Upcoming Sale of Machine Shop

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
A very good friend of mine, who is a machinist, passed away recently, and his wife has asked me to try to sell his machines. I've attached some pictures of the machines, but I will update with more information. I am also asking you guys to give me a rough estimation of what these items might be worth.
There is a ton of other stuff too, vices, drill bits, drill chucks, reamers, precision measuring tools, etc.

I would rather sell this stuff to you guys first, before we go onto Kijiji, Marketplace, or good forbid an auction house.

These machines are located about 10 minutes north of Barrie Ontario.

Attachments

• 20240126_130313.jpg
    20240126_130313.jpg
    553.1 KB · Views: 187
  • 20240126_130854.jpg
    20240126_130854.jpg
    567.8 KB · Views: 174
  • 20240126_130227.jpg
    20240126_130227.jpg
    569.8 KB · Views: 156
  • 20240126_130147.jpg
    20240126_130147.jpg
    526 KB · Views: 145
  • 20240126_130339.jpg
    20240126_130339.jpg
    511.4 KB · Views: 135
  • 20240126_130401.jpg
    20240126_130401.jpg
    543.4 KB · Views: 135
  • 20240126_130433.jpg
    20240126_130433.jpg
    579.1 KB · Views: 164
  • 20240126_130325.jpg
    20240126_130325.jpg
    563.6 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I am so sorry to hear this @thestelster. This is a window into the future for all of us here. I hope this works out as well for his wife as I hope it does for mine.

I'll happily buy what I can at a very fair price. Certainly way better to do that here for her than Kijiji.

Most of the machines I recognize, but some I don't. If you can edit your post, can you mention what the machines are above or below the photos? If you can't do that, let me know and I'll do it for you.

Most of my interests will be smaller tools and supplies. I've sent you a txt of what I'm looking for right now, but I'll also reply to additional posts as you list them.

Horrible job you have there. My condolences and best wishes.

trlvn

Ultra Member
good [sic] forbid an auction house.
Condolences on your friend's passing.

I don't understand the problem with an auction, though? In the last few years, especially after Covid started, prices are sky-high in online auctions. Yes, the auctioneer takes a healthy percentage but the alternative is for you to put a tremendous amount of time into selling stuff onsey-twosey.

On another forum, there is a guy that has been selling off stuff from an estate for what seems like an incredibly long time (3+ years?). Granted, in that case, the former owner had hoarded a jaw-dropping amount of stuff. My impression, however, is that the guy handling that sale wishes he had never started down this path.

The key is selecting a decent auctioneer that has a clue. I don't know any in the Barrie area but I think the guy at Wallenstein isn't too bad.

FWIW,

Craig

I use HGR as a rough gauge for pricing, they are in US dollars:

CNC Lathe this one can vary a lot, cnc equipment of this age can be crippled quickly by electrical gremlins....goes from $5000 to scrap dollars in a hurry (I think it was a Bridgeport/Romi cnc lathe on marketplace for $5 or 6k a couple months back, similar design to this one but newer)
Colchester lathe looks like a custom made setup on there, assuming it can be put back to original, I think there was one of these on gcsurplus a few weeks ago, went for $5k, now being flipped for $8k
Surface grinder - can't tell the brand, if the mag chuck works I'd say $600ish might be able to get more but its an oldie
Manual mill - I'd start by asking $3500ish
Sunnen hone (they have several, $380-$1000)
Welder

Other factors:
Is there is lifting equipment on site or does buyer need to arrange their own rigging
If the machines are 600V they are not as desirable for this crowd.

Sorry to hear about your friend, he had some fine machines here.
No offense taken if others want correct my numbers above.

