Upgrade on lathe and mill.

Chipper5783

In Alberta? Like Trev says, keep looking, build your network, ask around. I live in Alberta, I’ve picked up a machine pretty well every year for the past 10 years - sometimes I pay as much as 10 cents on the dollar compared to new. Usually I pay the scrap metal price (couple times they have even delivered the machine), they look awful - and putz away fixing them. Everything working great (granted I traded my time for not spending money). It depends on what you want, depend on what you can live with, plenty of opportunities out there.

I guess I’m a contrarian: in machines I look for not working, rusty, dirty and broken/missing pieces. That way I can get cool and cheap.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
In Alberta? Like Trev says, keep looking, build your network, ask around. I live in Alberta, I’ve picked up a machine pretty well every year for the past 10 years - sometimes I pay as much as 10 cents on the dollar compared to new. Usually I pay the scrap metal price (couple times they have even delivered the machine), they look awful - and putz away fixing them. Everything working great (granted I traded my time for not spending money). It depends on what you want, depend on what you can live with, plenty of opportunities out there.

I guess I’m a contrarian: in machines I look for not working, rusty, dirty and broken/missing pieces. That way I can get cool and cheap.

ah, I see, a competitor!

Howdy brother from a different ma and pa. :p
I once came home with a receipt for work done that I should have done myself, when SWMBO inquired as to the amount, I simply replied " Turns out, there's only two things in the world that are cheap anymore......... You and me!". :rolleyes:

AntonB

I gues that begs the question. Where does everyone look for their deals? This may run a kin to ask wheres your favorite fishing spot so ill understand.

Ive been surfing kajiji and market place and a couple of auction sites where i have had some success picking up machining and fab tools.

Any other hidden spots to be looking?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Any other hidden spots to be looking?

Craig's list, and especially local kijiji/marketplace groups that you have to find and join.

Another big opportunity is to place wanted ads. It always amazes me how many people don't do this.

Last, but not least is your friends network including this forum.