• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Tool Universal Bevel Protractor question.

Tool

Tmyatt

I have been a member of this forum for a while now but this is the first post. While I enjoy working with metal, I am not sure if I would qualify as a "hobby" metalworker as, the vast majority of my metal working is for repairing other tools, mostly woodworking machines and fixing metal items for friends and family. My metal working tools include the usual grinding equipment, drill press, metal band saw, Logan 10" metal lathe (I started learning on this lathe 65 years ago!) and an Ammco 7" metal shaper with all the accessories. In addition I have an assortment of measuring tools one of which is a VIS universal bevel protractor. I have had this in my tool box for so long I can't remember when and why I bought it and I don't believe I have ever used it. Is this something that is in common use these days? Looking for more information, a quick internet search added to the confusion as I saw one on Walmart.ca for $63 and another on Grainger.ca for $1102 which hardly makes sense. IMG_9515.jpeg Should I want to sell it and put the money into other tools that I would use, realistically speaking, is there a market and what is it really worth?
Other measuring tools I rarely if ever use are a 1"-2" micrometer and a Helios 11' vernier. Unlike the protractor they have seen a reasonable amount of use at some point. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Xyphota

Ultra Member
I don't have a price suggestion at the moment but I am interested in this if you decide to sell! Where about are you located? A good starting place would be to check ebay for similar items.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Hey - welcome from Ontario Farm Country. Sure sounds like you qualify to me! Welcome to our forum. Consider posting a proper introduction on the new member section.

Delete - I'll send you a PM on your bevel protractor.

Sorry, didn't see @Xyphota 's till after I posted.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
? Looking for more information, a quick internet search added to the confusion as I saw one on Walmart.ca for $63 and another on Grainger.ca for $1102 which hardly makes sense.
Knowing how competitive Grainger’s prices are that’s about right.
Heres a pic of a vernier protractor I picked up off Amazon for about $30USD. It reads to 1/30 degree. Made in China but it seems reasonably accurate. It’s small enough I can use it to set the compound on my lathe.
36644337-E27E-4E38-ACF7-A0E3EA73F6AA.jpeg

Tmyatt

As suggested, I checked E-bay to try and determine a realistic price. I had no idea how many were available and, as Jownwa said, you can buy one for as little as $40 Can. On the other hand you can spend $470 Can for a new Mitutoyo or over $800 Can on a new Starrett! It would appear that based on the prices shown, for something similar this set should be worth $200 Can as it is not a Chineese knock off but a precission tool made in Poland. Yes, at some point in it's life it has been used but, based on the condition very little and certainly not since I aquired it years or maybe decades ago. One piece is still in original wraping. The wooden box however has a crack in one of the wooden parts separating the various pieces as shown in the earlier photo and the locking hinges need adjustment to securly lock the box. After reading up on this tool, there have been times that I could have used it had I remembered I had it but for my type of metal work, those times would have been few and far between so I have decided to sell it. $200 plus postage. If interested, have questions or want further pictures please let me know. Tom

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
That is a Polish make, decent quality. I'd expect it to fetch 70-100 (I have sold them before) but then again everyone seems to have great expectations these days. Location also matters. While the quality is imo good, people are not going to chase that brand the way the will Mit or Starrett so its more competing the lower priced offering. Within the last year I sold Mit for 125 and a Vis for 75, both had to sit on kijiji for awhile so it wasn't like a stamped to a hot deal.

Its hard to make sense of the range from 63 and 1102, but obviously there are different qualities out there, and of course there is brands and the trust that (is supposed) to come with buying a brand.

I rarely use them, but its not never so I wouldn't get rid of mine.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
That is a Polish make, decent quality. I'd expect it to fetch 70-100 (I have sold them before) but then again everyone seems to have great expectations these days. Location also matters. While the quality is imo good, people are not going to chase that brand the way the will Mit or Starrett so its more competing the lower priced offering. Within the last year I sold Mit for 125 and a Vis for 75, both had to sit on kijiji for awhile so it wasn't like a stamped to a hot deal.

Its hard to make sense of the range from 63 and 1102, but obviously there are different qualities out there, and of course there is brands and the trust that (is supposed) to come with buying a brand.

I rarely use them, but its not never so I wouldn't get rid of mine.

I am Polish so I would rather have a VIS than say a Starrett. If you get any VIS tooling I would be interested in obtaining it.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I am Polish so I would rather have a VIS than say a Starrett. If you get any VIS tooling I would be interested in obtaining it.

Jez, I can't afford to think like that. German stuff is generally outrageous. I'll generally buy whatever works reliably enough to be able to trust it. I don't like to buy junk.