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I use HGR as a rough gauge for pricing, they are in US dollars:

CNC Lathe this one can vary a lot, cnc equipment of this age can be crippled quickly by electrical gremlins....goes from $5000 to scrap dollars in a hurry (I think it was a Bridgeport/Romi cnc lathe on marketplace for $5 or 6k a couple months back, similar design to this one but newer)
Colchester lathe looks like a custom made setup on there, assuming it can be put back to original, I think there was one of these on gcsurplus a few weeks ago, went for $5k, now being flipped for $8k
Surface grinder - can't tell the brand, if the mag chuck works I'd say $600ish might be able to get more but its an oldie
Manual mill - I'd start by asking $3500ish
Sunnen hone (they have several, $380-$1000)
Welder

Other factors:
Is there is lifting equipment on site or does buyer need to arrange their own rigging
If the machines are 600V they are not as desirable for this crowd.

Sorry to hear about your friend, he had some fine machines here.
No offense taken if others want correct my numbers above.
Thank you Dave. This is very helpful. I will put all pertinent information in the coming days.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I don't understand the problem with an auction, though? In the last few years, especially after Covid started, prices are sky-high in online auctions.

My two cents for what it's worth.

I watch the local auctions quite closely. They do seem to generate sky high bids from time-to-time for popular things. But just as often they don't. When the latter happens, you are stuck selling at a basement price. When you sell privately, you get to choose to sell or not based on an offer.

My wife has been advised to auction off my farm stuff and either sell or give my tools to someone privately. Of course, she will do whatever she wants when that time actually comes.

I don't know what that fellow on another site is doing but I'd guess he either thinks it's all worth more than it is or he is being a hardnosed seller on her behalf.

If I were selling for a buddy or his wife, the little stuff would go fast and the big stuff would go as slow as it takes to get reasonable offers but certainly not 3 years.

Auctions are hit and miss. I've gotten some basement prices on some of my tools over the years for sure.

Barrie is close enough to Toronto area I feel like its a decent size buyers pool.
I usually avoid auctions outside of my area - Kitchener, Waterloo and some of the small towns ~20minutes from here, due to sky high prices.

But since covid the small auction hosts have gone online around here, so the sky high prices are here too now.

To auction or not to auction is a very difficult decision. You almost need to decide that before you sell anything as you want the big ticket items for the auction to attract a bigger crowd.
If it was me I'd throw some listings up and see what interest you get.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
My condolences on the loss of your friend.

I'm in the same ballpark as Dmech on prices. I own the same welder, and paid around $500 for mine, although I've seen them go for upwards of $1200. Somewhere around $7-800 would be a fair deal for both parties IMO. The CNC lathe is a tricky one. Might be a quick sale, because it's a manual/CNC toolroom version, or it might be impossible because it's an older control.

I really like the modification to the Colchester. Presumably for barrel work? Looks well thought out and well made. If I had the space, I'd be interested, but have nowhere to put it right now, or in the near future. I'm sure it'll be easy to find a home for.

Also like the stock duplicator. No idea of the value, but always wanted to build something similar, just scaled down for fishing lures. I've taken a lot of design cues from stock duplicator designs. Will get around to it someday....

I might be interested if there is a dividing head, or rotary table in the 10-12" range.

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
My condolences on the loss of your friend.

I'm in the same ballpark as Dmech on prices. I own the same welder, and paid around $500 for mine, although I've seen them go for upwards of $1200. Somewhere around $7-800 would be a fair deal for both parties IMO. The CNC lathe is a tricky one. Might be a quick sale, because it's a manual/CNC toolroom version, or it might be impossible because it's an older control.

I really like the modification to the Colchester. Presumably for barrel work? Looks well thought out and well made. If I had the space, I'd be interested, but have nowhere to put it right now, or in the near future. I'm sure it'll be easy to find a home for.

Also like the stock duplicator. No idea of the value, but always wanted to build something similar, just scaled down for fishing lures. I've taken a lot of design cues from stock duplicator designs. Will get around to it someday....

I might be interested if there is a dividing head, or rotary table in the 10-12" range.
Thank you Dan. I did not see a RT of that size.

M. Moore

Any idea on the year for the Mas 32 lathe? Would it come with the tooling and toolbox to the right of the machine? The tool holders for the toolpost are sitting there and probably quite a bit more stuff that goes with the machine. It would make it much more appealing if a bunch of that stuff was included.
Also is the right hand side shroud kicking around?
It is a long way to ship it out west but these are few and far between around here.

