it's just the cost of doing a purchase and be prepared to take a hit, but make sure the shipper doesn't ship items in separate shipments over a period of time or different locations or you will double up on brokerage! seen this way too many times.....BRUTAL!
That's another DYK advantage. If you get multiple packages from the same seller (important) they calculate combined fees as though it were a single shipment. That happened to me on a materials order. Metal came from one location, plastic came from another. OTOH if you happen to have an Ebay item arrive same time as XYZ Tools, sorry, 2 separate shipments charged separately.

Also shipping into USA via DYK is hands down cheaper than CP. They truck to border, then goes USPS with tracking number. When I go there I typically see home entrepreneurs unloading a duffle bag of parcels.