UPS Charges

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
Shipping to Canada, I avoid UPS like the plague. Way too many times, some trivial package that costs next to nothing has brokerage fees that exceed the value of the actual item. I actually joined a class action against UPS and received multiple compensation cheques. It took me all of about two minutes to join the class action suit.
I hate UPS. Always the brokerage fees. FEDEX is the way to go.. I have an item coming in next week.. and did not have a choice but UPS... They charged XXX for shipping, but no mention of brokerage fees. I think it may have been included in the price... ???

Tecnico

(Dave)
It was basically 50/50 split
So, about $10.00 for their brokerage service, you did fine on that one!

I hate UPS. Always the brokerage fees. FEDEX is the way to go.. I have an item coming in next week.. and did not have a choice but UPS... They charged XXX for shipping, but no mention of brokerage fees. I think it may have been included in the price... ???

Vendors know Canadians hate UPS too!

They might turn up at the door with their hand out too......I've had that happen. Had a recent experience like that with with FedEx Air also although the fee was only $10.00+tax so I was OK with it. FedEx also rebated me the fee after I questioned it.

D :cool:

buckbrush

I had a like new 4” Kurt mill vise shipped from the U.S to me in Calgary. The seller would only ship UPS but it was a great deal so I said OK. He wrote to me thru EBay and said “ don’t worry I have a dodge”. When the package arrived I asked the UPS driver how much I owed him. He said ”nothing is was shipped as a gift”. This was at least 15 years ago, so it may not work now.

Proxule

Ultra Member
I had a like new 4” Kurt mill vise shipped from the U.S to me in Calgary. The seller would only ship UPS but it was a great deal so I said OK. He wrote to me thru EBay and said “ don’t worry I have a dodge”. When the package arrived I asked the UPS driver how much I owed him. He said ”nothing is was shipped as a gift”. This was at least 15 years ago, so it may not work now.
I wonder what you get if the seller said he has a Ford or a Toyota??

Crankit

The Canadian Gov't prior 2007 capped the "gift" exception to Can$60. Currency exchanging from USD to CAD easily put gifts into taxable/brokerage territory