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Any idea on the year for the Mas 32 lathe? Would it come with the tooling and toolbox to the right of the machine? The tool holders for the toolpost are sitting there and probably quite a bit more stuff that goes with the machine. It would make it much more appealing if a bunch of that stuff was included.
Also is the right hand side shroud kicking around?
It is a long way to ship it out west but these are few and far between around here.
Yes, in regards to the toolbox, all or at least most of the multifix tool holders. I'm pretty sure the other shroud is behind the machine. I'll get the rest of the information for you in the next day or two.

Also comes with a toolpost grinder.

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Lillian Milling Machine Made in Taiwan
Model: 3VH
3Hp 550v/3p
Date of Manufacture: 2005
R8 Spindle
60-4200rpm
10"x50" table
Wt: 2750lbs
power feed in X
1-shot oiler
including:
6" GS Vise
R8 collets
Accurite 2 axis glass scales

$4,000.00 or best offer. (Please advise me if this price is not appropriate)

Attachments

• _DSC6503.JPG
    _DSC6503.JPG
    455.1 KB · Views: 23
  • _DSC6502.JPG
    _DSC6502.JPG
    377.5 KB · Views: 22
  • _DSC6501.JPG
    _DSC6501.JPG
    358 KB · Views: 17
  • _DSC6500.JPG
    _DSC6500.JPG
    414.8 KB · Views: 16
  • _DSC6499.JPG
    _DSC6499.JPG
    226.2 KB · Views: 14
  • _DSC6498.JPG
    _DSC6498.JPG
    231.5 KB · Views: 14
  • _DSC6497.JPG
    _DSC6497.JPG
    391 KB · Views: 14
  • _DSC6496.JPG
    _DSC6496.JPG
    261 KB · Views: 15
  • _DSC6495.JPG
    _DSC6495.JPG
    336.6 KB · Views: 16
  • _DSC6494.JPG
    _DSC6494.JPG
    465.2 KB · Views: 16
  • _DSC6493.JPG
    _DSC6493.JPG
    365.8 KB · Views: 17
  • _DSC6492.JPG
    _DSC6492.JPG
    689.8 KB · Views: 17
  • _DSC6491.JPG
    _DSC6491.JPG
    487.1 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I think it's appropriate but you prolly won't get that for it unless you wait for the right buyer. I'd aim for 3k or best offer to make sure it goes fast. You don't want to be still selling this 3 years from now.

It's either that or post it at 4k and be prepared to drop the price soon.

Just my 2 cents - add it to my tab. LOL!

PS - I'll be measuring that tap handle for you shortly.

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
IMO - it’s well worth 5K, but you won’t get it. It doesn’t much matter what the owner paid. Unfortunately (sadly) the owner isn’t there to answer questions or give a demo. It helps that it comes with a nice vise but 3p 550V is a big drawback.

M. Moore

Lillian for sale,
The good - DRO, X axis feed, vice, some tooling, not that old, popular model.
The bad - 550 volt, no Y axis feed, depending on usage it might be a bit worn in the middle as that is where the vice is mounted, however it may be fine.

The DRO adds over $1000 to the value so $4000 seems very reasonable given new prices for the same machine.

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Lillian for sale,
The good - DRO, X axis feed, vice, some tooling, not that old, popular model.
The bad - 550 volt, no Y axis feed, depending on usage it might be a bit worn in the middle as that is where the vice is mounted, however it may be fine.

The DRO adds over $1000 to the value so $4000 seems very reasonable given new prices for the same machine.
Yeah, considering someone is selling virtually the same milling machine for $10,900. A couple posts earlier.

KeeponDragon

Super User
condolences on your friends passing and kind regards to his Mrs.
wish I lived closer...I'm hopefully soon to be in the market for milling machine tooling and a vice.
it's nice that we have a great group of ppl not just willing to offer some experience n advice on this kind of situation, but to also make purchases.
cheers to you fellas